Best Sandalwood FO

jackbenimble

Hiyeeeeeeeeeee!

Anyway I'm looking for a really good sandalwood that throws great in soy. I have tried CS Driftwood and its ok. I've also tried Hawaiian Sandalwood from AH and it was very light.

I've purchased a sample of Aztec sandalwood and its very perfumy. Is that how sandalwood smells? I'm thinking not. 

Gonna give Purple Sandalwood from AH a try and does Peak have a sandalwood? If so I'm goning to give that one a try. 

So IYO which ones have you tried(even if its not from the ones mentioned above) that work well in soy?

Thank you!

Guest OldGlory

Tradewinds Hawaiian Sandalwood was the best - that is supposed to be what AH/RE has. Maybe they changed the formula. I have a sample I haven't put in wax yet.

BCN Sandalwood Vanilla is good, not a lot of vanilla in it. Still, it's not great.

Aztec's resins are not good to me. I like a lot of their FO's but some not so much.

I like a resinous FO to sneak up on me, not slap me in the face.

Brambleberry has the best Patchouli, and I am super finicky about Patchouli. Maybe you should try a sandalwood from them.

Tradewinds Hawaiian Sandalwood was the best - that is supposed to be what AH/RE has. Maybe they changed the formula. I have a sample I haven't put in wax yet.

BCN Sandalwood Vanilla is good, not a lot of vanilla in it. Still, it's not great.

Aztec's resins are not good to me. I like a lot of their FO's but some not so much.

I like a resinous FO to sneak up on me, not slap me in the face.

Brambleberry has the best Patchouli, and I am super finicky about Patchouli. Maybe you should try a sandalwood from them.

Thank you for the recommendation OG. I will put that on my list.

My only reservation with BB oils is the cost. They are somewhat higher than I am willing to pay but you never know.

Any thoughts on Peaks Asian Sandalwood? From anyone?  

I was *just* on OT's site to order some Bug-off and noticed they have a Mysore Sandalwood that they claim is the closest thing to a real sandalwood. I bought a sample to sniff but have no idea how it will be in wax. Maybe someone else here has tried it?

Peaks has an awesome sandalwood that throws strong in parasoy and palm. Its called Asian Sandalwood. I use it in CP soap too and its wonderful to soap too!

I tried AH's Hawaiian Sandalwood in CP. Its not anything like the original that Tradewinds. AH failed miserably in their formulation of the oil. I was extremely disappointed. Even OOB it has no sandalwood note that's even noticable. Same deal with Soapalooza's Hawaiian Sandalwood. Although Soapalooza's had a distinct coconut note that sticks in CP. But no detectable sandalwood.

I think the problem with a lot of sandalwood formulations is the component they are using for the sandalwood. The real EO, or the good one, the mysore sandalwood is over $300 bucks an ounce. So I think many formulations are subbing with a cheap oil or a dupe instead of the mysore sandalwood. You would know the difference right away if they were using the good stuff and the price would not be cheap.

Peaks is very nice and my customers love it. It is always a good seller. I love mixing it with some patchouli for a sandalwood patchouli.

I like sun-warmed sandalwood from candle cacoon. It smells like how I think sandalwood should smell like, if that makes sense. I have never had real sandalwood eo to compare. It soaps beautifully and I love it in parasoy tarts.

I used Peak's Asian Sandalwood in paraffin as a special request.  And even though I am not a sandalwood fan, this was really nice and smooth.  I actually have it in a melt form, JBN, and will mail that to you if you would like to try it that way before you purchase.  Just LMK. 

Thank you for the recommendations everyone. I am going to give Peaks sandalwood a try next time I order.

Thank you for the offer barbara. I purchase there frequently so I'll just pick up a sample but thank you again for the generous offer of sending a sample.

Have you tried Fillmore's Cedar Garland? Its a lovely blend of cedar and sandalwood and smells beautiful in candles and soap. It has an almost Christmassy scent to it. I sell it year round by renaming after the holidays.

No I haven't. It sounds wonderful! I haven't ever shopped at Filmore so I may have to give them a look. Thank you for the suggestion!

I've been using Sandalwood Extra from NDA.  My customers love it.

ETA a little background info:  i have a customer that orders literally hundreds of tealights from me every couple of weeks and he loves sandalwood.  He begged me to make them with EO and I told him that wasn't gonna happen *shudder* , so I ordered samples from just about every big supplier there is.  i gave him samples of each and NDA is what he ended up choosing.

Edited by nursenancy

Have you tried Fillmore's Cedar Garland? Its a lovely blend of cedar and sandalwood and smells beautiful in candles and soap. It has an almost Christmassy scent to it. I sell it year round by renaming after the holidays.

I love that scent and just love the name too "Cedar Garland".  Funny you should mention it Candybee as it is on my list to make up some more and rename but haven't been able to think up a good name.....

Trappeur

• Like 1

I love that scent and just love the name too "Cedar Garland".  Funny you should mention it Candybee as it is on my list to make up some more and rename but haven't been able to think up a good name.....

Trappeur

I call it Cedar Garland during the holidays. But off season I call it Cedar Sandalwood. Have you tried it in your M&P soap yet? It makes awesome M&P. I need to get some to try it out in CP and see if it stick. Even if I end up not using it in CP I still make holiday candles with the scent. Customers just love it!!

Maybe you could start a new discussion thread to get a new name for it! If you do I'll put some suggestions in it for ya!

Edited by Candybee

pure Fragrance Oils sent me a sample of Oh My sandalwood. It's pretty nice OOB.

The perfumery Sandalwood and SweetCakes sandalwood smell similar.

BB sensuous sandalwood is OK.

None of them are rock your world strong, but they do smell great in blends for Cp and candles.

• Like 1

I just got my order from EBB with the Satara Sandalwood. OOB is smells nice like a spa type scent, a bit perfumy. But I am not detecting any sandalwood notes. The 'sandalwood' note I smell is similar to AH's Hawaiian Sandalwood. Instead of sandalwood it smells more like paperback books, nice paperback books. LOL So a papery wood type of scent. Not a sandalwood.  Sigh. Another disappointment!

So far I am not seeing any that out do Peaks Asian Sandalwood. It definitely has a strong sandalwood scent and a powdery note in it. CPs very nicely and makes awesome candles. Customers love it too. It works great alone or as a mixer. I love mixing with patchouli.

Just got my order from Peak today and the Asian Sandalwood smells good and strong OOB. Definitely is a layered sandalwood FO. Can't wait to make a tester.

In a blend do you think this is a FO that takes over if not used in certain percentages?

When I use it as a mixer I do a 50/50% blend. In CP soap it tends to fade a bit so you would want to be sure to not go under 50%. In candles its not a problem as it doesn't fade or morph and tends to be strong. So you just have to use your nose when blending.

I am going to try a blend of the Asian Sandalwood and EBB's Toasted Coconut and Shea in a batch of CP pretty soon. I am trying to make my own version of Hawaiian Sandalwood. I want a sweet, soft sandalwood with toasted coconut notes in it. I am in love with the Toasted Coconut and Shea and just got a 4oz sample to play around with.

• Like 1

I took the bait and decided to try the Peak's Asian Sandalwood also. I love the scent and am going to blend with Patchouli, but I think this would be also awesome to blend with Candle Science's Caribbean Teakwood and a touch of something else (gotta think about this one) for Fall candles. Candybee...your blend sounds wonderful...I love the idea of getting some coconut blended with the Asian Sandalwood. I have Coconut from Tennessee Candle Supply and may try experimenting with that....oh I am so glad that it will be soon be Fall and that people will really start burning candles again. :) It gives us great excuses to buy these awesome scents and to do some fun blending.

Edited by puma52

If you want an awesome blend for Asian Sandalwood try mixing it 50/50% with EBB's Patchouli Honey. It makes a honey sweet earthy, sandalwood patchouli fragrance that has been a best seller for me for years! I even have a B&B that buys this in CP. Anyway, any patchouli blends well with the sandalwood.

Forgot to add I CP'd the Asian Sandalwood with EBB's Toasted Oats and Shea and its curing in my backroom. Everytime I walk into that room I am in heaven smelling that scent! Its a knockout blend in CP! Haven't tried it in candles but if its good in CP its probably fantastic in candles. It smells like a sweet sandalwoody coconut with notes of oats and maple and brown sugar. Absolutely yum yum!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

If you want an awesome blend for Asian Sandalwood try mixing it 50/50% with EBB's Patchouli Honey. It makes a honey sweet earthy, sandalwood patchouli fragrance that has been a best seller for me for years! I even have a B&B that buys this in CP. Anyway, any patchouli blends well with the sandalwood.

Forgot to add I CP'd the Asian Sandalwood with EBB's Toasted Oats and Shea and its curing in my backroom. Everytime I walk into that room I am in heaven smelling that scent! Its a knockout blend in CP! Haven't tried it in candles but if its good in CP its probably fantastic in candles. It smells like a sweet sandalwoody coconut with notes of oats and maple and brown sugar. Absolutely yum yum!

That sounds like a wonderful and heavenly blend Candybee....both of them do.....I can almost smell your soap now.... :)

• Like 1