Glass Containers ever break on you?

I was wondering if any of you have ever had a glass container break on you with any candles you ever made?  I'm asking because, even though I absolutely love the tins, I also love the cube jars I got from dollar tree - they look exacltly like the ones suppliers sell.  I've gotten a few and made candles in them, and well, they look so pretty with color.  I've been hesitant to give them to others though, so just been for my own personal use, but would love to make more of these and give to family and friends.

Went I first started this, a friend of mine warned me to be careful because she'd gone to a wedding where homemade candles were given out as favors.  They were made in jelly jars. I have no idea, and neither does she, what kind of wax or wick were used, but the thing broke after being about halfway burned and hot wax  ruined her cherry table she had it on. This is a great fear of mine. 

Being a newbie, I am assuming the wrong wick was used and burned too hot?

More than likely that is what happened......that's why testing endlessly is so important and power burning every combination you have to the end to make certain it does not get to hot- also the glass could of had a crack already and went un-noticed or maybe in travel to the party it cracked- there is risk to glass

I myself have never bought glass from dollar stores to sell- I use suppliers with the exception of the colored Mason jars I get those at my local ace store and I have made small jellies from Walmart as well

I reuse my testers over and over and have had only 2 crack on me so far but as far as selling I never sell a used jar - I have not had anyone come back and say their candle broke but the risk is definitely there....especially when it leaves your hands you don't know how the customer treats candles or if they drop it and burn it anyways

That is why I have a good insurance policy and I have considered going back to tins but for me with soy I don't know what it is but they ALL rust on me after sitting for awhile.... Have no idea why I buy them from CS and there is no evidence of FO seepage but they all turn the top of the candle orange and the tin rim rusts

A good deal of glass now comes from China. Make sure the glass your're buying is top grade and not seconds or cheap glass. I bought some heavy juice glasses from Dollar Tree and they all broke when exposed to heat from an open flame. You can usually count on Anchor Hocking, Libbey and a few others to be reliable, well made containers. HTH

Steve

Yes I have had a glass break a few times but I have determined that the glass itself was a fault. Some times you will get a defective jar even with the best quality of jars. That is life.  I have canned for years and I reuse jar over and over with no breakage but then I will buy new jars and low and behold one jar in every 15 to 20 case will have a defective jar and will break the first time it is used.  The rest will go on to be long lived jar with many uses.

Now here the other side of this coin if you wick to hot for a jar it has a better chance of breaking. That is why test, test, test is so important. That way if one does break on you, you know it is because of the jar not the candle inside.

Steve - you made a good point - so I looked at the label on the bottom of one of my cubed jars:

Libbey  Made in USA

5475 MEDIUM

LIBBEY GLASS INC., TOLEDO, OH 43611

WWW.RETAILLIBBEY.COM

this jar is very thick glass, which is why I wanted to try it with candles.   I still will only use them for my own use, though. 

I have looked at glass containers at C&S, and other then the mason jars, tureens, and some of the jelly jars, they all are thinner than this cube. 

Edited by Sojourner

• 3 weeks later...

An LLC will not save you from a lawsuit.  They can still sue your company right into going bankrupt. You need product liability insurance to cover yourself, especially making candles or any B & B products that could potentially harm someone. 

• Like 2

if I remember right the LLC will prevent someone that is suing you from coming after your personal property & personal money.

As ChrisR said, having an LLC will not prevent someone for suing,it is not a replacement for product liability insurance, and unless you obey the "rules" of an LLC it won't protect your personal property or money either. You have to keep everything separate from your LLC and personal, including bank accounts, work area (if you work out of your home, if you are an LLC you have to have a dedicated space you work from, not your kitchen) and bookkeeping - for instance, if you use personal money to buy supplies, you have to pay your LLC then use it out of that bank account, otherwise, in case of a lawsuit, it's all susceptible to being part of the lawsuit.  

• Like 1

An LLC will not save you from a lawsuit.  They can still sue your company right into going bankrupt. You need product liability insurance to cover yourself, especially making candles or any B & B products that could potentially harm someone. 

This is true - an LLC will NOT save you from a lawsuit, and just like any business, you do need liability insurance.  General liability insurance will protect you & your business from faulty products and/or, bodily injury claims, personal injury claims, and property damage.  Like any insurance, its purpose is for financial protection.

As ChrisR said, having an LLC will not prevent someone for suing,it is not a replacement for product liability insurance, and unless you obey the "rules" of an LLC it won't protect your personal property or money either. You have to keep everything separate from your LLC and personal, including bank accounts, work area (if you work out of your home, if you are an LLC you have to have a dedicated space you work from, not your kitchen) and bookkeeping - for instance, if you use personal money to buy supplies, you have to pay your LLC then use it out of that bank account, otherwise, in case of a lawsuit, it's all susceptible to being part of the lawsuit.  

Also true - you must not co-mingle funds.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the breaking glass question, I bought a case of what I thought was a cool jar to test with and we thought we'd try to make lids for them as they would have to be made, but every one shattered around the rim, some just from measuring. I guess we weren't meant to try those jars, both unfortunately and fortunately.