Speaking of Claims...

I was at a craft fair this weekend. It's the same one I go to every year. There is a soy vendor there. NOTHING against his products themselves. They look very nice, have great CT, and he was burning one and it had a decent HT (the place was huge, and there were a lot of competing smells throughout so that was hard to gauge, but when you were close you could smell it) 

However, last year I just stopped by and was talking to him and he was telling me his candles were all naturally organic, he used nothing but Essential Oils in any of them (even though he had scents like Monkey Farts, Fruit Slices, and some others that were clearly NOT EO's) 

This year, when I walked by I overheard him telling a woman he grew his own soy wax (YES WAX- NOT BEANS, he was adamant about that) so he didn't have to have it shipped to him like other soy candle makers, he did it all himself. 

SMH... I just dont' understand why people think it's okay to make claims like that. 

I just - I couldn't even stop to talk to him this year because I have a feeling I would have gone off on him. 

Anyway, that is my rant on the whole "claims" issue today. 

I'm speechless about it really. I just don't have the words... 

• Like 2

Wow, that's crazy..just spewing all kinds of lies, and lots of uninformed customers probably believe him..I would've probably had a come apart on this dude,lol..

Yeah, but then I would have just caused a scene. No sense in that. And I may want to be a vendor at this fair some day. :) 

He also had hot pink, bright yellow, lime green and neon orange in his "all naturally organic" candles. 

Like I said, nothing against the product itself, it seemed like a perfectly fine product. Just the claims got to me. LOL 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Wow, I responded earlier to this - wonder where it went???

I think we all need to find a tactful way to confront these people and stop them in their tracks. And if not tactful, then perhaps more direct.

Wow, I responded earlier to this - wonder where it went???

I think we all need to find a tactful way to confront these people and stop them in their tracks. And if not tactful, then perhaps more direct.

Last year I asked him where he got his Monkey Farts Essential Oil. (Thinking that would put him on the spot) He just said "there are a lot of essential oil suppliers on the internet" I think he thought I was trying to "steal" his ideas, or something. Who knows... But that is one of the (many) reasons I didn't approach him this year. 

Jcandleattic, I suppose you're a better person than I am - or at least more tactful, 'cause I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut, lol.  I would have plastered him with a bunch a questions about his wax fields, and how many farts need to be collected from monkeys, distilled and bottled to produce his Monkey Farts, etc. etc.

• Like 3

I honestly think some chandlers, and soap makers for that matter, don't truly know what they're talking about. They don't know the correct definition of an essential oil, so assume an FO and and EO are the same. Some of it is lies and blatant misinformation in an attempt to win customers, but in some cases I think folks are just ignorant. I had a candle maker tell me I could make any candle safe oil skin safe just by adding sweet almond oil to it to dilute it! She was totally clueless.

Lmao....I would of had a hay day with this guy! My daughter gets upset with me when we go to craft type shows or events because I go out of my way to find candles and see what they are like and try to get them talking about them so I can indirectly let them know I know better....too funny

• Like 3

I also love when I see a candle vendor that states all natural essential oils and then has something like chocolate chip cookie or sex on the beach for example. Many of my customers ask me what I use to fragrance my candles and I let them know right away FO and not EO. I explain the candles would not be affordable and why waste a good EO to just burn it. It is always funny to prod them on a bit and ask them where they find the EO like that.

Karen from MA

Chances are good he won't last that long. I'm sure you are not the only one who has questioned his claims even if you didn't voice it. You can be certain some customers are scratching their heads over his claims. I've had quite a few knowledgeable customers ask me specific questions on my oils, colorants, wax, wicks, etc. Customers today have more access to information, good and bad. The smart ones can figure out the false claims from the facts. Anyway, thats why I don't think he will last much longer. You will see he will disappear in a year or two.

• 2 weeks later...