Adding water to M&P

Jcandleattic

So, my homemade M&P sometimes gets really 'frothy' when melting it. I know when that would happen with my commercial brands, I would just add a little water before melting - worked out fine. (Especially since it's old and dried out - it helped) 

Well... I have found out I can't do that with my homemade version. LOL 

I don't have the problem with sweating that a lot of people have with their homemade M&P, but once I added the water, man it wouldn't stop weeping and I couldn't get it to pour right. :( 

I guess bottom line is - if you make homemade M&P and want to get it to froth less, I don't know how to help you. adding water is NOT the answer. HAHA

Anyway, here is a pic of some embeds I just made. 

The pink ones are fine. The teal ones, although a gorgeous color (in person, bad pic) are iffy at best for using. If I can get them to stop weeping, I might be able to use them, but that might take a while. LOL 

post-200-0-14133300-1426878096_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You can't tell from the pic that anything is wrong. They look great!

When you say stop frothing are you talking about those bubbles and suds you get when remelting it? Maybe try an alcohol spritz?

Yes, but the alcohol doesn't really work. it's weird - because it's homemade, it's half opaque and have translucent, and it's the opaque part that froths.

I like how m&p ball embeds looks shiny. .

I wish I could get my cp to look like that. .

I know right? I've tried steaming them, spritzing them, everything and I can't get them to really shine very well either (my CP embeds that is) 

Candy, those are M&P in the pic, which is why they are shiny. I can't get my CP embeds to shine like that, no matter what I do. 

Edited: 

I hate when I get my threads/posts confused. I was thinking of a different topic, different pic. Sorry....  

These in this pic are my homemade M&P and the teal ones are really shiny - I think because of the addition of the water, but the pink ones are a little bit, but not as shiny as true M&P. 

Edited by Jcandleattic

JCA, when I've used MP bases that seem a bit dried out I have added a teeny bit of glycerin.  It is a touchy process, though, it definitely makes the soap slimier so you have to use a pretty light hand.  Interesting that you just add plain water, I think I will check that out.

• Like 1

JCA, when I've used MP bases that seem a bit dried out I have added a teeny bit of glycerin.  It is a touchy process, though, it definitely makes the soap slimier so you have to use a pretty light hand.  Interesting that you just add plain water, I think I will check that out.

Thanks for the tip, however, that wouldn't work with my homemade base, as it is made with 100% ppo glycerin, and adding more would make it not hold together. 

It could work with my commercial bases, though, so I may try it with that. 

• Like 1

How is that homemade base working out?  You said it was surprisingly easy to make, right?  I have enough to be getting on with w/r/t to learning cp, but am very curious.

I like it, and it feels amazing on the skin, but as I said, it froths up pretty badly, which is why I added the water in the first place, but that didn't' help or work the way I thought it would. LOL I don't mind the froth, but if there is a way to eliminate it, that would be great. Alcohol spritz's that work with regular M&P bases don't do a thing for this. So for now I'll live with it. 

And yes, it's very easy to make. Just HP then at the end of the cook, add the glycerin, blend and mold. I've only made the one batch, and it was only translucent in the center, which I have heard is due to overcooking the HP, so next time I won't cook it quite so long before adding the glycerin and hopefully will have a translucent base (not clear, but not white either) because I am using oils that will supposedly make a clear base. 

Zero detergents, zero alcohol or stearic (other than what is naturally in the oils) 

• Like 1

Is it less expensive to make your own

do you like the feel of your own better. .

I'm still working out the costs, but I believe it might be just a tad more expensive per pound - like pennies maybe (not including shipping which for me I don't have to factor in because I'm local to Peak).

I use my typical soap recipe, then add the glycerin - it's the glycerin that jumps the price up. 

But YES I like the feel of my own MUCH MUCH better.

I can't use commercial M&P straight up as a bar of soap - even the SFIC and "known to be better" brands. They are just way too drying to my skin. I can use it as embeds because the CP combats the dryness of the M&P. 

With my homemade, I've made and used it as regular bars and have had no problems with it at all.

I think it's the alcohol/solvents in regular M&P that dries my skin so much. I don't know. 

I do notice that because of the high % of glycerin, it does dissolve fast than a typical bar of M&P - or it seems that way since I can never get through more than 1-2 uses of regular M&P before having to stop using it. 

I've tried about 10-15 different various bases throughout they years from different places, and some are more drying than others, but all were drying. 

That is what set me on the path to try my own, but I knew I didn't want to add any type of alcohol, solvent, or sugar solution, or anything like that. Finally hit upon someone making it this way, so gave it a try and am so glad I did. It's so much better to me than any I have tried. However, it's not clear or translucent, so coloring it is tricky... 

Amazing there is no alcohol in your recipe, I thought that was a basic w/making homemade mp base.  Good to know, thanks, JCA.

Only if you want it clear. From my research that's really the only benefit I can find in using it, and my recipe is partly clear without it and not drying.

I think I cooked the oils too long is why it turned out white with a translucent center. 

• 1 year later...

Thanks Moonstar. Yes, I did. And at the time I made it, it was summer here and no real moisture in the air, and not humid at all (I'm in CO and we have a pretty dry climate) but after a while this base did develop a problem with sweating, so I wrapped it up tight with some saran wrap, and that stopped it. 

Not sure if I'll make more. But it was definitely a fun experiment, and made for some really nice feeling M&P soap. Probably the best feeling M&P soap I've ever used. 

• Like 1