Another newbie has questions

How long should I allow 4627 and 4630 (separately) to cure for before I light them? What are the optimal temps to add fragrance and pour that you have found? What little tips/tricks do you have for working with these? Do any of you only use one of these waxes for container candles and love it?

Also, I am thinking of mixing one of these with 464 to make a parasoy blend. What one would you recommend I do this with? I'm thinking of 70% paraffin and 30% 464 to start. Also, based on the paraffin that you recommend for the mix, what would the temps be to add fragrance, to pour, and the cure time for the blend?

I love the way that 464 looks and burns, however, I am not getting a good hot throw. I have read that it can be a variety of variables, but I would like to add a paraffin to see if this improves it.

I have 8 oz tins, with a 3" diameter, and I have htp, zinc, and eco wicks that I can use.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and give me your advice. I have already spent more money on this new hobby than I should have!

Periodically, I go on the prowl for a new wax blend. I've tried mixing those waxes with 464 and 415 in several different ratios and didn't care for any of them. The bottom line with your goal is simply to do a lot of testing. I poured the different formulas at about 185 degrees with no wick and using 6% fragrance load. Labeled each container and then made a hole with a skewer and inserted a wick. I started testing several days after the pour and set a timer and made observations about the melt pool, flame and throw (both hot and cold) which were written down. If a wick was not working, I blew it out and with a pair of pliers pulled it out (after cooling) and inserted a new one. None of the formulas were as good as the wax I was using and the cost was much higher; so I stayed put with my old wax. You should get a range of responses from other folks on these popular waxes but the only thing to do is test. Time and money. Color should not make a difference in your final product, so I wouldn't bother to color but certainly you can add color if you like. I think testing is the cheapest way to make a decision but don't expect to get an "aha" moment from reinventing the wheel.  HTH

Steve

Guest OldGlory

The manufacturers of candle wax provide the suggested heating and pouring temps. I would definitely stick to those recommendations because they've already done the testing.

I don't use either of the paraffin waxes you mentioned, but I have worked with 464 for many years and get an awesome hot throw from it. 415 not so much, but in glass jars this wax did not frost which is a miracle, lol. I use a 6% FO load and Premier wicks.

Testing is how we all arrive at what works and doesn't work and there are no shortcuts unfortunately. It is expensive to test, yes, we've all been there. You just have to keep plugging along. Good luck!

Chuck- Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind sharing, what was your old wax that you went back to? I really like the skewer idea, that will save some wax and fragrance! As of now, I'm not planning on using color. So that will be one less thing to worry about. I will continue to test!

OldGlory- You're right, the manufacturer is a good place to start. I really wish that I could get a better hot throw with 464 since I really like working with it. I will continue to test. I'm making a batch today, so fingers crossed that it goes well!

You are thinking about far too much at once. Best advice from a 20 year veteran...Pick one wax, work with it, follow manufacutrer and distributor advice THEN move on if it does not work or isn't what you want. After working doing tech support for a supplier for 15 years, I can tell you that most people that start with that much on their plates before they fully understand process get frustrated, give up and ultimately fail. :)

I agree with Flicker. You've got too many things going on. Choose one wax and work with it for a while. If it doesn't meet your expectations, move on to the next one.

As a starting point maybe try.... 4627 with zinc wicks. I've used that combo successfully in the past. As far as cure time, I burn within 24 - 48 hours using 4627.

I'm testing 4630 now but so far I'm not overly impressed with the hot throw but it's a new wax for me so I'm not giving up yet.

Edited by JudyR83

I agree with Flicker. It can be overwhelming to try too many variables at once. Read up on the different waxes and pick one that you think you'll like. Like Old Glory, I use 464 and I really like it. My cousin makes candles and when she used 464, she hated it. So you have to test and find what fits your personal preference. There is no one correct answer. I know that with 464, I let the candles cure for about 2 weeks before lighting or selling them. I remember falling in love with the pineapple coconut scent and couldn't wait to try it. I made my candle and waited about three days before testing it. Couldn't smell a thing. I wanted to cry! I ended up sticking it in a box and forgetting about it. I found it a few months down the line and boy did that little sucker cook! So if you aren't getting the throw you want with 464, sit it aside for about two weeks and see if the throw gets better. There are other issues like candle nose that may make you think your candles aren't throwing. Can anyone else smell them? I've used ECO wicks and get a decent throw with them. I have since switched to CDs though. Maybe try a sampler pack of the CDs and Premiere wicks before attempting to blend the wax. We know that 464 is capable of giving a very good throw, so before dumping or blending it, you may want to consider testing other variables. It's much cheaper to buy one wax than to keep having to blend. HTH

Good luck! 

Shoegal,

I hate the waiting game! I am very impatient, however, I am learning that I must wait in order to get a good scent throw. I will light a 464 candle after its cured for two weeks and see if the throw is any better. I would love to be able to do just soy if I can get a good throw! 464 is the only wax that I wouldn't have to pay shipping for, so I hope my cured candles smell great.

Guest OldGlory

I know for a fact that producing an excellent candle with 464 is possible, and I know that not every wax works with every fragrance. Why not simply decide to find the fragrances and wicks that work nicely with 464 and give you a great throw? If it costs you less in the long run by not having to ship the wax, it is certainly the way I would do it!

You can check the Fragrance Discussion thread and look for the fragrances that work well in 464.

Old Glory,

I am happy to report that after a longer cure time, I am getting a pretty good hot throw with 464 and I am using Eco wicks. Have your customers ever mentioned the rough tops that this wax gets after it is burned? Do they mind? I know this is common with soy wax.

Thank you for everyone's help! I am still testing to see what's the right combo is for me!

Guest OldGlory

I am glad to hear that the longer cure time is helping. That's awesome!

I've been making soy wax candles for 14 years, selling for about 13. Nobody, not one person or client, has ever complained about the way they look after they cool down. And I always give my wholesale clients samples and one full candle to burn to experience the candle start to finish. While I think it looks wierd, and I know they must too, my conclusion is that the performance of the candle outweighs the post burn appearance. I have had a lot of feedback over the years about how the candle stays strong all the way to the end, about having little or no waste of wax in the burn process, about the lack of soot, and about the cold throw.

The only complaints I have had:

1. When I was making aromatherapy candles with essential oils and someone didn't like the scent of one essential oil.

2. When I switched over to fragrance oils, one customer complained the day after she bought a candle that it was too strong.

IMO a candle can never be too strong! But to each their own! If those are the only "complaints" that you have received, that's great! I'm glad no one seems to care about the thought tops. How many square feet should my hot throw reach when lit? I have a 3 in diameter container.

Guest OldGlory

That's a good question but not one I can answer. My house is pretty small and there are so many variables. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I think if a 3" wide candle can fill a normal size living room you have a winner.