Antibacterial soap

flair

I am a candle guy but is it possible to make antibacterial soap?? A friend of mine just ordered a ton from bath and body .... Really can it be made because she just spent a ton

if you make soap, you ARE making antibacterial soap. Soap by it's very nature is antibacterial. Commercials and marketing just make it seem as if making that claim makes their soaps better. However, due to FDA regulations you cannot claim that your soap is anti anything... 

Guest OldGlory

Just look through the bath and body things offered at the different resources, like Aroma Haven, Bittercreek, Aztec, etc. What you can make is endless. What you can make money on, however, is not endless, lol.

Yes, you can make liquid or cream soap using koh (postassium hydroxide). There are also suppliers that make a liquid soap base that you can add additives and FO/eo to. (I'm assuming you are referring to the liquid anti-bacterial soap made at b&bw.):) Oh, and I also agree that all soap "should" be anti-bacterial. - I think anti-bacterial is a phrase that has been over used and really doesn't mean much, IMO.

• Like 1

Hi Flair!

I get my bases from Bitter Creek North

Hand Sanitizer GEL (FOR WATERLESS LEAVE ON THE HANDS SANITIZER TO KILL GERMS)

Anti Bacterial Liquid HAND SOAP base (FOR FOAMING HAND SOAP ONLY....LOVE AND MAKES AWESOME FOAMING HAND SOAP)

When ordering , do not get the two confused as I HAVE in the past..... :) There is a definite difference...

I LOVE these products...:)

• Like 1

First, what BBW sells in the liquid form is not soap. It is a syndet (synthetic detergent, surfactant). The stuff in that bottle compared to liquid soap is apples to oranges.

Soap, true soap, is naturally antibacterial with a pH in the 9-10 range. Liquid soap is made with KOH versus bar soap made with NaOH. Cream soap is a combo of both that is a whippable paste.

BUT washing with either syndet or true soap in warm/hot water for long enough will accomplish the same thing: mechanically remove bacteria and such from skin. We tend to over use anti bacterial additives in cleansers, don't we? Just washing hands often enough would do the job without helping to create superbugs.

In any event, i would not make any product labeled specifically as "anti-bacterial". Specific words like that are an invitation to the FDA for a site inspection and C&D since it crosses the line into a drug. A soap maker friend was the lucky recipient of a surprise visit from the FDA a couple months ago just because a couple soap scents on her web site contained words like "smells medicinal" and "anti".

• Like 2

WOW... No FED's for me!!  But yes what I was referring to is the gel that you squirt on your hands and it dries.  We use a lot of that. So where would one start to make that and is there a video and process list for how to do it???  Thanks!!

Even the hand sanitizer gel is considered a drug as it is intended to kill bacteria. Commercial brands have been lab tested to assure the bacteria are, indeed, being killed as promised on the label.

Several retailers sell the base that you can scent though.

Edited to add an example: https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Hand-Sanitizer-Gel-Base.html

Most sanitizer gels are just alcohol at a specific % defined by the FDA, thickened with a gelling agent like a polymer or carbomer (not unlike Sterno). The alcohol content can easily class them as HAZMAT, so be very, very careful if you plan to ship them.

Edited by TallTayl