HELP cleaning wax off of clothing.

So has anyone seen what 3 plus pounds of melted red hot cinnamon soy wax looks like when spilled? I have. I was pouring later than I should have last night and was in a hurry. Had my pouring bucket ready and was not paying attention and down it went. Down the front of me all over my sneakers, pants, 3 coats hanging on the back of a chair,  floor, walls, chair legs and table legs. I scraped it all up and went to bed but now I have no sneakers or coats.

Does anyone know if I can clean the wax off the sneakers or are they a lost cause. I really do not want to put this stuff in the washer and dryer as I don't want to get any residue in the dryer. Also any hints on getting the film off the floor?

Karen in MA

post-11330-0-19803500-1415543318_thumb.j

Gently heat the floor and wipe and repeat.  

Sneakers, it ought to wear off. The problem would be where it decides to fall off, but these too you ought to be able to scrape some off. 

As for clothes, newspaper and iron. This might also work on your floor. 

• Like 1

Hi Karen,

I feel for ya.....I really do.  2 weeks ago I spilled about 1  cup of wax all over my tile counter and it ran down the bottom cabinet doors also and dripped onto the floor.  It is no where near the amount you have of 3 pounds spilled, boy oh boy.....but how I did mine was this way.  Now keep in mind I'm using 464 soy and not parrafin so I don't know what wax you spilled.  I guess if parrafin, you have a little problem..ha!  But as you know with soy it washes with soap and water.  What I did for me was let the wax harden, then I scraped it off as good as I could get of the counters and the grout lines.  Then I ran hot water through my coffee pot as a coffee pot makes mad hot water for me...hotter than from the faucet.  After the coffee pot made hot water, I poured the hot water all over my counter and immediately squirted dish soap onto my  sponge and started wiping down the counters.  I kept repeating this process and it took hours till the counters became clean and fee of wax.  I did the same thing on my floor and scrubbed and scrubbed with the back of a scruffy sponge till I got all the wax up and it worked.  Now if I had poured wax all over my clothes, I would have thrown. lol but that's me.  I would do the same process with your sneakers as I did for the counters, scrape off, pour mad hot water over the sneakers and scrub with a soapy sponge.  DEFINTELY DON'T put in the washing machine.  As what Scented said, I will remember what she says should that happen to me....about doing the clothes.  If your wax is parrafin, as far as your shoes go, you'll probably laugh at this, but I would put your shoes in the freezer and let the wax harden and then  scrape it off.  Actually I would do that even for soy wax.  

Good luck!  I feel for ya!

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

I forgot to mention and youv'e probably already cleaned your floor by now, but in case you haven't..you should have no problem with your floor.

To me your floor looks like a congoleum floor so it should be no problem.  I would get a spatula and very carefully scrape and scrape in only one direction all the hardened wax.  Don't scrape in all different directions as you will put scratches in your floor.  Then wash your floor.

Good luck!

Trappeur

I did scrape the floor last night but keep finding places it splattered. All day I have been using a cloth with super hot water and soap wiping the floor but it is a slow process. I think the sneakers are toast as the wax ran right into them so they are coated inside and out. The pants I think I will just run under water and wash in the tub and then they will become my new candle making pants as no matter how clean I get them they will probably have grease spots. I am using 444.

Karen in MA

• 4 months later...

I feel for ya. I spilled a pour pot full of cinnamon wax on me and the floor. Only mine was colored cinnamon red. Most of the floor wax I could just scrape up. But the rest I used my heat gun to melt it then wipe up with paper towels. My counters were pretty easy too. I could scrape off most of the wax then heat gun melt and dab it up. Fortunately I always wear my candle or soap clothes when doing either as I know I am a klutz. More often than not I am spilling FO or EO on my clothes. Anyway, my house and clothes smell really nice! LOL