Mosquito repellent

Those pesky 'skeeters are out early this year. Doing all the yardwork this past week I have been eaten alive!

Anyone have a recipe for a homemade mosquito repellant? I was thinking a combo of repellent EOs in a base of distilled water and/or rubbing alcohol?

All I know is I can't breathe using products with Deet and I think most commercial repellents are overpriced and usually tend to effect my lungs.

I want to make my own.

This is one that I found online a while back.  They are sure out this year in CA as well.

Natural Mosquito Repellent Ingredients

If you are making large amounts of mosquito repellent, a good rule of thumb is to mix the repellent so it's 5-10% essential oil, so mix 1 part essential oil with 10-20 parts carrier oil or alcohol. For a smaller batch use:

• 10-25 drops (total) of essential oils
  • 2 tablespoons of a carrier oil or alcohol

The essential oils that work well against mosquitoes are:

• cinnamon oil
  • lemon eucalyptus oil
  • citronella oil
  • castor oil
  • Like 1

Candy I've always used Oregon Trails Bug Off essential oil blend in lotion bars.  I personally don't like sprays and found making my own sprays never lasted long enough on my skin like the lotion bar. 

• Like 1

I use a carrier of fractionated coconut oil because it's not greasy at all and then I add a couple drops each

Lavender

Lemongrass

peppermint

Citronella

Patchouli

Geranium

When all those nasty little gnats are flyin around I rub some on my hands and lift them in the air and you can see them all flying away from me

Works for Mosquitos to but like Chris said OT bugg off is amazing....I made incense with this and stick them in the ground around a campfire and they don't come near anyone- I still have to try it in candles- I have the galvanized buckets I want to use

Oh you guys are angels! All these ideas sounds great. I like the solid lotion idea too. I think I want to try a 'spritzer' type first. Some nice conditioning carrier oil would be nice for my skin too.

I have most of the EOs except citronella. So I will give it a try when I get the chance.

ChrisR- you gave me a great idea for making some bug repellent lotion bars. I already make lotion bars. I just need to put together a good bug repellent EO recipe and I bet they would sell like crazy during the summer months when all those bugs are biting!

Thank you all so much!! Lots of good stuff here to try!!! :)

I know I sell them like crazy expecially to family's with young kids.  My phone usually starts ringing in April, getting ready for the  buggy season!  With the cost of EO's, just don't underprice yourself!!  I get $8.00 for mine and no one ever questions the price.

• Like 1

I know I sell them like crazy expecially to family's with young kids.  My phone usually starts ringing in April, getting ready for the  buggy season!  With the cost of EO's, just don't underprice yourself!!  I get $8.00 for mine and no one ever questions the price.

Great advice! I should actually start working on this ASAP and put it in a top priority. One of the markets I do has a lot of tourists because its on a golf and wilderness resort. I think I can sell a ton of repellent to those folks and their kids!!

Moonshine send me a PM.  I just got out of the hospital from my bronchitis turning deadly, so I probably won't be up to making anything for at least another week.  I'd be glad to make you some though as soon as I get back on my feet.

Am I mistaken...I thought you were not able to sell bug off of any sort because it is considered a pharmaceutical. I remember wanting to sell this myself a couple years ago & was told I cannot?

Guest OldGlory

I can't wait to try the Oregon Trails EO. I ordered a lb of it and plan to put it in soap, a spray, and maybe more. I loathe commercial bug sprays.

The website suggests an ounce of the EO blend to 2 lbs of the base. Is that the ratio you all use?

Guest OldGlory

I am afraid to ask what a football chain gang is...

Just rec'd my OT Bug Spray and wow this stuff is strong. Smells a lot like citronella! I can't wait to put it to the test next week.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

I saw a mosquito (may have been more than one which I did not see) hitch a ride into my house on my dog's fur just a bit ago (around 11 am) and grabbed the Oregon Trails EO blend spray that I made. I doused myself pretty heavily - even sprayed my arms twice. That mosquito found me and made a meal of my left arm before I realized it was there and smashed it. So it seems this product does not work for everybody.

I've been using lemon eucalyptus eo's in my lotion to ward off mosquitoes, gnats, etc. It works good for me during softball season when a lot of games are in the evening. No bites! I don't find the smell too bad either.

Guest OldGlory

I wonder if it's just me (always the one in the crowd to be bitten by mosquitos) or if there's something about the lotion/lotion bar that creates an additional barrier?