TCS clamshell smell

bzbdc

I haven't bought clams from them but I know how you feel. I bought some from Cajun about a year ago and no matter how cool I poured or what I did, they still had a stinky plastic smell. I even washed them and let them dry and they still had a smell! Thankfully I only bought 100.

Ever since I've bought them from either  ICS, Fillmore or candle clamshells and none of theirs had a plastic smell at all.

• Like 1

Just leave the box open, if you have the room take them out and leave in stacks.  The smell should disappear in a day or so.  I think they get that smell when they are boxed too soon after production, I've had it

happen with every company.  My guess is that Fillmore is unboxing and selling in smaller quantities and that's why you don't smell it by the time you get them.

I have heard some say the smell comes back if you pour too hot, but I've never had that happen and I've poured everywhere from 110-140 with soy wax.  Once I poured hotter and got 2 leaks so never did

that again!

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 3

Guest OldGlory

I have not ordered clams from any of the above mentioned companies, so I can't speak to the smell or airing out process. However, I just ordered from Maryland thermoform, both PVC and PET to test, and there is absolutely no smell that I can detect from either type of plastic. They are of really good quality, too - seem a bit thicker than the others I have used. I am very impressed with them. Someone may have to do a co-op because they have really big minimums, but it might be worth it in the end.

Never had the fo scent disappear in Impact clams and I've used them for years.  Just found some melts at my mom's house that I made over 5 years ago and they still had the scent, actually very surprised they did.  I typically will take any melts that have been on the shelf for a year or start to discolor from the fluorescent lights and discount them to clear but always check the scent and it's always good.

Thanks for the suggestion to air them out! I will definitely do that! I emailed TCS to gripe about the scent and to ask if the wax will pick it up. They said it shouldn't. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't. I'd hate to have 600 skunky clamshells. That's a lot of wasted wax.

I have not ordered clams from any of the above mentioned companies, so I can't speak to the smell or airing out process. However, I just ordered from Maryland thermoform, both PVC and PET to test, and there is absolutely no smell that I can detect from either type of plastic. They are of really good quality, too - seem a bit thicker than the others I have used. I am very impressed with them. Someone may have to do a co-op because they have really big minimums, but it might be worth it in the end.

What is realy big?  more than 2 cases of 875?