Soaping save or disaster?

Candybee

Ever have one of those days where you are busy making your soap. You get everything weighed out, put together, perfectly blended, then you pour it in the mold and realize its short?!!

Happened to me today. The only indication something might be wrong was when I was weighing out my olive oil. I know I tared the scale and carefully weighed my oil. I even remember SEEING the correct weight on the scale for it. But after I added it in I thought the batter looked a little smaller than usual. But then I was using a bigger mixing bowl so I didn't think anything more about it until I poured in the mold. Then I realized it was almost an inch too short than normal.

So I poured olive oil into the mold. Yes I did! And SB'd it right there in the mold. I have no idea if I have the right amount of OO in the soap or not. I totally eye balled the batter level in the mold as I know exactly how high it should be.

Just checked it a minute ago. It looks fine and is halfway gelled. But it could still be either lye heavy or too oily. Sigh.  This seems to be the year I am oil challenged!

Lye heavy - problem - too much oil, eh, it should be okay. It will just be "extra" superfatted. Which will probably mean it will be super moisturizing. 

When it's ready to cut (which may take longer if it's superfatted too much) just make sure to do a zap test and all should be well... 

• Like 1

This morning I unmolded and cut the soap. All the bars look good. Held them up for inspection and checked them against my last batch. They are the exact same size and color. So I took one of the end pieces and washed my hands with it. Even though its less than 24 hrs old it feels great and lathers great the way this recipe normally does. To be sure I will bathe with it so I get a chance to see how it makes my entire skin feel. So I will have to wait a bit for it to cure. But so far looks and feels like its okay.

I now know something happened when I tared the scale for the olive oil. I think the last oil I weighed may have still been registering and when I hit tare it didn't take. I should have doubled checked it but didn't cause I thought I remembered seeing it zero out. Oh well, another lesson learned. Always make sure when you hit tare that it actually does tare. I could swear I did this but I guess I will have to double check from now on.

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

A less experienced soaper would not have noticed the difference in the batch to begin with. Good save!

Do you normally weigh the soap pot before adding additives and such? It has saved my bacon loads of times!

This morning I unmolded and cut the soap. All the bars look good. Held them up for inspection and checked them against my last batch. They are the exact same size and color. So I took one of the end pieces and washed my hands with it. Even though its less than 24 hrs old it feels great and lathers great the way this recipe normally does. To be sure I will bathe with it so I get a chance to see how it makes my entire skin feel. So I will have to wait a bit for it to cure. But so far looks and feels like its okay.

I now know something happened when I tared the scale for the olive oil. I think the last oil I weighed may have still been registering and when I hit tare it didn't take. I should have doubled checked it but didn't cause I thought I remembered seeing it zero out. Oh well, another lesson learned. Always make sure when you hit tare that it actually does tare. I could swear I did this but I guess I will have to double check from now on.

Food for thought for all of us Candybee.....sounds like another successful batch of soap for you. You saved the day! Yea!! :)

• Like 1