Scent fading in lotion? only 3 days later.

TAH

I made some lotion this weekend with a recipe that I found on these boards. The recipe got rave reviews from everybody and I agree it is awesome. The only problem is my scent is already fading. 

The recipe was 

15.6 oz water

1.5 oz Steric

1.5 oz  E-wax

7.5 oz Olive Oil

3 oz Avocado butter ( I used Shea)

.3 oz FO

.3 Liquid Par Optima (I used Germaben II) 

.15 oz Vit E

.15 Dry Flo (I used Tapioca Starch) 

The recipe did not have directions so I read about how to make lotion on another site. I heated the water to 167 and held for 20 minutes. heated the oil, e-wax and steric, added the shea butter letting it melt, slowly added the water while using stick blender then finally the fragrance at the end after I emulsified everything. Did I do something wrong? Should I have added the fragrance while adding the water and emulsified it all together? Is it my scent? I used a scent that got really good reviews for all types of things lotions, CP Soap.

I wait to add my scent until right before I bottle my lotion. 

Was your lotion cool when you added the scent? How much did you add? 

I only add about 5-6 drops to a 4oz bottle and it is sometimes too strong depending on the scent. 

The lotion was not completely cool no. Was that my problem? I added the .15 ml of FO to a half batch. Maybe not enough FO ? It was about 20 oz of lotion or so. I just kept in tupperware. 

Temps are pretty important when making hydrous emulsion. Did you use a thermometer? For instance, your preservative needs to be added at 140*F or below or it may not be effective.

Fragrance is usually added toward the end, often with the preservative, but not always. I have never seen recommendations to add during the heat and hold phases.

The FO line in the formula of the OP calculates to 1%, which is in line with typical formulas. Make sure to check the IFRA recommendations for the chosen fragrance though to make sure it is appropriate at that level. The comment just above about .15ml added to half a batch is different from .3oz. Point 15ml is about .005 fluid ounces .

Make sure you use a good scale for lotion making. Volume measurements for lotion making may lead to very inconsistent products. I find measuring in grams is the most accurate, especially for ingredients like preservatives that have very low usage rates and tight safety tolerances.

• Like 1

Thanks you guys. You are correct I did my math wrong on that FO when I cut down the recipe. I am using a thermometer and a good scale. Now I just need to start using a calculator!  

I am no expert. .

But I have made many batches of lotion. .

I don't scent until I am ready to put it in containers..or when lotion is completely cool.

I have found some fo's takes more than others..

So it is really up to you on how heavy scented you want your lotion..

I always start off light...you can always add more. .

But do remember. ..when you let it set overnight. .i have found most time the scent will mature and get stronger..

But experimenting, to me is the fun of it. .

Edited to say. .i always stay within the suggested

Guidelines

Edited by 8-GRAN-ONES