CANDLES & SUPPLIES

So........as I posted the other day, actually yesterday I think, I am wanting to try a new wax.  I've alreay tried the soy 464, which I got in a starter kit from Candle Science, and the 'hassle free' hybrid made by - WHO THE HECK KNOWS...from Candles & Supplies.  I wanted, at that time, to try the 6006, but she steared me away from it and talked me into the hassle free, which I also was not happy with .  Today I call, thinking I am just going to ask for 1 lb. samples of the 6006  & the 4633, because I cannot make up my mind until I try them.  but they are  out of the 4633 until Friday, and she won't sell me a sample of it when it comes in- why? becasue they never use that wax in there teaching classes because it sinks (???um, so??? maybe I WANT TO FIND OUT FOR MYSELF IF IT SINKS! - WITHOUT INVESTING IN A WHOLE SLAB!!) - but she will sell sample of this OTHER wax called, quite simply: PRODUCTION SINGLE POUR CONTAINER WAX.  Made by: WHO KNOWS??!! % paraffin/soy? WHO KNOWS???!!!

I REALLY HATE NOT KNOWING THE MFG. OF THE STUFF I BUY, & NOT KNOWING WHAT'S IN THE STUFF I BUY!!!! YES,  I AM YELLING BECAUSE I AM FRUSTRATED!

again, I am wondering what % paraffin & soy, again, 'the mfg. doesn't tell us that, but its a great wax with great hot throw'. 

which is exaclty what she said about the hassle-free. 

So now I am wondering if she just recommends these waxes to me to get them sold - I don't know, as she said they don't make much on selling the waxes, because I mentioned that the 4633 must be popular since I have noticed they always seem to run out of stock. She said once the waxes come in they sell as fast &  much as possible in pallets becasue no money in the waxes. They want to unload it asap.

I am really just letting off steam here, because I really don't know whether to trust this lady or not.  As she keeps trying to stear me away from wjat I originally ask for, so I think I'm just going to call Candle Wic, which is a little further away, but maybe get honest answers about the products I inquire about.

Upsetting to me because its convenient to me, and I've purchased all additional suppplies from there since I finished the starter kit, and would have continued doing business there.  She knows I am new to this whole candle making hobby, because I told her so my first trip there. I've been there 2 times since then buying tins, wicks, and I did buy only 1 fragrance oil from there, as they just didn't smell strong to me.

END OF RANT

That was very unprofessional of her to treat you that way and she should not be answering the phone if she talks to customers in that manner. Candles & Supplies is really a great candle making supplier and has some good products. All I can say is this person does not represent the service I have become accustomed to by C&S and she should be reported to management.

If you prefer to call and ask questions when you order and you get this same person ask to speak to their supervisor or manager and report them.

Re the sample waxes. Usually samples come in 5 or 10 lb slabs or bags depending on the wax. They are not free, you have to buy. And if they are out of stock just wait and purchase what you want when it comes back into stock. I order at their online store.

Lots of people use 6006 and 4633 with success so if you want to try it go for it.

Edited by Candybee

Thank you for your reply, Candlebee - I don't expect free samples - I will be paying for it, never asked for free.  I DO WANT TO & WILL  try both the 6006 & 4633. 

The thing is...............I do believe the lady I spoke with, and the one who waited on me each time I was there is the owner. But there is another woman there also that seems much much nicer. I don't know either of their names.

I just don't get why she is steering me yet again away from what I want to try.  I don't get it at all, other than to think they are having a hard time selling that hassle free and now this  production whatever wax, and I am an easy target, since I am certainly no expert on candle making, but I AM a very accomplished business proffessional and am no fool when it comes to business practices.  It all just smells funny.  I could be very wrong, but......................

And...like I said, I like to know who the mfg. is, and what is in it.  I cannot believe any sensible company would blindly purchase items without knowing exaclty what they are purchasing - the content -  it could be made of mouse turds for all I know ( I know that is not the case, just trying to make a point).  I would think products like this, sold commercially to suppliers/distributors, need to come with some type of material certification and/or test certs. Maybe they DO know the contents, but just don't tell the customers so they don't just blend it themselves.  Again, I don't know.

And, because of the wealth of knowledge from all of you wonderful, accomplished chandlers on this forum, I learn something new everyday & believe me, its very much appreciated!  While I am still quite the 'newbie', I am learning & I love this hobby, albeit a frustrating one!

I would get more opinions from other places.  She also may only know about the products she sells and not about others.  The wax she is pushing probably yields some profit vs. the one you want yielding smaller profit.  If they didnt make money on it, I doubt they would sell it. 

You can still purchase from her if it saves you money, just dont trust anything she says if you already get that feeling.

Long, long ago....when I was first reading about waxes and candles online...I was trying to find "the best" to start my journey with.  Naturally....all the suppliers state "x" about the waxes and all waxes are considered great in their category....so it's forums like this where you can read what real people think of various waxes.

I first was thinking about soy...read a lot about soy....then paraffin....read a lot...then I read more and more about the parasoys and thought that I would start there.  I didn't want to mix my own....because I really didn't know anything at that point.  So I went with some sample slabs and got to work.

6006 was one of those samples.  Joy wax (a ONLY sold through nature's garden) was another.  Side by side I tested...trying to see which was better.  In the end the smell of joy wax (it smells like the fat we put into donut fryers) was coming through the fragrances I was using.....it's a bit odd to have hyacinth and donuts together.  Eewww

The main reason I went with 6006 was because I could buy it from MANY suppliers.  If natures garden decided to change their wax, or worse.....to discontinue it.  I would be stuck starting all over with another wax, another supplier.  I didn't want to go there.  So in the end, 6006 gave me what I wanted and like every other wax.....not all fragrances are going to work....but I am happy with it.

If a supplier treated me (as a new person) like you were treated...I would be looking for a new supplier.  Be helpful and all, but to boldly state that they don't want to keep wax in stock for someone who doesn't buy it by the pallet.....well....to me that translates to "you don't buy enough for me to take you very seriously....I'm not really all that interested in you."  And to steer you away from what you are interested in, that sounds like they are trying to get you to buy something that they make a larger profit from....a very old sales trick.

I looked into that supplier early on in my journey and quickly passed them over because of the out of stocks constantly....I wasn't sure how good they were at tracking inventory and with the one order I made I passed on every fragrance that I tried from them. 

Good Luck....because in the end...it truly is a journey.  :)

Hi Sojourner

I have been to candles and supplies twice.  It's about an hour 1/2 north from me.

I would get the wax YOU want....even if that means going somewhere else.  

When I get off my butt and get motivated and get some time...I will be putting

a mountain of stuff up for sale in the classified section here.  I have a lot of different

container waxes that I don't want ( I've settled on 4627 for my containers )

I think, but am not sure, that I have half a slab of 6006 downstairs.  If I do, I would be

happy to "give" to you for testing.  I have to drive up to Blue Bell PA in late March for

an appointment with my hand doctor.  Are you near there at all?   I know it's a month out, but

just throwing it out there :)

Chefmom & Chappy:  that was exactly what I was thinking: yeilding more profit from those 'mystery' waxes. But she says she doesn't know the soy/parraffin content of either of these waxes, which I'm pretty sure is untrue, because would any of you who sell candles, or anything for that matter, tell your customers you don't know whats in your product if they asked? It just doesn't make sense.  Again, I'm new to all of this - I  don't know if or how waxes are regulated, whether mfg.'s have to state country of origin, etc. so......................but it seems a rather simple and sensible question to ask what the %'s are.  If I were a candle supply company and wanted to stock this wax, I would most def. be wanting that answer from the mfg.  Does this seem out of line?

And this statement I think sums it up too: 'you don't buy enough for me to take you very seriously....I'm not really all that interested in you."  And to steer you away from what you are interested in, that sounds like they are trying to get you to buy something that they make a larger profit from....a very old sales trick.'

Which is ashame, because I would be a regular customer since they are conveniently located. Granted, I am only doing this as a hobby, so not buying pallets of product, but still.....

Debratant:  thank you for the offer!! But I would give you something for it of course.  I'm thinking you must be very close to me: I work in Red Hill, live in Lansdale - small world!

Thank you Candlebee, Chefmom, Chappy, Debratant, and all others reading this and offering comments. 

As if figuring my way around candlemaking isn't hard enough, lol.................sorry for the rant, all.

C&S has some off label waxes they sell as 'store' brands. Don't know which manufacturer they come from. But like yourself, I want to know who the manufacturer is and what the wax is made from. Sounds like she is pushing their 'store' brand off on you. Maybe she has been told to push it. IDK. She should back off anytime you say no or explain you are not interested.

You can purchase both those waxes from other suppliers if you feel uncomfortable buying them from C&S. I have been to their warehouse and have been dealing with them for years so I am familiar with their customer service and products. They have their pros and cons like every supplier. Like others, I am not crazy about their FOs and their being OOS of product when I need it. That is why I tend to shop for the bulk of my supplies elsewhere.

But when I make the trip to PA I tend to stop by and purchase a few items because I check which ones are in stock before going and I know which FOs, wax, wicks, etc.,  that I like and work for me.

Yes Candlebee - you are right - it is their store brands. I tried researching but they are such generic names, and probably they named it themselves, so it could be carried by others but just called something else? I have no idea. The hassle-free they gave me in just a plain clear blastic bag - no label of any sort, and probably the same as the 'production' wax - its on their website just in plain clear bag.  They package it that way in the back.  Of course they know who the mfg. is, but won't tell you.  I will go and purchase those waxes I want, maybe next week or something - def. not today or end of week, as like I said it is an easy drive & I won't have to pay shipping costs.  She will probably recognize me from being their before maybe, which is ok.  We didn't necessarily have an antagonisitic discussion, and I'm sure she wouldn't know it was me she was speaking with when I go there,  this was all on the phone.  Its just that there was just a bit of 'tude' in her tone, and again the steering away from one thing to this other stuff, like before - but I was actually in the store to purchase last time, and she wasn't exactly all that pleasant then, either.  Very strong personality. Maybe she was insulted that I didn't buy more fragrance oils.  I bought one only - the Very Sexy for Men.  I wanted the coolwaters one too, and she asked me if I why I wasn't purchasing it and I told her because I could hardly smell it in the bottle.  She seemed surprised, like I'm the only one who thought that. give me a break.

You know what - I was fired up after calling, but now I find it somewhat amusing, because she for some reason was adamant that they were out of stock on 4633, and told me firmly she was not going to let me just purchase a sample of it, but I could purchase the sample of the other no-name brand, they don't make much moneyselling wax, and they don't use it in their teaching classes, and wondered why I even wanted to try it because it 'sinks'.  That's when I said it must be popular since its always out of stock, and she got kind of huffy, and well, here it is hours later & I kind of feel foolish for that rant, yet giggling over the pettiness of it all, so please forgive me all. 

I think it's Cindy that owns it right? She is very opinionated for sure and thru the years there have been many people unfortunately that have had run ins with her from time to time. I have had good dealings with here years ago when they supplied my wax but I haven't be there in a very long time. Their oils are very weak and I mean really weak. I won't even waste a second on them as there are better places out there. Your the client....you call and tell them what you want to order. If they give you a hard time tell them again...this is what you want as it's your money....I don't think they will turn you away. If they don't help you, do what the rest of have done and move on to another supplier for the samples. Good Luck!

Oh, i will still get the waxes I want there and buy the tins & wicks, it was just a very bizarre conversation. I'm such a wuss though, lol - but I'm more knowledgeable now thanks to you all, and I will not be swayed into buying something I know I don't want. 

I will try to have the nicer woman who is there take my order, but the 3 times I have been there, only the meaner one seems to do the order taking &  works the register,   Guess nobody else is allowed, idk.

RMullen: I did buy that one fragrance there, it smelled good, not overly strong, but good, and I really REALLY wanted to get it for 'man' candles, because my boyfriend and male family members like scented candles too.  It is the Very Sexy for Men, but I have no idea what the REAL Victoria's Secret Very Sexy smells like, so I have nothing to compare it to. They are curing still, so hoping they throw really great scent. But other I wanted was very weak smell. I got my other scents from Peak and they smell strong in the bottle, and can't wait to get other wax to use them in.

I liked their Very sexy for men. I also liked their Drakkar and Midsummer's Night FOs. They do carry a few really good ones. I have only found them through a lot of trial and error.

They have a couple of FOs that I use for candles. I absolutely love their Bayberry Apple Spice and their Christmas Splendor. I won't go without them during the holiday season. Their vanilla pods is also one of the best vanilla's on the market. I didn't try a whole lot of others but those few kick butt in parasoy, palm, and M&P.

Once I tested their chestnuts and brown sugar and it blew the doors off the scent was so strong in my soy. But I just didn't personally care for it at the time so I never used it.

Just because a FO does not smell strong OOB does not mean it doesn't work in your application. The only way to be sure is to test it. If you are so close to them it makes sense to try out a few and see if you like any.

I don't know how to edit a post on here, but I wanted to give a huge SHOUT OUT to Candybee for all your help regarding fo's - about how just because you can USE more fo, doesn't mean you SHOULD.  Because that was one of the 'selling points' pointed out with the hassle-free as well as mention of that 'production' wax - that it can take up to 1 1/2 oz. of fo, & me thinking that more is better, which is what I did with the hassle free, but not anymore.  I don't want to use more than 1 oz. per lb.

I want to also apologize for a previous post when I misspelled your user name: 'Candlebee;. - SO SORRY!!!

And big huge thanks to all others on this forum too for all the helpful tips and such - VERY much appreciated!! :)

Thanks for the ino AGAIN Candybee !!- I am wanting some additional masculine scents, and more of the herbal & nature types.  I personally don't care for bakery/food scents, but I am finding that those types do really well in all waxes it seems, based on all the comments on here.

I have a lb of their oatmeal milk and honey that I have had for several years.  It's still nice, and the only OMH I have.  I make a 2 lb batch of soap with

it a year.  I also have their cinnamon stick, which is pretty strong too for candles.  The times I was there I was just overwhelmed with smelling the bottles. I only

bought two, and spent the rest of my money on other stuff.  

• Like 1

I bit the bullet & got the 6006 wax at candles & supplies, along with some more wicks.  They still out of stock on the 4633.  There was a new sales clerk there - very nice young lady, but sitll had to speak with the owner because I had just a few questions.

anyway, sorry everyone - I feel like a complete fool because the other day I researched various waxes I had used, or was interested in using, and it turns out they do not disclose the proportions of parrafin/soy in the wax - they don't have to.  Its an actual legal thing - I even looked at MSDS sheets. 

I had no idea, but many of you probably knew that. So sorry for being an idiot. 

Anyway - I am hoping to God i can make great scented candles with this wax, because its becoming a huge expense, which i would not mind if i can make a great, strong scented candle.

Thank you all for your kindness, advice, tips, etc.. Much appreciated!