Surface cracks

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

I've had it with the cold weather. Seriously.

My corner cutting, time saving method of making tins for my clients is backfiring because of the cold. I pour all but about 1/2 oz at whatever temperature my wax reaches, then pour a thin layer for a smooth top. It has worked for many, many years. But now, the tops are all cracking due to the cold.

I have so many bad words this morning I half expect someone to walk thru my front door and wash my mouth out with soap! :mad:  :lipsrsealed2:

Guest OldGlory

I just packed up 8 of them. They are going the way they are.

And I melted down another 14 which I have tried to fix twice and it just isn't working. You can't heat gun soy because you get ugly tops.

I can't plug in another heater - every time I do I trip a breaker.

I'll just repour these, leave them in the kitchen where it's 68 degrees, and finish the order another time when it's warmer.

i appreciate the suggestions! I learn something new all the time.

Guest OldGlory

TallTayl, it's only the overpour that cracks. I will have to keep the tins warmer and pour less the first time, more the second time. Thankfully, I am done with the tins for now and only have jars to finish the order. In 14 years of candlemaking, this is the first time I've seen the surface cracks.

I learned something about soy wax this week. It really requires a room temp. over 70 degrees.

Guest OldGlory

I don't know Scented, I haven't tried it. I would have to run it by my clients first - the labels say 100% soy wax. I have some beeswax pellets that I wouldn't mind adding.

Guest OldGlory

Scented, that is food for thought. It would make sense that the wax would be less brittle with a bit of veg. shortening/oil.

Tall, I think that's what happened. The wax already in the tin was too cold. The cracks go all the way across, like 3 or 4 large cracks.

All these years of candlemaking and nothing like this has happened. Guess that sums up how cold it's been in TN this year.

I've had it with the cold weather. Seriously.

My corner cutting, time saving method of making tins for my clients is backfiring because of the cold. I pour all but about 1/2 oz at whatever temperature my wax reaches, then pour a thin layer for a smooth top. It has worked for many, many years. But now, the tops are all cracking due to the cold.

I have so many bad words this morning I half expect someone to walk thru my front door and wash my mouth out with soap! :mad:  :lipsrsealed2:

I can hear ya now friend! :laugh2: Hopefully these warmer temps coming in for this weekend and next week will help! Stay warm! :)

That is exactly what happens to me with votives when I do the overpour- PB/415 If I don't hit it when its warm- and I get distracted and forget a lot when I mke them

The last time I did that And forgot about them I did what Talltayl suggested with a heat gun to warm them up and they didn't crack so maybe it's an idea that would work

Guest OldGlory

My tops always end up yucky if I use a heat gun. I wish I could find a way to cut this corner again, but so far the over pour is the only way I get smooth tops. Maybe I'm too picky..?

Guest OldGlory

Yes when I heat gun them. And when I can't pour at exactly the right temp. So, because I make so many (usually 100 or more at a time of 2 sizes) I cut a corner by pouring at whatever temp the wax is when I am ready to pour, then doing a thin top layer at the right temp to get a glassy smooth top. It's that top layer than started cracking last week because it was so cold in my house. I probably didn't explain that very well earlier.

Don't give up on the heat gun idea. I found I got much smoother tops holding the gun at an angle and farther away from the top. I also hold the gun in a circular motion. The idea is to gently and slowly melt the tops just enough. Believe me it took me a while before I could master smoothing my tops with a heat gun. But it works like a champ!

Hey Scented!

years ago when I was using the EcoSoya's I had this same thing happen. The candle would literally crack in the container. Dan from NGI told me to just drape some newspaper over the tops as they were cooling to slow down the process a little. It was cooling on the sides faster than in the center thus when it caught up, CRACK! Worked like a charm and didn't really disrupt my process any. May be worth a try!