EPA website

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

I went to the EPA website and I encourage everyone to do the same. Find the browser on the website and type in candles, then read everything. As a candle manufacturer, this is stuff we should all know. References are made throughout the EPA text to the National Candle Association and the Okometric study. As a note, it is generally accepted that the wicks we buy from our suppliers are lead-free and have been since 1974. The study reports that people that make their own wicks might make wicks with lead in them, and that candles imported from outside the US could also contain lead wicks.

Here are some quotes:

Sooting can occur when combustion conditions are impaired with burning candles. Scented candles are more likely to produce soot than unscented candles. Sooting can cause property damage by blackening surfaces. We could not identify any studies on potential human health associated with soot from candles.

Candles labeled 'super-scented' and those soft to the touch are more likely to generate soot.

A small and stable flame has a lower emission rate than a larger flickering flame with visible particle emissions.

Lead wicks aside, consumers are exposed to concentrations of organic chemicals  in candle emissions. There is no health hazard associate with candle burning even when a worst case scenario of 30 candles burning in a 50m x 50m x 50m room is assumed. (side note - if you break that down to a smaller room of 10m x 10m x 10 m, or a very small bedroom, that would be 6 candles burning)

I think a good question to ask those who lie/boast about their candles is "where did you get your information?"  :read:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

I went back to find that data but couldn't (and didn't want to spend an hour looking for it). I will check again another time. The data came from EPA.gov .

I am just saying. Because if anyone would quote this information, result would be scary. Here is why: 50x50x50m equals 125 000 cubic meters. Normal 50 square meters room is about 50x2.5m that is 125 cubic meters. That is a 1000x difference. Meaning that burning just 1 candle in a 50 sq. m room, emission concentration would still be 33x times bigger than in 50x50x50m :)

Edited by wilkas

Guest OldGlory

Found it! The designation is 50 m3, but I can't get the 3 up to the right position. It's been too many years since I had a math class I guess - I interpreted that as 50 m cubed.

The exact web address of this bit of info is:

nepis.epa.gov/ADOBE/PDF/1009BZL.pdf

It is on the 39th page of this document. I think the entire document has valuable information in it, including candle emissions that exceed OSHA's standards, but not EPA's standards. It's worth reading.