How to make body spray?

craftimade

You could try going through MMS' library or this blog ... http://blog.thesage.com/2009/03/23/room-sprays/

There's also Swift's blog where some help could be: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/

And there's a recipe in here: http://www.craftserver.com/topic/36800-room-spray-with-witch-hazel-and-distilled-water/

Edited by Scented
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is a really good idea to use appropriate preservatives in water based products, like sprays. Bacteria, mold, fungi, etc. grow in a bottle of spray, and later are easy to spread all over a room when spraying it from the bottle.

If wanting to use alcohol as a preservative, it takes over 20% of a high proof alcohol to do the job. You would want to use something like a perfumers alcohol in that case. Alcohols also help to emulsify most fragrances.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

why can't you use just regular alcohol?

The smell of isopropyl alcohol is over powering to the scent and to the lungs when sprayed. Plus, isopropyl comes in different retail concentrations. If using it for a preservative, you will need to do the math to figure out if it is providing enough actual alcohol to do the job.

Guest OldGlory

You can buy polysorbate 20 (or 80 depending on what type of scent you'll be using), distilled water, and a preservative. The results will not be clear in most cases so you'll want an aluminum bottle or one that isn't see thru.

• 10 months later...
Guest OldGlory

I use witch hazel in my tester with an EO blend. Nothing more than witch hazel and EOs. I also use it as my personal lavender linen spray. The trouble with witch hazel is that is has a distinct odor and more scents won't cover it. The distilled water and modifier combos are pretty much (but not completely) odorless.

Witch hazel is an astringent. Not sure how that will feel sprayed on skin and clothes. And as noted above it has a very distinct odor that lingers for a bit. 

with body sprays you really want something that will keep the oil mixed with the water portion (a solubilizer), and a base that will evaporate quickly without leaving residue.

Some people like cyclomethicone for that quick evaporation and silky after feel. 

On August 24, 2015 at 10:13 PM, OldGlory said:

You can buy polysorbate 20 (or 80 depending on what type of scent you'll be using), distilled water, and a preservative. The results will not be clear in most cases so you'll want an aluminum bottle or one that isn't see thru.

A relatively new FO/EO modifier is on the market that has given me hope for clear. I bought from AromaHaven and have been very happy with crystal clear, stable emulsions.