wax information

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

For those of you who have not seen the 2007 Okometric study regarding the particulate emissions of paraffin and soy waxes, I am going to copy some info for you. I feel it is important that we all know the truth about this so that we don't participate in the misinformation. Regardless of your feelings about one wax or another, this study presents evidence. You can read the article for yourself at Candle.org, go to the Science of Candles, Research Studies, 2007 Okometric Study Summary.

This study was sponsored by national and international companies: Association of European Candle Manufacturers; Asociacion Latino Americana de Fabricantes de Velas; Cargill, International; The European Wax Federation; The National Candle Association; the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association. Other wax companies participated in the testing, certifying of results, and the use of company personnel.

"The study found that all of the waxes (paraffin, soy wax, stearin, palm wax and beeswax) burned cleanly and safely, with no appreciable difference in burning behaviors. Their combustion byproducts were virtually identical in composition and quantity...far below the most restrictive of any applicable indoor-air standards."

I sincerely hope that the members of this crafting community will refrain from spreading bad information about one type of wax or the other. It reflects poorly on everyone in the industry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

Yes, National Candle Association, candles.org. - see Science of Candles, then Research Studies. If that doesn't work please let me know and I'll make sure you get it.

Guest OldGlory

There are people who will argue about anything, believe nothing except the same wrong thought they've had for 20 years, etc - you're probably not going to convince them of anything. I walk away from those people. *dead horse*