Starting Cut and Curl need help where to buy supplys??PLEASE

First thank you for your help.. I am new to cut and curl candle making. I am trying to set up. I was hoping to get some advice on

1.What type of wax?

2.What type of Dye?

3.Where to purchase supplies?

4.Suggestions to use use for dipping Vat? I cant afford a commercial one.

5. Honestly any advise is helpful. Thank you so much..

Welcome to Craft Server! Glad to see someone here is taking up cut 'n curl candlemaking. We used to have a resident cut 'n curl chandler but unfortunately they have moved on.

I know that Candles and Supplies carries cut 'n curl candlemaking supplies. They also have classes for that:

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/CLASS-CURL

They are in Quakertown, PA so that may not be doable for you. But you can call them and peruse their website for ideas and supplies.

BTW-- I have personally taken candle making classes from them in the past when I first started out making candles. It was incredible to have such a great instructor and hands on training. Its a real boost in learning as it can be difficult to understand written instructions but it all makes sense when you can watch it.

Good luck and when you do start making some candles post some pics so we can see your progress!

• Like 2

First thank you for your help.. I am new to cut and curl candle making. I am trying to set up. I was hoping to get some advice on

1.What type of wax?

2.What type of Dye?

3.Where to purchase supplies?

4.Suggestions to use use for dipping Vat? I cant afford a commercial one.

5. Honestly any advise is helpful. Thank you so much..

1 - straight paraffin with additives- microcyrstalline to help the layers adhere to each other so they don't crack or separate. 

2 - any candle dye but the best would be pigment colors - it doesn't burn well, as it will clog the wick, but most cut 'n curl are made for "forever" type candles anyway. 

3 - Any candle supplier will have the supplies, but as others have said Candles and supplies is a good place, as they have specialized equipment for the carving, including dipping vats. They also carry videos from a place called "Candle Fun" and those more than anything else helped me learn to carve. 

4 - See 3

5 - Carving is fun, but it does take a long time to become a master at it. Most carvers will tell you that it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to get good enough to do any type of production carving, and being a part time carver myself, I can believe that. I now only do my lighthouse carvings because the unity type just do not sell well these days. 

Here are just a few that I've done. I love it, and it's fun. I need to get my vats going again... 

post-200-0-18558900-1424998396_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-22975500-1424998398_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-56640500-1424998400_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-92698400-1424998402_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-74944400-1424998404_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-58273100-1424998406_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-24774900-1424998408_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-99789900-1424998409_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-09670100-1424998411_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to a crooked landlord I had to close my store I cant afford to reopen it and with my heart. I need to find something that makes me happy and clam.. I love making candles. I cant wait to really get started again. I have made soy candles. but they are nothing like the cut and curl. Thank you sooooo much.. I really appreciate everything and anything you all have to say..