Weak FOs...

jfear

Hello!

I appreciate in advance your expertice and advice.

I find FOs from SOS to be on the weaker side, even in the "Xtreme" concentration.

I know the best formula is 1oz per lb, and adding more than that can actually weaken scent throw, but does this same rule apply for weak FOs?

Also, do you think a weaker FO should be added at a lower temp? I know it needs to bind but I feel as though 180 is burning off some of the strength, I can't afford to lose anymore!

Some might say, why not use a stronger FO? SOS sadly is the only company I've found who offer really obscure novelties. Until I make my own I need to tweak with theirs.

Any thoughts or experience with weak FOs?

Thanks!

As the others stated, there is no "fixing" a weak FO. Adding more is a waste, and lowering the pour temp will only have an affect on your wax, not the scent throw it burns off. 180 is not very high to begin with, so I don't think lowering that temp will do anything at all. 

A weak FO is just that. Weak. And also as others have stated, SOS is not really known for their "quality" just the type of novelty FO's. 

I know, weak is weak! I'm not looking to fix them per say, just looking for different methods of making them work. I gave up on making candles with some of SOS's FOs due to the weakness or the dreaded fuel smell. I now use some of my favs strictly for tarts/wax melts.

I made some tarts today with 4786; I was previously using a 4627/1343 blend and the FO seemed a lot weaker. They came out great with the new wax, strong enough for a novelty effect.

I wish I could find novelty suppliers with quality FOs but until then I'll work with what I've got!

Thanks for the feedback! :)

A previous poster mentioned DPM as a fixative...it's not a fix but it can help in taming top notes while giving middle and base notes a longer, more perceived aroma strength. Though using too much and you mute the scent entirely. Your welcome to experiment with that. I think Gemlite has it. Also, SOS does carry a few FO fixatives themselves might try those. ISO E Super offers this effect. If all else fails, you can always have a favorite scent duplicated elsewhere and with a stronger presence.