Wet spots on my first candle UGH

So I lhave been making tarts because I don't have the wick and wet spot problems but I decided to make a candle  using 4627 that I had a a very nieglass 8 oz jar with a heavy bottom from dollar store.  the scent was Carabean Teak wood.  I love love that scent.  Used a LX 24 wick.

Everything was going great except I melted the wax, added color and poured in to the glass jar and was so pround of myself.  The candle looked great wet.  Low and behold when I went to smell it I found that I had forgotten to put in the oil.

Melted the wax, and put in the oil and poured again.  The candle looked great till cooled and now I have spots where the wax does not adhere to the glass it looks like.

Is there a way to prevent this?  I warmed the glass jar a little before pouring both times.

I have no idea how you all do it out there.  This is very discouraging........ any advise?

Thanks

Karen

Its the nature of paraffin wax to do that. Most chandlers just embrace the wet spots otherwise they can drive you crazy! You could try heat gunning the sides of the jar but no matter what you do the wet spots tend to reappear.

BTW-- an LX24 for an 8oz jar sounds too big in my experience. Unless the jar has a 3" plus diameter then it may be okay.

• Like 1

I have no idea how you all do it out there.  This is very discouraging........ any advise?

Thanks

Karen

Embrace them and don't worry about them. The only people who care about them are candle makers, and even if you could prevent them in a couple candles, chances are you wouldn't be able to prevent them in all candles, and changes in temp, environment, etc., will most likely make them (re)appear anyway... 

For me in the years I've been doing this I've learned it really is just not worth the stress to even care about them. I hardly notice them now, and none of my customers have ever once even mentioned anything about them. 

• Like 3

You've been given excellent advice! Embace em, don't try to chase em!

I tell people that are really bothered by wet spots to do one of a few things: A. Don't use glass. Tins and Pottery you can not see through. B. Don't make jar candles or C. Use a wax that completely pulls away from the container. IGI 4794 votive blend actually works excellent as a container wax and pulls away completely. No more wet spots :)

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great advise..

The jar has a 3 inch opening so I thought the LX 24 would work but have not tried it  yet.

I'll try the 4694 on my next wax order and see what happens.

Thanks again.....

Guest OldGlory

When you are feeling down about wet spots, go to a store that sells Yankme candles and behold the MESS! LOL The surfaces AND sides are funky. And people don't care.

So I lhave been making tarts because I don't have the wick and wet spot problems but I decided to make a candle  using 4627 that I had a a very nieglass 8 oz jar with a heavy bottom from dollar store.  the scent was Carabean Teak wood.  I love love that scent.  Used a LX 24 wick.

Everything was going great except I melted the wax, added color and poured in to the glass jar and was so pround of myself.  The candle looked great wet.  Low and behold when I went to smell it I found that I had forgotten to put in the oil.

Melted the wax, and put in the oil and poured again.  The candle looked great till cooled and now I have spots where the wax does not adhere to the glass it looks like.

Is there a way to prevent this?  I warmed the glass jar a little before pouring both times.

Thanks

Karen

Good Morning Karin! :)

Seriously....no one cares about the wet spots....ignore them, they mean nothing to the public and they should mean nothing to you either. :)  Your customers just want a fragrant and well made candle. In all of the 15 years of being in business, I have always had wet spots with my candles because they are paraffin....no one has ever said one word about the wet spots but they always have and do KEEP saying...they smell better than Yankee candles, than Virginia candles...that they are the best smelling, best burning candles they have ever had. :) 

OK Wet spots will be ignored from now on.  

Thanks for the pep talk

I will try another glass candle but am thinking more  about the pottery as mentioned above for a candle.

That sounds like it would be a very interest candle look.

Frosted glass and colored glass are another option. I am beginning to catch on to the colored glass look. At first I didn't like it but now I do. Besides, if you use colored glass you don't have to color the wax and that can save a little bit of time and money.

• Like 1