Question I have never been asked regarding candles. Anyone know?

I had a customer contact me today and asked if candles or the fragrances would create any problem with their child's nut allergy. I have been googling and really cannot come up with anything either way. I use soy wax but then I also use paraffin wax and just the standard scents we all buy through our suppliers. Has anyone ever encountered a question like this or looked into it?

Guest OldGlory

I have been reading a lot lately - mostly about claims that paraffin is toxic (which is false) and that soy burns cleaner (also false), at the National Candle Association website and the Environmental Protection Agency. I have not seen anything about nut allergies. People can be allergic to fragrances in candles however, but that would have to be assessed on a candle by candle basis.

Guest OldGlory

You're welcome... going another step - nuts are eaten, candles/fragrances are inhaled (the combustion of the whole). Did she tell you why this concerns her?

I know this doesn't really help immensely but this is what I've experienced.

I've seen some children that cannot even touch a nut or nut shell because they are that allergic. I've been asked the same question (I use only soy) so I researched.   I couldn't find any articles on it, even

all the testing research.  My brother, however, cannot be in the room with a soy candle, even unscented or he gets an allergic reaction.  I am highly allergic to ingesting soy but can play with

it all day and burn it all day.  So all I say now is that I wouldn't take a chance if anyone around is allergic to soy, but soy really isn't a nut.

I had to quit working with soy because I would break out in painful red bumpy skin rashes. I have never been allergic to anything in my life until I started working with soy. So I know from experience that you can have an allergy or allergic reaction to it. But I am not allergic to nuts so its just the soy. I don't have any problems working with palm or paraffin. I don't think nut allergies and soy allergies are the same but it is possible to be allergic or develop an allergy to one or both.

It might have been a concern if you make or she planned on using them as "lotion" candles. 

Personally I would never make a lotion candle and would never buy/use/or recommend them. Getting a candle to burn correctly is hard enough on it's own without adding people dipping their hands into the hot wax. But that is for a different soap box. LOL 

Just saying it might have been asked because of that, and as Candybee mentioned you can be allergic to soy, and if nuts were in the processing plant, that could pose a problem.