Ylang Ylang

These are some great ideas! Thanks! Scented-- you reminded me that I also want to try some rosewood. I may have to get some just so I can try mixing it with the ylang. :)

I haven't done much with it yet, but I was mighty pleased when I opened my bottle of rosewood. Great fragrance and nothing like I would have guessed. Maybe a favorite already. Do get it.

• Like 2

I would do a toothepick trial, dip the ends of a toothepick in the E.O. (the way people describe to do it with a qtip) and then a different toothepick in other E.O.'s. One toothepick per part so if you are going to do a 1 part ylan with three parts lavender, do one toothepick ylang and three toothepicks lavender. This website has blend suggestions on it, https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/ylang-ylang-essential-oil/profile

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Certain florals it should. Jasmine, lavender, petitgran ... think exotic or something that is borderline exotic and ylang could possibly help bring that out. It might be beautiful with lily ... since ylang can be overpowering, less is more with it. 

As for citrus, try it with some orange ... blood orange lol! Bergamot. 

Black pepper would work with it too perhaps. 

That sounds like a really nice combo.

I see you tried some basil. (Another EO on my list I of EOs I want to buy!) How do you like the sweet basil?

What I posted there is literally the only thing I've tried so far. It seems good, but it's hard to answer without more familiarity with it.

• 5 months later...

So I finally got around to using my Ylang Ylang. I blended it 50/50 with rosewood in a bastile soap today. Can't wait for this baby to cure. Right now it has a kind of camphory herbacious scent but I can smell the pretty floral in the background. I am hoping that during the cure that herbacious camphory notes mellow and the florals get stronger.

I didn't know what to color this combo so I threw in some blue sky and neon pink micas. The blue sky is a new one I hadn't tried so I wanted to see how it looked. I have no idea how it will look or come out until I unwrap it tomorrow or the next day. Can't wait!!

Candy;

"Ylang Ylang" is a primary mixer for a lot of sophisticated fragrances, I've found.

One of my favorites that I developed is;

50% Ylang Ylang

25% Amber

25% Musk

I named this simple blend "Midnite Musk" and it became a great seller in both candles and soaps. It's very sensual but actually unisex targeted. It's my wife's favorite fragrance and that's pretty impressive since we stocked well over 150 fragrances at one time or another. When the "Shades of Gray" book hit the stands, I renamed it "Christian". It now sells even better. I actually will be making a two dozen four ounce bar batch of Goat's Milk M&P soap today. I color it with a bit of coconut charcoal dissolved in glycerin and alcohol to give it a light gray color. It's pretty strong so I use it at about 3%. I get the oils from Gemlite.

Dave

• Like 1

That sounds like a winning combo Dave! May give it a try sometime if you don't mind.

I cut the soaps this morning and not sure I like the scent combo yet. It still has to cure so the scent may change/mellow over time.

But it got me thinking of mixing the ylang ylang with something more earthy like patch. I would love to mix it with a citrus but the only ones I know that survive well in CP are lemongrass and lime and maybe grapefruit.

I've only used it once so I need to play with it some more to see what I like it blended with... or used alone. :)

Edited by Candybee