Couple new (to me) techniques

Jcandleattic

Soo, I am going to try a "Butterfly Swirl" made famous by Handmade in Florida - going to use a white base with a purple/fuchsia and teal/green swirl.

Also I'm going to join a challenge for a soap that represents where you are from, so I am going to try to make a soap that has mountains, with a pink/orange cloud sunset to represent Colorado and the Rocky Mountains.

We'll see how those 2 actually turn out in reality how I envision them in my head... LOL It will be interesting for sure.  

Sending good luck and best wishes on the challenge to ya Jcandleattic!!! I think .....I know you can do it!!! :)  It sounds like you will have a most beautiful soap! As far as the butterfly swirl, I love watching her videos....her butterfly swirl is fantabulous! Yes and ditto what 8 Gran Ones said...please post your results! It does sound like fun! I am tempted to get that swirling tool and try it w/hot process soap.:)

I was watching her butterfly swirl today.  Will any old hangar work?  Her soaps are splendid.  Good luck if you do it...and post pics LOL

Thank you - 

To get good swirls the swirl tool (if that happens to be a hanger) has to be pretty thick, meaning the diameter has to be about the thickness of a plastic hanger, not a wire hanger. 

I have a mold that is almost the exact length of a plastic hanger so that is what I'll be using. 

Most people put tubing around their hanger to get the thickness... 

Edited by Jcandleattic

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely post pics - whether they turn out as planned or not. 

The contest ends on the 7th of Feb (we are not sending the soaps, just the pictures and the story behind them) but I really need to get it done soon or I'll miss the deadline. 

The first and second place prize is a really decent one, so I hope to at least place - but I know the competition will be fierce. 

We'll see what happens. I so appreciate all the good luck wishes! :) 

Maybe a wood dowel for the swirl will work. Home Depot and Loew's carry dowels in assorted thicknesses and will cut them for you. Anyway, good luck with your swirl work. Even if it doesn't come out right I always learn a lot by trying. Can't wait to see your new creations!!

Maybe a wood dowel for the swirl will work. Home Depot and Loew's carry dowels in assorted thicknesses and will cut them for you. Anyway, good luck with your swirl work. Even if it doesn't come out right I always learn a lot by trying. Can't wait to see your new creations!!

Thanks Candy. 

I actually have a hanger that is just perfect for my hanger swirls. I do them quite often, I've just never done this "Butterfly" technique that is "all the rage" right now. :) 

I'll definitely post pics once I do it. 

I made up my lye masterbatch yesterday so I'm good to go. :) 

I won't be able to join the challenge to win the prize (just no time with the flood and everything) but I'm still going to do these 2 soaps, I probably just won't get to them until the weekend of the 14/15 and the contest/challenge is over on the 7th...