Anyone blended C3 and Ecosoya PB

Hi kandlekrazy,

I love C3 but yes I require a firmer product and do not want to change wax as I love the C3. I am in Australia where it's very warm and humidity is very high and also I can only seem to find the suppliers stocking UA however after reading many posts on here it's apparent I would require USA if I wanted to use a hardener. Also I'm hoping it will help with wicking - or at least make it alittle easier. I do find c3 harder to wick.

I have made a blend of 90% c3 10% pb yesterday. I'm letting it cure. The tops are perfect and CT amazing - let's hope for a great burn with great HT.

Hello Bell,

What wicks do you use with the C3?

My choice of wicks for that wax have always been the htps.

Just thought I would throw out an option in case the wicks you were using you weren't having as much good luck with them. :) 

Trappeur

Hi Trappeur,

THANKYOU for that. I do like the htp wicks however I seem to favour the cdn with the c3. I dislke the minor flickering here and there that I find with the cdn wicks that I don't get with the htp however I seem to get better burn results with the c3 especially when double wicking.

I've been meaning for ages to get some cdn wicks.  There used to be a wonderful chandler here on this board named Stella who only used the cdn 's with c3 that she used and she swore by them.  There are millions of posts by her here which if you haven't surfed aways back that you could sure learn from.  I know I have.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

I have been playing with EcoSoya PB in C3 as embeds. It does make me need to wick up, but the throw of the combined wax is super. I am right around 10% PB embeds to C3.

Stella turned me on to CDN wicks too. Most of the time they are 100% perfect.

On a couple of big, heavy containers i use square braid cotton primed with high melt point wax. One day i will finish testing square braid in all of my other tins. Sure would make life simpler :D

• Like 2

Hi kandlekrazy,

I love C3 but yes I require a firmer product and do not want to change wax as I love the C3. I am in Australia where it's very warm and humidity is very high and also I can only seem to find the suppliers stocking UA however after reading many posts on here it's apparent I would require USA if I wanted to use a hardener. Also I'm hoping it will help with wicking - or at least make it alittle easier. I do find c3 harder to wick.

I have made a blend of 90% c3 10% pb yesterday. I'm letting it cure. The tops are perfect and CT amazing - let's hope for a great burn with great HT.

Ok, makes sense.  I use USA for both candles & melts to firm them just a bit.  I have had the best luck with either HTP wicks that I twist because that flat wick drives me bonkers when burning or plain old Cotton wicks

I actually prefer the cotton wick.  Both wicks have some issues but where I live these work best, temperature and humidity play a big part in how a candle burns.

• Like 1

I have been playing with EcoSoya PB in C3 as embeds. It does make me need to wick up, but the throw of the combined wax is super. I am right around 10% PB embeds to C3.

On a couple of big, heavy containers i use square braid cotton primed with high melt point wax. One day i will finish testing square braid in all of my other tins. Sure would make life simpler :D

Hi TallTayl

May I ask what FO load your using? I'm currently using 9%. I was eager and test burned some of my PB & C3 blends abit early but found that I much preferred 95% c3 & 5% PB (instead of 10% PB) also I tempered the wax. The candle was firm and didn't pull away from the container at all so was happy :)

Ok, makes sense. I use USA for both candles & melts to firm them just a bit. I have had the best luck with either HTP wicks that I twist because that flat wick drives me bonkers when burning or plain old Cotton wicks

I actually prefer the cotton wick. Both wicks have some issues but where I live these work best, temperature and humidity play a big part in how a candle burns.

Thanks kandlekrazy - may I ask how and why you twist the htp wick? I am interested to try it for myself :).

Hi Tall Tale

When you say you use the pb as embeds....what do you mean?  Your putting embeds on top of your candles after they are finished like the way I do mine?  Was just curious.

Trappeur

Hi TallTayl

May I ask what FO load your using? I'm currently using 9%. I was eager and test burned some of my PB & C3 blends abit early but found that I much preferred 95% c3 & 5% PB (instead of 10% PB) also I tempered the wax. The candle was firm and didn't pull away from the container at all so was happy :)

I use between 3% and 8% depending on what FO i am using. the majority are at 6%. I don't like adding 8% but have a couple that need that little extra.

Hi Tall Tale

When you say you use the pb as embeds....what do you mean?  Your putting embeds on top of your candles after they are finished like the way I do mine?  Was just curious.

Trappeur

I add a layer of colored and scented chunks to the tops just about all of my candles. Some i have silicone molds to fancy them up a little (like pumpkins, citrus slices, flowers, etc depending on the theme).

I started adding colored bits to the beeswax candles so i could tell them apart when making for summer Faire. People loved the color, so i began to add them on the soy tins too. I just love the burst of colors. The displays really stand out with little shots of extra color.

A little worried about color bleed as the soy tins sit out on display in summer, but it's worth the risk (and extra work).

post-7851-0-65114400-1426163449_thumb.jp

post-7851-0-99740400-1426163457_thumb.jp

Wow, they are beautiful Tall Tayle and I could see why people would buy them as I would too.  But you know, even with a slight bleeding on the tops, I think that adds to the candle (uniqueness)and compliments your candles.  I love them and great labels too!  One of these days I'm going to try my hand at chunks in candles.

So even with the Pb (as embeds) you found you had to wick up a bit?  hmmm...that's interesting..I wouldn't have thought with the small amount of embeds it would need a wick adjustment....Just one of those testing things, eh?

Are your tins 8oz or 16oz?  So this is 464...If you don't mind me asking, is your choice of wicks for the tins cd's?  If you do mind, I respect that....no problem.

Thanks for sharing pictures !!...I just love to see everyone's work.

Trappeur

Trappeur

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Trappeur. The style has evolved over the last decade. I finally like how the style of everything i make finally pulled together.

The soy tin in the pic in the prior post is an 8 oz C3 with PB embeds single wicked with a CDN 14. Without the embeds a CDN12 burns well with that particular FO. With the embeds the MP doesn't make it to the edges until past the 1/2 way point, even with burn times of 6-8 hours. I would not have thought the difference would have been that dramatic either! Could also be that my PB is getting dry. Will work in my favor in the summer, but in my igloo right now it's not :D

I also make a 16 oz tin. I double wick with two CD6. Two CD7 were way too hot. The embeds in this tin were over poured a little too much to make my eye happy, but you get the idea.

A side benefit of these tins is i don't worry about tops any more! I pour these tins about 2/3 and let them cool to a thick slurry. Poke relief holes and add the embeds, pushing them in to fill any voids i missed. Over pour the base wax to seal it all together. It ends up taking slightly more time in total because i have to pre-make embeds, but i no longer stand around with a heat gun smoothing tops after filling air voids. Well worth it to me :D

post-7851-0-44293400-1426165995_thumb.jp

Edited by TallTayl
  • Like 1

You must have been reading my mind because I really really enjoy making tins and I was going to order some 16oz tins to start experimenting and of course the wick testing begins (sigh)....lol  Geesh, you even put up what you used for wick sizes! lol...Well that will give me a starting point.  I thought I might have to go with a cd 22 to start off with and then thought about double wicking.

I've always been a c3 gal and as a matter of fact I'm ordering some this week again as it's been a while since I made any in the c3...Just for no reason....lol

So you use the cdn's - I remember Stella swore by them and I never did try any so that is going on my list too.  I read on C Cocoon that that the cd and cdn's are the same wick but just different wax coatings.  They say a cdn12 compared to a cd12 will spread further, therefore meaning you could go down a size....

One more question if you don't mind Tall Tayle and Bell I don't want to sabotage your thread, but one more question...lol...I would like to make my embeds more firmer when I'm selling them as tart melts in different designs like trees, leaves...etc....well I was wondering when you do yours did you mean in your post where you say you use 10% for embeds, did you mean that your embeds are 90% made of the c3 and 10% of the pb to make them more firmer?

Thanks again.

Trappeur

• Like 1

For the embeds i use 100% PB so i don't have to worry about them being to squishy to remove from the molds cleanly.

The embeds are about 10% (roughly) of the whole candle by weight. Sometimes i end up with more, sometimes a little less depending on how they cut and come together, but right about there.

I like the CDN's, but not how difficult they have become to find. I tried them on Stella's recommendation after nearly giving up on soy after not being satisfied with other series wicks. Loving that the CDN work well for other waxes, like palm. I have even tested out square braid and wood, but always seem to fall back into the CDN's.

In that big tin i didn't want to go up wick size and mess with melt pools. In this batch of wax the two CD6 are hot enough to throw really well without a full MP. The flames are a nice height. The container is cool enough to handle and carry around. That is a big plus for me.

I double wick other containers and just love the effect. My customers dig double wicks too.

• 1 month later...

I finally found for me a blend I am thrilled with for one lb I put .12 cb3 and .4 pb and 1.6 fragrance oil with a large woodwick this gets me two 8 oz square mason jars and one tart I now use the same blend for tarts and containers if I pour mason jar too high Iand get a little crater I heat gun top after 24 hours I have tested my candles against many high end candles and after two years of testing am thrilled with this combo tarts last a full three days and candles fill large living area there are no bubbles wax burns so clean and pretty I do not use dye the cb3 ships better is more stable in hot weather finally thrilled