I love Square!

Candybee

I finally got to use my Square reader for the first time today! Woohoo! It was so easy. Its been a while since I have taken charge cards since I cancelled my merchant account. I love that there are no hidden fees or costs like with my old merchant account.

Just wish I had gotten set up sooner!

• Like 2

I also love my square! It's the best, isn't it? I use it even when taking cash because then I know exactly how much money I took in via the report it generates. It also helps with accounting and inventory. Such a great little tool! 

• Like 4

Yeah I've been debating whether to do the cash feature on it too. For me its more of a time issue since I am the only one in my booth when I get busy I don't think I am going to have the time to do every sale that way. Buts its cool it has all those features. Maybe I can just enter the cash after the show/market ends. We'll see.

• Like 1

I do the cash because they have the option of an emailed receipt, same as if they used the card. I'm the only one in my booth as well, and for me (of course I'm probably not as busy as you) it only takes an extra couple seconds to punch in the cash sale, so it works for me. I've never taken any checks, but if I did, I'd use it for that too. 

I finally got to use my Square reader for the first time today! Woohoo! It was so easy. Its been a while since I have taken charge cards since I cancelled my merchant account. I love that there are no hidden fees or costs like with my old merchant account.

Just wish I had gotten set up sooner!

Is it just not the easiest tool to use to take money?  I have only used it for credit cards, but the whole system is so easy to use and the money gets in your account quickly. Love it! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What credit card changes TT? I haven't heard anything?

Huge changes, Jcandle. I've been getting notices from paypal and square for months.

Come October when taking credit cards in person you need to use the special new chip card readers or all fraud liability falls directly on you the merchant. If you process a chip card using the mag stripe you automatically forfeit fraud protection for the sale. Moreover, if the card is faked, you can be fined heavily.

Paypal and square both are allowing us to reserve readers.

https://squareup.com/apple-pay

Square says "free" but it is actually rebate driven. Pay $49 and get back rebates in the form of processing fee reversals for a short period of time.

They have not addressed how to handle liability chip cards over the web. I will be eliminating direct processing of cards on my shop in favor of people processing their web cc orders through a third party, probably paypal.

• Like 1

They already sent the new chip reader to me and I will be using it at my next show.  What gets me is that the banks are really not all that quick about switching.  I just had two new debits cards sent to me but they are still the swipe kind.  

I just got my square reader so its still all new to me. I did hear from a fellow crafter that they will be changing to the new reader and that you could sign up for it now. I haven't yet but plan to.

So the new reader is supposed to take the newer cards with the chip? Is that that little square on the corner area of some of the cards I see? It looks like a hologram or something?

Edited by Candybee

When we get the new chip reader, do we keep the mag stripe reader to use for cards that don't have the chip?

Yes.

What the change comes down to is this: card services is trying to cut their fraud losses. By shifting the accountability and financial burden for fraudulent charges to us, the merchant, they are more profitable. If a card has the chip, and a merchant chooses to run the mag strip instead, the merchant assumes all financial responsibility if the charge is fraudulent.

Well it better work on my LG Volt android phone. I just got it and even thou its not a newer version phone its all I could afford.

All the Square site says is that my new reader will be shipped later this year. So I am wondering why pcbrook already has the new chip reader? Are they already sending them out? Sort of like first come first served?

Did a little more digging. They make it really hard to understand there are TWO chip readers available:

One is the Apple version, the $49 / "free" if you use it enough to get the fee rebates for the limited time. Available some time around October if you reserve now.

The other is the non-apple one for a flat $29. That one is available now.

The $29 is the same price PayPal is offering for their chip reader.

Can't find my confirmation for the Apple one, but was told i can cancel it and just buy the $29 one.

re the $49 one there is a list of supported devices available on Squares website; some, other than Apple, are supported.    I emailed Square, giving specifics on my phone, and received an answer within a reasonable time.

I had pre-ordered the $49 one, and they canceled the order without any charges, etc.

We have been using Square for two years and love it!  Never used the little square thingy that plugs into your phone. We use Square Register Stand at the store and the Square Iphone app for wholesale orders. We use Shopify for our website orders (only because we don't know how to connect to Square yet). Love all of the reports and quick deposits. Got to order the new Square Register Stand this week to be ready in October. But, go with Square. They are great.