Let's Talk about Shea, Baby

SuzyK

My body butter is mostly shea butter.  I LOVE it.  I don't mind the graininess too much and I haven't had anyone really complain about it. I had one customer who messaged me to ask me about it. I told her that it was  the finicky Shea butter that caused it and that it rubs right into the skin.

I'm wondering though if I should try something else and just redo my whole body butter recipe.  I'm dreading the though as it would mean a lot of work on my part to re design all my labels and test a whole new recipe again.

My last batch I had read to let it stay heated for 20 minutes but I can see that it will be grainy. Do you guys embrace the graininess or do you just not use Shea at all??  I really tried to stay away from Shea when making things but I read so many good things about it so I used it in my body butter. 

This picture is it's prettiness before it goes grainy. :)

post-8531-0-45377900-1426888955_thumb.jp

I really love Shea butter. I use Mango and Cocoa butter as well, but Shea...I put that stuff in everything. The graininess doesn't bother me. Suzy, I have tried your body butter and you need not change a single thing. It is AMAZING!

• Like 1

I haven't tried ButterEZ. Maybe I will look into it.

The funny thing is that right after I posted this I got a raving review on Etsy about how my body butter is the best they've ever used so I'm definitely not changing it. I have received many great reviews on it.  I'm glad to hear that you like it too. :)   I like it a lot too, I just worry about the graininess sometimes. 

Suzy, as long as the graininess or grittiness rubs in smooth and doesn't stay gritty on the skin, I wouldn't worry about it at all. 

I'm a very picky lotion type person. It's one of the few sensory things that will drive me batty if the consistency is not right, but I've had gritty body butter with shea, and once it's rubbed in, the grit was gone, and I loved it, had no problem with it. 

I think you are fine. 

I have heard of the ButterEZ and people who use it tend to love it as well, so you could try that, but if you are getting good reviews on it, then stick with it. Maybe just test a small portion of the EZ to see if it's something you want to do. 

It's good to hear that the graininess doesn't bother you.  It does rub right in and I love the stuff.  :)

I'll maybe experiment, like you said, with the ez to see. I don't want to change my recipe too much since it took a bit to get it the way I want.  Minus the graininess of course.

• 2 weeks later...