What is a Successful Burn for a Candle?

After months of many, many, many candle tests and failures, I finally had a couple of candles that I was happy with all the way down to the end of their burn. But as I was sitting there looking at the jars after the candles were done, I started to wonder what really defines a successful candle?

I realize the answer to that is very subjective. Everyone will have an opinion. I guess I'm wondering more in terms of a general guideline for success, and then more specifically, for a successful burn.

I attached a couple of pics of two "successes" I had, but I'm wondering if those of you who are more seasoned would think they were. One was a Coconut Lime Verbena candle, 4633 wax, HTP wick. The other was sparkle light palm, Vanilla Voodoo, and an Ultra core wick. CTs were nice on both, HTs were great. Both had a little film of wax left on the sides of the container, a little wick debris in the bottom, and both left a slight film of soot at the top of the jar (which didn't occur until the final couple of tests burns when the flame was further down in the container). During both tests, neither wick was trimmed at all. Neither jar got too hot for touching during testing until the very last test burns for the palm wax one. Flames were always good height, maybe even a little small at times for the HTP.

I guess I'm just wondering...is this the kind of result we should be aiming for with a candle? Should the jar have been cleaner with no residue? Is it possible to get a candle that leaves absolutely no soot behind or mushroom debris? What do your more experienced eyes watch for that mine aren't seeing?

Any of you who sell your candles and/or are extremely confident in your candles, your input/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

post-14873-0-28769100-1438473680_thumb.j

post-14873-0-62741200-1438473772_thumb.j

Guest OldGlory

First of all, congratulations on some successes along the way! I have enjoyed reading about your journey and your common sense approach to learning the craft. Very well done!!

In my opinion, a good candle burns nicely (not a wild flame, not a dwindling flame), gives a good fragrance throw, doesn't soot much, isn't a fire hazard, consumes most of the wax, and leaves the customer thinking 'that was worth every penny I spent', so a good value. In the past I had no trouble spending the money on a Yankme candle because I assumed I was getting a product that would perform well. I was very disappointed - too much soot, the wicks tunneled, and only an OK hot throw. I think people will keep buying a product that fulfills their expectations regardless of the cost and inconvenience that might be involved in getting it.

First of all, congratulations on some successes along the way! I have enjoyed reading about your journey and your common sense approach to learning the craft. Very well done!!

In my opinion, a good candle burns nicely (not a wild flame, not a dwindling flame), gives a good fragrance throw, doesn't soot much, isn't a fire hazard, consumes most of the wax, and leaves the customer thinking 'that was worth every penny I spent', so a good value. In the past I had no trouble spending the money on a Yankme candle because I assumed I was getting a product that would perform well. I was very disappointed - too much soot, the wicks tunneled, and only an OK hot throw. I think people will keep buying a product that fulfills their expectations regardless of the cost and inconvenience that might be involved in getting it.

Thank you so much, OldGlory. What you said perfectly sums up how I feel also, and that's exactly the experience I'd like to be able to give people...something that was definitely worth it, something I can pour my heart into, and something that reminds people how awesome handmade items can be.

I guess I worry that there's always something that needs to be improved. Like in my pics above, there was some soot left on the jar and wax residue. So now I'm wondering how can I improve so there's no soot and no wax, lol. Perhaps I've just gone to one extreme because I have seen a lot of people at the other end of it -- diving into this craft one week and then the next week already selling items at a craft fair or taking on wholesale accounts and then panicking when something goes wrong. I don't want to be like that. I want to be confident that I am giving people (even my testers, lol) something that is awesome and will be worth it.

Thanks again for your input and for watching my progress!

Guest OldGlory

I think we're all hoping to improve in some small way - tis the nature of the beast.

No film left on the sides of the jar? Probably not possible unless you have an inferno and that's not a good idea. Besides, with a really hot candle you're bound to get more soot.

A wide jar would maybe show soot less, since the flame is further from the sides. A minimally smaller wick might help also.

There will always be something new - new wax, new wicks, always a new challenge.

I know people like to burn all the wax up out of the jar but for safety sake there should be about 1/4 inch of wax left in the bottom. If your safety tab is not sealed to the bottom of your jar it will continue to draw wax up through the underside. This can lead to the jar cracking or shattering altogether. Insurance against a disaster would be to make sure your wick assembly is sealed against wax getting underneath IMHO. You aren't always going to get the perfect result because of the different compounds of fragrance oils. A good candle is a safe candle that fragrances a room, burns slowly and doesn't have a flame above the rim of the container. People are careless with  open flames and forget a candle has been power burning for 10 hours. You just explain that the little bit left in the bottom is on purpose and for their own safety.

Steve

• Like 1

I know people like to burn all the wax up out of the jar but for safety sake there should be about 1/4 inch of wax left in the bottom. If your safety tab is not sealed to the bottom of your jar it will continue to draw wax up through the underside. This can lead to the jar cracking or shattering altogether. Insurance against a disaster would be to make sure your wick assembly is sealed against wax getting underneath IMHO. You aren't always going to get the perfect result because of the different compounds of fragrance oils. A good candle is a safe candle that fragrances a room, burns slowly and doesn't have a flame above the rim of the container. People are careless with  open flames and forget a candle has been power burning for 10 hours. You just explain that the little bit left in the bottom is on purpose and for their own safety.

Steve

Thank you so much, Steve! Good grief...I can't believe I didn't think about the fact that the wax could still draw up from underneath the tab if it's not secure. Seems like such an obvious thing to watch for now that you mentioned it and one more thing I'll add to my checklist to watch. I might get tabs with taller necks to allow for a better "safety net" of wax at the bottom because I feel like the ones I have right now are too short. Safety is definitely my number one concern, so I appreciate all the advice and expertise you all have to offer.

I know you all must feel like broken records sometimes, but I hope you know how much novices like myself appreciate it. This forum is the only place I have found so far where I find I can get sound advice from people who have experience and know what they're talking about. So a big thanks to all of you!