Help! soap seized on me

Candybee

I know someone on this forum has a trick for soap seizing. They keep it warm and wait 30 minutes or something until its re-softens enough to smash down? I hope someone remembers cause I have big lumps of soap in my mold. I don't want to have to rebatch if I could remember the instructions for seizing.

I know someone on this forum has a trick for soap seizing. They keep it warm and wait 30 minutes or something until its re-softens enough to smash down? I hope someone remembers cause I have big lumps of soap in my mold. I don't want to have to rebatch if I could remember the instructions for seizing.

Wish I could help :sad2:

Edited by 7 Pawz

Yes, wait until it starts to gel, (about 2-5 minutes) then it will loosen up and smooth out - you won't get nice pretty swirls and it will resemble HP (not quite as rustic) 

OR you can add about 2oz cold water to try and loosen it. That helps as well. 

This is probably way too late, however, it will help for next time. :) 

Thanks! It did start to loosen up in the mold but I was too worried and ended up putting it in my crockpot. So then I was able to put it into the mold and mash it down but it still looks pretty rough. I was going to do a tri-color swirl. Now I have no idea what it will look like until I cut it.

But the info will help next time.

The FO that did this to me was MW Orange Ginger. Instant soap on a stick. I would not have guessed this FO would do that to me but it did. Luckily it was only a sample batch and since MW is no longer open I won't be buying that scent again.

I'm a little late seeing your post, but anytime I have a seizing soap on a stick pot of soap, I heat my oven to 170 degrees and stick the stainless steel pot of soap in the oven until it gels, and then pour in the mold. It's not as pretty and smooth as regular cp, but I hate rebatching soap with a passion and this oven method works like a charm for me. I don't like fooling with the crockpot either,lol..I found a salad shooter at bed bath & beyond a few days ago on clearance and shredded up a lot of old soap scraps and rejects, and had it in my mind that I was going to do the quick microwave rebatch method and I wound up trashing the first batch, as I never could get it smooth enough to my liking. I'm just going to use the rest of the soap shreds for confetti soap in new batches so it doesn't go to waste, as I'm done with this rebatching business! I hope your soap turned out ok, it's odd that an orange fragrance seized up on ya..most time citruses thin out the batter. 

The last time I soaped BCN's Ed Hardy dupe, it thickened up on me too much by the time Poured it in the mold. I had used 3 colors for swirling, and forgot to use full water. Big mistake! I used my wooden slab mold, and had to wind up putting it in the warm oven as well because the soap wasn't in the corners and was all uneven. I stirred it around some with my chopstick some after it gelled, and banged it on the counter, and got it evened out best I could. post-9169-0-11856100-1414207409_thumb.jp

I never had a batch that actually seized on me like that before so I don't generally work with difficult FOs. I do know the ones that get thick fast but I keep notes and that helps me work around problem scents.

I may try the lecithin if I ever have another problem batch like that. Its good to know there are some tricks for those stinker FOs! Thanks for all the good tips everyone!

• 8 months later...

The last time I soaped BCN's Ed Hardy dupe, it thickened up on me too much by the time Poured it in the mold. I had used 3 colors for swirling, and forgot to use full water. Big mistake! I used my wooden slab mold.

I did a whipped soap in this scent. Never got thicker or seized, so I think with ones I KNOW will accelerate or seize, I will whip from now on. 

• Like 1