frustrated-please help

I have tried every size wick suggested, but once my candle burns half way down, my flame starts to flicker alot , it has done it with every wick Ive tried? is this normal? im using a 8oz, jelly jar with igi6006 wax, can someone please help?

How badly is it flickering? Is it just flickering a tiny bit or is it really dancing around? 

If there is no AC or ceiling fan on and it's just flickering a bit here and there, then that's normal, but if it's really dancing around, then IDK. 

With that wax, in that jar, a 44z or a CD 8 should work. 

• Like 1

I tried the soy route for awhile and could never get a hot throw - no matter how much fragrance and no matter what wick I tried. I finally just gave up on it and began using IGI6006 and love it. When you say jelly jar, are you talking about a "normal" straight side jelly jar or more like an 8oz square mason jar? I have been using these for quite awhile and have had good luck - after a lot of testing. I have tried all kinds of wicks with this jar and finally settled on Eco 2 or Eco 8 (if using a heavier FO). Also, are you using any dye or coloring in your candle? That can also affect the burn.

Its a round 8oz. jelly jar, I had the same problem with soy. that's why I love this wax, I do 10 % fo, and liquid dye. It burns nice to start with premier 765, but half way down down is when the dancing flame comes in.

What wicks have you tried so far?

I would use a 44-32-18 zinc in that, or even a 51-32-18 zinc. I know not a lot of people like the zincs, but I swear by them.

Maybe an HTP 104?

Another zinc user here with the 6006 wax. I swear by them as well - better burn, better scent throw, and I find them to be much less fickle than the CD wicks.  I don't use that jar, but agree with the others - I would think a zinc in the 44z size:  44-28-18 or 44-32-18.  :)

Do you still get a dancing flame when the candle burns down half way with the zinc?

Only when I double wicked with the 51 zinc in the 16 oz. apothecary.  As a point of reference: I use (1) 51 zinc in the 8 0z. tins which are 3" in dia. straight, but only 2-1/2" in height.  I don't use jelly jars, but the height of the jj's are taller than they are wide, which is why I would not recommend the 51z.  Are you using the type of jj that slightly narrows towards the bottom?  I also do not use as much fo as you - I use 6% fo.  I don't make dark colors either - 1/2 dye chip per pound is what I like.

Thank you Sojourner, Im going to have to give the zinc I try, The premier 765 has work the best so far, back im getting a tall flame, and to much dancing. Im so glad for you advice.

Your always welcome, ladybug. :)  Try the 44z's, and maybe 6-7% fo instead of 10% and see how you like it.  I get great results in the 6006 with the zincs & 6% combo.

I honestly think your main problem may be too much FO. Just because a wax can hold 10% doesn't mean it should. I know plenty of people that get a great scent throw with that wax with 6% or less FO and don't have the problems you are having using any of the wicks mentioned. 

Maybe cut back on the FO and try again with either a 44z or a CD8 and see how that goes. That will probably help/cure a lot of your problems with the wicking issue. 

• Like 1

I agree with Jcandleattic, you're probably getting that wild flame because of the FO content. With the zincs I never get a wild flame, if anything I get a mushroom from longer burning times and the flame turns a little somber. As soon as it's trimmed it burns nice and bright again. It's actually a good indicator to customers to keep their wicks trimmed! :)

• Like 1