Being asked to display product for sale

moonshine

I have never done anything like this....

I had our continuing education program call me yesterday asking if I would be willing to set up a table of product for display for 3 days next week with order forms.....

She said they work so many hours with the daycare center and enrolling and managing continuing education classes that their staff and teachers do not have much time to Christmas shop so they want to bring local business to them

I love the idea however I have no clue how to begin and what happens if I can't fill the orders by the 15th.....I do not keep a lot of seasonal oils on hand and if I get say 20 pumpkin pie orders I am screwed because I hate pumpkin and have maybe 2 ounces left and about 6 candles in stock

And if I gamble and order a bunch of oils and don't sell any.....I am flustered as to how to go about this- cash and carry is not option as I asked about this but it would be nice to be able to sell only inventory because we sell Chriatmas trees also and my time is very little until December 24th!

I don't want to pass this up but need ideas please....

I sell primarily online so take my comments with that in mind!

I would only take/display what you can or wish to pour. 

I had an event a Sunday ago and my desire was to "take it all". I then realized that the ladies in attendance at the 3 hour open house did not know about nor expect my full offering. So, I checked inventory and took melts based on that. I took an assortment of scents but went a bit heavy on Christmas, spicy, bakery scents as it was a Holiday themed Open House. As it turned out, they overwhelmingly purchased clean, laundry and a Balsam scent.

So, my thought now is that I offer what I wish and what works for me and as long as I have business cards that lead them to where they can find more, I am set.

Sure hope that you do well in this new endeavor!

Thank you justajesuschick-

My mind is whirling about how to go about this

So maybe if I just pick like 5 Christmas scents and 3 or 4 fall ones with a clean one in there also that will be manageable- I hope

I also sell warmers but only have a certain amount and would never get them in by the 15th if everyone wants the same one.....and I have gift packages in organza baskets that make great gifts but again....I only have limited supply

Would it be tacky to make a inventory sheet to set out with the order forms in those products and ask them to cross off an item if they order it so the next people that come thru see that's it's sold out and pick another type?

I really wish I could just be there to keep a handle on this and the sad thing is this year I actually have a great stock done- but based off tree sale people only and I now feel like I have nothing

I am also doing an open house with a friend that sells jewelry on the 8th at a local restaurant and if people really go for the product I am going to be crying trying to make orders....I always thought I wanted to branch out but I am feeling overwhelmed and want just my bubble of Christmas tree people and regulars this season so I don't feel all this pressure! Lol

Guest OldGlory

It sounds like such an awesome opportunity! You would be expanding your customer base and giving these educators a helping hand. But gosh, it is so late in the season to take on a new business venture. Maybe you can explain to the coordinator that because you are already stretched so thinly you can offer only so much,  but that you do want to participate and can be better prepared next year. If she thinks she should ask someone else this year, so be it.

I do not think it would be tacky to have an inventory list there - in fact, do what you need to do to make it easier for yourself.

Thanks Old Glory

I think that is what I am going to do - I will set out 10 scents in jars and melts only and make sure I have those oils on hand

Our offices are 1 minute down the road so I will make a flyer with pictures of warmers and gift baskets and encourage them to stop in if they want any of those items- our hours are extended until 7 every day up Til the 24th

That way I won't stress over inventory lists if people don't pay attention and I have other scents they can chose from as well in store

The orders I do get I will just package like normal on delivery in Kraft bags with tissue paper

I don't advertise and the director never know I was there...we have a huge sign out front with our other business's names on it and on the very bottom I added my candle company name with hand poured soy and she just noticed it the other day and went on my website and called! Lol

• 3 weeks later...