Candle Refund Scam Alert

Hi all! I just wanted to share that I've received the second scam email trying to get a refund for a candle and wanted to share this in case it happens to any of you. The first email I received was a year ago from someone saying my candle glass broke and what can I do about it? I spoke with this person going back and forth it turns out they couldn't show a picture of the damage and the person they say purchased the candle didn't exist (we had records of every sale and no wholesale clients at the time) I received another email yesterday from someone who said they received a candle as a gift and it left major soot on their ceiling causing damage and what can I do? I test extensively to avoid soot so I was panicked until I realized this email pretty much matched the old email about the broken candle jar. After going back and forth, again, a photo could not be sent due to the fact that "his girlfriend threw out the candle in disgust". I asked for a name of the person who gifted the candle and it was the same name as was used a year ago, Carol Smith, someone we've never sold a candle to!

I just wanted to make everyone aware of this shady email and make sure to get photos as proof before offering any sort of refund. These people are convincing, I am pretty good at spotting a scam and it took a while to figure it out. 

• Like 2

I get these periodically. I always ask for pictures, and if they want a full refund, they are to return the product via Certified Mail, and upon receipt of the product, I will then refund both product and return shipping, but not until. 

Also, right on my site my return policy basically says do to the nature of the products I sell, I offer no return of the product. If it's a scam, when I point out this, I usually don't hear from them again, if it's a legitimate customer with a true faulty product, we work it out. (has only happened a couple times, as I am very small time) 

Here's the actual wording of my policy stated on my site - 

Returns Policy
Due to the nature of the products we sell, it is the policy of The Candle Attic that all sales are final. 
No returns or exchanges on any items.
However, we strive for customer satisfaction, and in the event there is a concern or problem with any product you purchase from us, please let us know right away and we will investigate. 
Thank you for your understanding.
  • Like 3

Thanks for the advice, i'm stunned he's been doing this for so long and sorry, I would have added this to the business section had I known. His email persona is super friendly, it is amazing how he can sleep at night, targeting small mom & pop candle companies is pretty low.

• 3 months later...

Just received a letter from this Paul A Hanson. We are not a crafting company but a importer/ distributor of foreign and domestic made items. I knew something was up when i received a hand written letter on a $1.65 item. Who does this kind of stuff. Glad i found this thread.

• 2 weeks later...