How to minimize 'drag' in balms

Candybee

I've got a solid lotion recipe I like but it doesn't 'glide' on. How can I improve it so there is less drag.

Also, I want to try Butter EZ in my lip balm to help with graininess and wondering if it will also help with drag for the solid lotion?

Never mind.... was looking at the Butter EZ and the description says it helps with graininess and reduces drag. So I will just have to give it a try.

But if you do know of any other ways to reduce drag in balms I would love to know. Thanks!

Thanks for the wax tip. I did use half beeswax and half candelila in the solid lotion balm.

On the other hand, I am thinking of going all vegan and want to try caranauba and candlila together in the lip balm. Maybe in the solid lotion too but not sure yet. I want to use up my beeswax first before I decide.

I read that caranauba adds a shine to lip balm. Will the carnauba just add more drag or will a blend of both caranauba and candelilla be okay?

Hmmm... the other thing is the IPM and cetyl stearol alcohol. I wanted to try both together so I used 2 tsp IPM and 1.5 tsp cetyl stearol alcohol in a 32 lb batch of my solid lotion. Now I am wondering if that may also be causing part of the drag? I want the lotion to feel dry to the touch as possible and not greasy. It definitely doesn't feel greasy. But could it be causing the drag?

Edited by Candybee

When I was on Lotion Crafters website ordering the Butter EZ I also ordered some chamomile and calendula extracts. Can't wait to try them out!

I bet it will take me months or maybe next year before I get my solid lotion and lip balm recipes tweaked the way I like them! The good news is I know how I want them to feel and work on skin/lips. Getting the recipe just right will probably make me want to pull my hair out!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to making up some new solid lotions. I lowered the IPM and Cetyl S. Alcohol and added a small % of castor oil. Its a bit softer and glides much better, still goes on dry without feeling greasy, plus I didn't have to use the Butter EZ! Now I can save the Butter EZ for my lip balms!

Thanks to all for your wonderful suggestions! I was able to fix the problems and make a much better quality solid lotion.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1