Making a stencil

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

I think I want to make a stencil for painting a small shape on glass candle jars. Mind you, I am not locked into a stencil, and there may be a better tool for this project that I am unaware of.

I have a blank stencil (nothing cut out) but I am not great with an exacto knife. The shape I will be using has no straight edges. Short of drawing the shape on the stencil, or putting the shape under the stencil and seeing the form thru the plastic, is there a better way to cut out a stencil?

Is there an easier way to quickly paint a shape on a glass jar that is round (not a flat surface)? I am not interested in appying a sticker to the jar

There are electric stencil burners that are extremely easy to use - much better than an exacto knife.  You hold just like a pencil and you can get a very precise cut.  I had one given to me a few years ago.  I do not know the cost of one, but I can't imagine them being too expensive. 

I've also used glass etching cream - so this another use for your stencil to decorate glass.

HTH.

Guest OldGlory

Thanks to each of you. Etching might be nice too.

Sojourner, I will see if I can find the electric stencil burner. Might be nice to have on hand.

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread.  Did you ever come up with a stencil?  I would cut my "stencil" from vinyl or self-sticking shelf liner so it adheres to the jar easily.  If you want, I can cut some for you on my vinyl cutter for you to test to see if that would work.

I've also used a cheap wood burner to cut a stencil.

GoldieMN

Guest OldGlory

Thanks for the suggestion and offer Goldie. I did not come up with a solution within the time frame to submit my samples, so for now it's a no go. I studied the types of stencil cutters on the market and could not get happy with the options. Several reviews suggested that the cheaper models didn't work very well.

I am going to revisit this next January when I have time to play with it.