Himalayan Pink Salt

7 Pawz

Yes, it can. I've used it in my peppermint salt bars for winter. (in the mold you gave me! :)

I bet they turned out great :), going to try out little individual silcone soap bar molds I found at walmart, they may be the perfect size I hope.

I have a recipe for salt bars with it in it. Is it the fine grain (like table salt) or course? The fine grain will make a nice smooth bar that doesn't scratch.

You know, this looks kind of coarse, the grains arent fine, they look chunky.

You can still soap with it but the coarser the grains the more you will feel it in the finished soap.

I will try it and see what happens, but thinking about it, I wish the salt had been of a finer grain, but since it was given to me, I won't feel too bad if it doesn't work out :)

That sounds like a good idea. If you have the type of blender that works. A coffee grinder would be perfect.

I have a blender that crushes ice so that would work too. I used it for grinding a lot, especially herbs, oatmeal, nuts, etc. for soaping and cooking.

You could probably grind it to get it finer - however, I'm not sure how well that would work, as I've never done it before. 

That sounds like a good idea. If you have the type of blender that works. A coffee grinder would be perfect.

I have a blender that crushes ice so that would work too. I used it for grinding a lot, especially herbs, oatmeal, nuts, etc. for soaping and cooking.

I do have a blender that just sits there, maybe I could put it to use.   Just added an old handmixer to the soap area, going to experiment with that to:)

I still have trouble with multi-quotes, so no worries. 

Try it out first, you may like it with the courser salts. And when blending/grinding only do enough for the batch you will be using it in, that way if you don't like the finer salts, you haven't "ruined" your entire batch of salts. :) 

I still have trouble with multi-quotes, so no worries. 

Try it out first, you may like it with the courser salts. And when blending/grinding only do enough for the batch you will be using it in, that way if you don't like the finer salts, you haven't "ruined" your entire batch of salts. :)

Hope to do so in a couple of days.  I just found  some fine grind pink himalayan salt at NG, so if this works out, I'll probably get more  :)

Let us know how you like it. I haven't actually used it yet. I have been using atlantic sea salt which is quite common to purchase, and super cheap.

I have a line of salt bars and am going to have one with pink himalayan, one with european spa sea salt, and one with the atlantic sea salt with some dead sea mud mixed in. Can't wait. But I have a ton of soaps to make before I can get to my salt bars. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

You can also use a mortar and pestle (spelling?), which you would find in a store that sells fancy cooking gadgets. It's really just a small marble bowl and a marble hand held instrument that you use to grind a spice. That way you control how small the grains become through the grinding process.

I've ground salts that were too big, and they seem to be fine in soap.  I do try to do it super slowly so that I can control the size of the grains a little better, and mix them up halfway through.  W/my food processers the stuff at the bottom gets much more finely ground that the stuff at the top.y

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions :)

Candybee, you'll probably get to those bars before I do, post some pics :)

The Jar that I was given can be found at walmart, but if I were making bigger batches, I'd have to find a cheaper source :)