Now I remember why I quit for a couple of yrs :(

Guest OldGlory

The testing can be annoying! My recent testing with wood wicks has been the most ridiculous effort, but I finally have a handle on it. It's worth it! Don't give up.

Guest OldGlory

The first wax I bought was from KY. I used to drive up there and buy a half dozen cases at a time - $33 a case. Times have changed!

You will get it, just keep going.

Oh I so remember buying wax for that price and now triple!! Ouch!! I know I mainly made jj candles and they are easy to rest but I hesitate to make them here in Florida. I just don't think they will be as popular as they were in upstate ny yrs ago. I don't totally feel comfortable with tins. I'm testing the walmart Emma jars and dollar tree status jars and hate both lol!

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Have you gone to some of the bigger swap meets/flea markets/farmers markets/whathaveyou to see what others are selling? Maybe that could help figure out what is popular in FL.

I haven't seen too many candle makers here yet mainly Soapers. But that's fine. I love me some competition lol. Last time I was at the beach market there was just a soap maker. I really need to try and get to more events. I will buy their candles and see how they burn also. I'm truly not happy with my candles. I lament over the past when it was a happy candle maker lol. Actually there Re two huge events this weekend in Daytona and Jacksonville. Now I'm asking myself why I'm not in them lol!!! Family time :)

Have you considered the salsa jar- they are classy, can be contemporary or country and they wick very nice - no necks to deal with or wider bottoms

Florida screams clean glass to me....maybe embeds on top with seashells or starfish.....but I don't know the look your going for

What are you testing with now- wax type and wick

I suspect the materials of a lot of the components have changed.  FOs mostly, since the suppliers are trying to go pthalate-free.  Everything is harder to get just right now and have a good burning candle.  Not to mention prices ballooned, on top of other economic concerns we all have.  I'm trying to use up supplies but I keep getting sucked back to check out all the pretty scents people keep talking about...  :D

Edited by Darbla
  • Like 1

Have you considered the salsa jar- they are classy, can be contemporary or country and they wick very nice - no necks to deal with or wider bottoms

Florida screams clean glass to me....maybe embeds on top with seashells or starfish.....but I don't know the look your going for

What are you testing with now- wax type and wick

YES! Florida does seem to scream clean!! I was always a primitive fanatic and now I go toward shabby chic-beachy!! I will check into the salsa jars!! I Have to order from CS Wish they would get a sale going!! LOL

• Like 1

I suspect the materials of a lot of the components have changed.  FOs mostly, since the suppliers are trying to go pthalate-free.  Everything is harder to get just right now and have a good burning candle.  Not to mention prices ballooned, on top of other economic concerns we all have.  I'm trying to use up supplies but I keep getting sucked back to check out all the pretty scents people keep talking about...  :D

Oh Yes...so much has changed even my location in which to work in. I am so cramped in a small space and want to wholesale by the summer. lol. I Hate to get online and get to the suppliers sales!! :soap baby dance:

Guest OldGlory

My larger wholesale client goes with tins and salsa jars. They used to buy square 8 oz masons and pint masons, but they got away from the country look. I think the salsa are very versatile too, and very reasonably priced.

LOL That's okay...my cell and computer had been acting up. :) I used zinc way back in the day with paraffin. I'm mainly using cd's, ecos and lx's.

I didn't like the mushrooms on the zincs but I do probably wick a little bigger than most. I'm going to order from RE today and try the zincs again. Just to make myself crazier, but I'm also going to order some JJ's just because they are easy!! lol Then again I had them wicked nicely with cd's hmmm