Craft fairs and container candles....

waxwonders15

Over the past few years, I've been to quite a few different craft shows.  I am curious -- why is it that crafters are prone to selling container candles over non-container candles?  I make palm feather pillar candles, no container, and have not seen any pillar candles of any type at the show.  Because of this, I can't find a reasonable way to figure out pricing on my candles, especially in a more "fair" way, being that I don't use a container.  Can anyone give me advice?  Thanks  :lol:

Guest OldGlory

You could try comparison pricing on Etsy or just goggle the exact same description and see what people are selling it for on their website.

Most people figure pricing by figuring cost of goods (whatever those goods are, so yours most likely is: wax, wick, scent, color, time, overhead) times 4 for retail and times 2 for wholesale. 

For me personally, I rarely ever comparison shop for pricing. Honestly I don't care what others are selling their wares for compared to mine. What I do care about is what my goods cost me to make and I then price accordingly.

Maybe that sounds naive of me, but it's what has worked for the better part of 15 years, so I stick with it. 

• Like 2

I used a spreadsheet to figure the costs of my pillars including all the materials, packaging, shipping costs, etc. With my costs I could then figure my wholesale and resale price ranges. Then I would check out local stores and malls for pillar prices to help me finalize the price I would be happiest with.

The reason I quit taking pillars to shows is because they are not big sellers. I would sell maybe 1 or 2 per show. On top of that the packing, repacking, unpacking, repacking, etc. took a toll on them and I was always replacing packaging. Plus many pillars ended up with chips, scraps, dents, etc over time and ended up having to be marked down to sell. Just not worth it for me.

• 1 month later...

I sell both.  Usually my pretty pillars is what brings people into the booth.  I think it might depend on where you live.  In NC I sold more container candles, in Orlando I sell more pillars.  I think this helps us be different at the craft shows.  Just my thoughts on this.

Cindy

• Like 1