Aztec Order

blt212

So I ordered from Aztec for the first time and finding the scents to be just so-so.  Anyone use their FO's in straight up soy and have good results?  The Tobacco is throwing pretty good but also testing these all of which are pretty light.

Barn Wood

Cozy Cabin

Coconut

Kentucky Bourbon

Thanks

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I buy most of my FOs from Aztec.The only one on your list that I bought with regularity for a client is Cozy Cabin and it is strong in soy wax. I dropped that client last fall, but she bought Cozy Cabin soy candles from me for 3 or 4 years and sold the heck out of it. Sorry I can't help with the others.

Which soy wax have you tested them in? I use 464.

Edited by OldGlory

Must be a difference in our soy waxes because so far I'm not at all impressed.  I really wanted that Tobacco to work too.  Finding a good tobacco has been a challenge.  I can try increasing the percentage but I don't want seepage and truthfully most FO's I use throw good at the same %.  Candybee Cozy Cabin has alot of Cedar....I can't even describe Barn Wood...maybe some moss and Kentucky Bourbon is more sweet than Bourbon.  

Edited by blt212

Guest OldGlory

Are you giving your candles 2 weeks to cure before test burning for fragrance throw? The Tobacco at Aztec is the best one I've found and is also very strong in 464. Which soy wax are you using?

No I don't cure two weeks, a few days to a week a most.  If a scent doesn't throw good in that amount of time, I don't bother.  My business doesn't allow me that kind of cure time.....I get good results with most CS fragrances using this timeframe.  I'm going to keep testing and wick up.  I'm testing in JJ's using C3, started with an ECO4 and moving up to a 6.

Guest OldGlory

I always wait the 2 weeks to test because the way the candle burns also changes during that time. I use Premier wicks. Looks like the differences in supplies and cure time changes results pretty significantly.

It seems so, what percentage of FO do you use in 464?  I know it can hold alot more than C3....which is only 6%.  With the cost of FO's I'm ok with that as long as I can get a good throw.

Guest OldGlory

I use 6% in my soy candles.

With Aztec's Fresh Linen and a few others I drop it to about 5% because they're really strong. Cool Water is another that I drop to 5%.

Guest OldGlory

So many variables!

Also, each person's sense of smell is different.

That's why so much testing is needed.

I use C3 and usually wait a week at most.  Haven't used many from Aztec but I do find with C3 the cotton wicks or the htp wicks seem to give me

the best meltpool and throw.  There are so many variables it's crazy, or maybe it's going to drive us crazy??

Drive us crazy is right......seems I test and test before I find a scent I really like and throws good. It's really pretty depressing when I look at all the half used 1 oz samples I have in my candle shop. The good news is Tobacco is throwing better with an ECO6 which is the scent I really want to work.  I do use HTP's for some tins and the cottons for the Libbey 3" tumbler but mostly ECO's and a CD here or there for the mason and jellies. 

Guest OldGlory

I just submitted samples of boxed candles in the Libbey tumbler. Gosh I love this jar - nice and heavy, a good size and a reasonable price. It fits perfectly in the Uline 3x3x4 boxes.

I've tried several Tobacco FOs and I found the one at Aztec to be less sugary and more like actual Tobacco. I don't like the ones with cherry or caramel overtones. And what a great price at Aztec!

• 4 weeks later...

I have to atest to what Old Glory says about Tobacco from Aztec.  I just recently delivered a good size order to a new store in town and I have never did any tobacco fragrance what so ever.  Old Glory said I needed to try Tobacco as it was a terrific seller so I made up 6 jars of the Tobacco scent she sent me along with the rest of my order.  I called yesterday to see how the shop was doing with my candles and thank God she said they were the candles were doing awesome and selling every day....  I couldn't believe it when she told me the Tobacco sold immediately and she has been getting requests for that scent ever since they went in and went and ordered 2 dozen of Tobacco  today along with a dozen Balsam Fir.

Hey Old Glory I need some more #1 seller suggestions from you!!!lol

Trappeur

Guest OldGlory

I don't remember which ones I sent other than Blackberry Sage and Tobacco. Did she say what other types of scents she wants?

Sweet Potato and Brown Sugar is killer in 464.

Volcano, a new one, is very nice - very citrusy.

Mistletoe Kisses is gorgeous. It's very strong in 464 and very complex. There's a bit of pine note in it, and some fruity notes. A former client of mine built their entire business on this scent. (I sold the heck out of room sprays mixing this 50/50 with white tea and ginger.)

Spring Rain explodes out of the candle jar. Unbelievably strong. To me it's a little green and a lot jasmine.

White Tea and Ginger is awesome - very green and floral.

Lovespell is uber strong.

Omg, the Baked Apple Pie is extremely strong and right on the money.

Cozy Cabin is very strong - to me it smells like an old log cabin that has had 50 years of wood burning fires in the fireplace.

Apple Jack is strong.

Fresh Linen is strong. I actually cut back a bit on this FO.

• 1 month later...

I don't remember which ones I sent other than Blackberry Sage and Tobacco. Did she say what other types of scents she wants?

Sweet Potato and Brown Sugar is killer in 464.

Volcano, a new one, is very nice - very citrusy.

Mistletoe Kisses is gorgeous. It's very strong in 464 and very complex. There's a bit of pine note in it, and some fruity notes. A former client of mine built their entire business on this scent. (I sold the heck out of room sprays mixing this 50/50 with white tea and ginger.)

Spring Rain explodes out of the candle jar. Unbelievably strong. To me it's a little green and a lot jasmine.

White Tea and Ginger is awesome - very green and floral.

Lovespell is uber strong.

Omg, the Baked Apple Pie is extremely strong and right on the money.

Cozy Cabin is very strong - to me it smells like an old log cabin that has had 50 years of wood burning fires in the fireplace.

Apple Jack is strong.

Fresh Linen is strong. I actually cut back a bit on this FO.

I'm going to try Aztec's fragrances as I'm not getting the strong throw I want from testing other companies' oils. So with the sample sale, I will try quite a few of your suggestions. Thanks! Have you tried their cinnamon bun? I'm using 415 soy and Premier wicks in pint canning jars.

GoldieMN

Guest OldGlory

Goldie, I tested 415 with Aztec's blackberry sage (which is very strong in 464 with a 790 Premier wick) and I did NOT get a great HT. I like the fact that 415 doesn't frost, but it also doesn't throw for me. If you don't color your wax I would suggest trying 464. I use 6% fo load.

However, some others here on the board get a strong HT using 9% fo load in 415. I think you should consider doing this if you want to stick with 415. I wouldn't mind changing to 415 at some point simply for the fact that it doesn't frost, but I am sure my clients would not be happy with the price increase I would have to apply if I increased my fragrance load by 50%.

Btw, Trappeur also uses 464, and that's why she is having good results with the same fragrances I am. I think she also uses a bit more fo than I do.

Oh, and I have not tried their cinnamon buns yet.

I recently bought some Black Sea and it's really nice, very complex OOB. I put it in melts and they are strong but I haven't put it in candles.

Goldie, I tested 415 with Aztec's blackberry sage (which is very strong in 464 with a 790 Premier wick) and I did NOT get a great HT. I like the fact that 415 doesn't frost, but it also doesn't throw for me. If you don't color your wax I would suggest trying 464. I use 6% fo load.

However, some others here on the board get a strong HT using 9% fo load in 415. I think you should consider doing this if you want to stick with 415. I wouldn't mind changing to 415 at some point simply for the fact that it doesn't frost, but I am sure my clients would not be happy with the price increase I would have to apply if I increased my fragrance load by 50%.

Btw, Trappeur also uses 464, and that's why she is having good results with the same fragrances I am. I think she also uses a bit more fo than I do.

Oh, and I have not tried their cinnamon buns yet.

I recently bought some Black Sea and it's really nice, very complex OOB. I put it in melts and they are strong but I haven't put it in candles.

I don't color my wax. I've done all my testing with 415 which is what I started with and have on hand. Someone mentioned that more oil doesn't necessarily mean better hot throw so I've tried to stay between 6-8%. If I could get a great throw with 9%, I'd be ok since I'm not selling wholesale and can keep prices as they are. :)

Right now, I'm ordering:

Cinnamon Bun-1oz(1)

Tobacco -1oz(1)

Spiced Pear-1oz(1)

Blueberry Cobbler-1oz(1)

Sweet Potato & Brown Sugar -1oz(1)

Mistletoe Kisses-1oz(1)

Cozy Cabin-1oz(1)

Fresh Linen-1oz

I can't stand anything flowery as my asthma acts up so I don't make candles with those fragrances. Other than that, anything else I should try from Aztec?

GoldieMN

I'm testing Tobacco from RE/AH ATM and am a but disappointed. 2week cure and little to no HT. :-(

Maybe I need to try Aztec'

Are you testing "Cuban Tobacco" from RE/AH? They rate that one as "strong" for soy throw. I've noticed a couple of their fragrances that I have had problems getting a good hot throw from, are rated "not tested" for soy. So I thought I just had to avoid buying anything they hadn't tested. Hmmm. . .so I can't help you. What container, wick, soy, & % of oil are you using?

GoldieMN

Guest OldGlory

Goldie - Apple Jack, Blackberry Jam, Blackberry Sage, Volcano are all strong in 464. I don't know what the difference is between 464 and 415, but there's a chance some will work and others won't. I've heard the blueberry cobbler is awesome but I haven't tried it. With their sale you could try 5 new ones each month!  :woowoo: 

Jack - Aztec's Tobacco (not the Tobacco and Cedar [?]) is great in 464. It smells like tobacco, not tobacco and cherry, or tobacco and caramel. Just tobacco hanging in the barn.

I have to atest to what Old Glory says about Tobacco from Aztec.  I just recently delivered a good size order to a new store in town and I have never did any tobacco fragrance what so ever.  Old Glory said I needed to try Tobacco as it was a terrific seller so I made up 6 jars of the Tobacco scent she sent me along with the rest of my order.  I called yesterday to see how the shop was doing with my candles and thank God she said they were the candles were doing awesome and selling every day....  I couldn't believe it when she told me the Tobacco sold immediately and she has been getting requests for that scent ever since they went in and went and ordered 2 dozen of Tobacco  today along with a dozen Balsam Fir.

Hey Old Glory I need some more #1 seller suggestions from you!!!lol

Trappeur

Blend Aztec's Tobacco (.25) with Leather (.75) from Texas Candle Company.....it is awesome! :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 3