Scent load-how much is too much?

Hi there

I'm testing C3 wax with 8% f/o. I've been told that when testing a single candle for throw 8% is adequate. But for batches the scent needs to be reduced to 6%. Has anyone else heard of this? Is this right?

However you test your candles, single candle at a time, or batches, it needs to be consistent or your test results will be skewed. If you are testing a single candle at 8% you should test your batches at 8%. 

How much is too much per the thread title? Well, that would depend on the wax. Some waxes can hold up to 12% or more before becoming saturated. However, for me personally, and economically, I find in my wax (not C3) 6% is quite sufficient, and if a scent does not perform at that % I dump it. There are too many good fragrances out there to fight a dud. 

• Like 1

I aim for the same STRENGTH of SCENT across my candle scents, so the use level of the FO can vary based on the scent and on the supplier.  It's impossible to be spot on for all, so clearly there's lots of wiggle room but that's my goal.

How much is too much?  It depends on for what you are looking and what happens in your candles and how much you are willing to spend in raw materials for your candles.

As for 6% for batches and 8% for individual candles I have only this to say - hunh?

That would be weird to test at 8% and then use 6% for your candles. It doesn't make sense so wherever you heard it from its not the best advice for candlemaking.

Since I sell candles and want the best scent for them I use 6% as a general rule. There are a few that are the exception. For example I have one I use 4% and one I use 8%. If they don't work at 6% I move on to another fragrance for the most part. Using more fragrance doesn't always mean the candle will smell better. Too much can clog the wick, cause excessive sooting, mushrooms, or you can lose some of the more complex notes.

If you are planning to sell then you have to look at the whole picture which includes the cost of using a higher amount of FO. Especially if its not necessary.