Slowing the Cool Down Rate

I have been reading a ton of articles on this site and have learned quite a bit. Thank you all ! My wife and I starting pouring container candles a few months ago. We are still trying to remedy the fast cool down process. I have read where some use towels, warmers, boxes. What works best for you ? For those that use towels...are you wrapping each candle? How do you secure the towel? Warmers...what type works best? I have thought about a waming tray or putting the candles in an insulated large cooler. Any feedback would be much appreciated !! Thanks!

Guest OldGlory

Some more information would be helpful - what kind of wax do you use? where do you pour (your kitchen? your basement? garage?) and what is the temperature there?

I pour in my kitchen and I use a variety of waxes. The only wax I use that needs attention as to how quickly it cools is a parasoy "one pour" blend. When the temp inside my house is below 76F, and especialy when it is below 70, I have to protect the cool down process. If it's a bit warmer, I will just surround the problem candles with larger diameter candles that don't require watching. If it is below 70, I turn my oven on 200 and use that slow heat to maintain the heat a bit longer. Seems only the narrower jars give me trouble.

I have used CB Advanced Soy, GW 464 and have ordered small quantities of 6006 and CB-125 to try. Getting lots of separation, frosting (not as much with Advanced) Mostly all soy. I have changed temps often. I start melt at 185 with dye and scents. 1.5 oz to lb and have poured from 160 down to 120. I preheat the jars in the oven. Leave them cooling on a wire rack in the kitchen where we pour. (Ambient 73-75 degress) 

Guest OldGlory

Great, that info helps a lot.

I have no experience with either of the CBs, but 464 and 6006 are my container waxes. I've been using both for years.

When you say separation, do you mean that the wax is pulling away from the glass? If yes, I know that 6006 will do that but I have not experienced 464 doing that. There is nothing you can do that I know of. Some people heat the jars but eventually they cool, so I think that would render the jar warming useless - not certain about that, just my thought. I have found that in cooler temps, my 6006 jars pull completely away from the glass and look pretty nice. Warmer temps not so much. Maybe the key is cooling them sufficiently.

Frosting in dyed soy candles is a fact of life. Get comfortable with it or stop using dyes. Using dark colored glass or tins will disguise the issue.

Guest OldGlory

With 464 I don't use a thermometer because I know what the wax looks like when it's ready.

I pour at a creamy stage, which is a 2 step process. I allow the wax to cool then slowly reheat it until it looks like cream, stirring slowly.

If you are pouring into tins or dark glass and don't have to worry about refill lines, you can fill all but a 1/4" at the top and allow the wax to cool along with the pouring pot. Reheat the remaining wax until it is creamy, then top off the containers. I have quite a few small pouring pots for the small amounts required to top off my tins.

I have tried pouring at 140 and 145 and I don't get consistent results.

I just always cover them with big cardboard boxes.  Usually the boxes you get 10 reams of paper in.  Those always work good and depending on the size of your containers can usually fit about 8 to 10 candles under them.  I have about 4 boxes for my power cooking.  :)  

I have a large cardboard packing box with a leveled wood bottom (use a level to make sure) and then cover with a doubled heavy bed spread. Spacing the jars is critical (about an inch apart) and then leave covered over night. I have used the method of placing back in the box with the boxes inside the large cardboard box but make sure they are resting in their cartons straight up and not at an angle or you get uneven tops. You can make a warming box with insulated foam and liquid nails, as well as a form fitting top (use duct tape to strengthen seams)for cheap from a hardware store. I have specifications somewhere but maybe its still in the archives. HTH

Steve

I just always cover them with big cardboard boxes.  Usually the boxes you get 10 reams of paper in.  Those always work good and depending on the size of your containers can usually fit about 8 to 10 candles under them.  I have about 4 boxes for my power cooking.   :)

Hi Coachtom!

I do the exact same thing the pcbrook does....I take the TOP of the box lay it on the counter upside down....place a section of newspaper inside of that (which catches any spills and I think helps to insulate more) then place the bottom of my copy paper ream box over my candles and into the top....in other words when I am done....my copy paper ream box is upside down on the counter. :) I hope I made some sense here. hee hee. I do this with all of my candles....it keeps the dust out, those darned little knats out (they love the smell of my fruity candles) :) ....darned things anyhow, and it definitely lets my candles cool down slowly. Works awesomely on the mottled pillar candles. In the physicians office that I work in I covet all of these boxes that I can....it is tough sometimes though because everyone loves these boxes for storing too.  :)     

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1