Smells like fuel

Hello from Finland! Im new in candle making and so grateful that I found this wonderful server. I working and testing with 4627, CS fragrance oils and LX wicks. I use glass containers (dia 3" and height 3,5"). I have problems in HT. HT is quite strong, but I can smell fuel in it. I have tested 4 different fo's and fuel smell is always there. What cause this? Can anyone help me? 

Guest OldGlory

Hmmm... are you the one who recently posted that fragrances make you sick?

The only fragrance you listed that I have tried is White Tea & Berries - no hint of a fuel smell to it for me. I think it might be your sense of smell.

Edited:

Or, it's the wax or dye if you are using dye.

Edited by OldGlory

Normally its the citrus notes or all citrus FOs as Old Glory mentioned that can cause a fuel or kerosene smell. It can be fixed by adding a touch of vanilla FO. If that doesn't work it could be the FOs have gone bad. That is not likely to happen but on occasionally it can. Out of 10 yrs of using FOs I have had maybe 2 go bad on me and I have used thousands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont use dye. I have used esosoya 135 before and now i'm using Igi 4627. I swiched ecosoya to 4627 because that fuel smell and weak ht. Fuel smell didnt go away, but ht is much better and stronger now. Could wrong size wick cause fuel smell?

Guest OldGlory

So, are you saying that you got a fuel smell and weak hot throw with ecosoya wax and 4627?

When you open the bottle of fragrance oil, do you smell fuel there? (before making the candle)

What else do you put in the wax?

Thank you for your help. I had weak ht and fuel smell in Ecosoya. Now ht is very strong with 4627, but fuel smell is still there. CT is also very good and strong. There is no fuel smell. And I dont smell fuel if I smell fragrance straight to the bottle. I dont put anything else in the wax. I add my fo when wax is 185 degrees F. I stir about 2 minutes and pour 82 degrees. Candles looks perfect. I let them cure about 2 days before testing. (with soy I waited at least 4 days) Should I wait longer? I use lx wicks. I havent found right wick yet for 4627. That's why I wonder if that could be the reason. 

Guest OldGlory

You don't smell the fuel smell out of the bottle, only when the candle is burning?

I think you would smell it out of the bottle if the source was the fragrance. My guess is that it's something else causing the fuel smell.

Thank you for your help. I had weak ht and fuel smell in Ecosoya. Now ht is very strong with 4627, but fuel smell is still there. CT is also very good and strong. There is no fuel smell. And I dont smell fuel if I smell fragrance straight to the bottle. I dont put anything else in the wax. I add my fo when wax is 185 degrees F. I stir about 2 minutes and pour 82 degrees. Candles looks perfect. I let them cure about 2 days before testing. (with soy I waited at least 4 days) Should I wait longer? I use lx wicks. I havent found right wick yet for 4627. That's why I wonder if that could be the reason. 

Don't you get a lot of mushrooming with LX wicks in Comfort Blend? Probably not a good choice. Try HP or CD/Stabilo. The size and type of wick could have something to do with it.

What are you heating your wax in? What do you heat your wax up to? Your heating temp? Does the wax give off a smell by itself when you heat it?

I heat my wax up in pan, in inductiostove. Could this be the reason? I heat my wax to 185 degrees and add fo. Im just burning one test candle without fo. I cannot smell fuel, so I dont think it's the wax. Today Im going to testburn Pink sugar type candle. I let you know, if there is fuel smell too. 

Don't you get a lot of mushrooming with LX wicks in Comfort Blend? Probably not a good choice. Try HP or CD/Stabilo. The size and type of wick could have something to do with it.

I have tested Lx 16 and 18 now. No mushroomin, but these wicks are way to small for my container. Flame is very small and weak. I get more wicks next week. I'm going to test Stabilo, HTP and ZG wicks . I get bigger LX wicks too. If I don't find proper wick, can I  doublewick my container? Or is it too small? (Dia 3", height 3,5")

It's most likely your fo/wick combination.  Try switching to a different type of wick and you will probably see that fuel smell disappear.

I personally do not like LX wicks.  In Ecosoya the Premier wicks work quite well, some citrus as stated before always gives a slight fuel smell.

• Like 1

I made little more research. I remelt one of my test candles (I burned it 6h ago) and it smell awful! :lipsrsealed2: Fuel isn't right word, it's more like exhaust fumes. Wax from the box don't smell anything, but wax in candles I have burned smells like exhaust fumes. :Werd: What could cause this? Is this normal? Now I understand that side smell. 

I am still wondering if it has something to do with your heating method. Either the pan or your heating itself. Wonder if the pan is actually 'cooking' your wax or it could also be something coming off the pan that is mixing into the wax. What is the pan made of? Not sure what an inducto stove is?

I bet if you switched to a presto pot to heat your wax in the problem would be gone.

• Like 2

I bet if you switched to a presto pot to heat your wax in the problem would be gone.

I have to agree with Candy here. Everything else, well, it doesn't add up, so I think this would be the only thing that would make sense. IMO anyway...

• Like 2

Induction stove is very fast and hot stove. I have heated wax in alumin pots. Now I understand that wax may have got too hot. Thanks to you!! :thumbsup2:

I make new test candles tomorrow with dobel boiler. I will came back to tell you results.  

Thanks again. I'm very thankful all of you.  :wub:

I haven't used any of the fragrances you're testing, but I have had problems with some fo that contain citrus & some that contain peppermint.  As Candybee mentioned, you might first try adding a bit of vanilla fragrance oil.  (And, some of us will pick up the kerosene smell when others don't, for example, my husband doesn't usually smell it, even when I say that I do.)

I am still wondering if it has something to do with your heating method. Either the pan or your heating itself. Wonder if the pan is actually 'cooking' your wax or it could also be something coming off the pan that is mixing into the wax.

I can't say about something mixing into the wax, but I know the ingredients and formula for that blend and it's not possible to make the wax itself smell like that by heating it.

What percentage of fragrance  oil are you using?  Small flame with a strong HT doesn't add up. You shouldn't have much fragrance if your melt pool is small or shallow. Do you see a lot of soot with your candles? Too much fragrance oil with inadequate wick might be the problem.  Your wax might have picked up some jet fuel fumes on shipment? That's got to be a long flight from  CS to Finland with plenty of opportunities to contaminate your wax (I guess) but my money is on too much fragrance oil.

Steve