pouring fragrance oils

If you are sensitive to them, then yes. 

My area is very open, but I wouldn't say "well ventilated" there are no fans or anything, and I pour many different scents when making candles all the time and usually don't have a problem unless I end up pouring a scent I'm sensitive too like Lavender (which will give me a headache/migraine when I'm not super careful with it) 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Keep in mind that fragrance oils are chemicals. Even when it's extremely hot or extremely cold I make sure to keep fresh air flowing in when I am making candles.

I always ventilate and wear a ventilator. The vapors from the FOs spread out even though you may not see them you will be breathing them in unless you ventilate. Symptoms of poisoning can be various; nausea, upset stomach or stomach cramps, feeling faint, lightheaded, coughing, stuffy head, headache. I've had these over the years from making candles so thats why I bought myself a ventilator and won't make candles unless I am wearing it.

Also, if you have children, pets, seniors, or allergy prone persons living with you they should stay out of the candle making area and you should ventilate the room so the vapors won't reach other parts of your home.

I have to put my 2 senior cats in a closed off bedroom when I make candles. I ventilate the room for an hour before I let them out again. Before I used to do that they would vomit all over the house for about 2 days after my candlemaking.

I have learned through my years of candlemaking that the chemical vapors that are released when you make candles are toxic and should be treated as such. You may not feel the effects now, but you can in the future and by then you may have already developed a lung condition. I've seen posters here in the past that ended up with medical conditions in their lungs due to years of candlemaking.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

I turn on my window fan but wish there was an air purifier in the room. I don't always wear my ventilator (double organic filters)but with my asthma I should. I've had a couple of lung infections from over doses of fo and a couple of lung fulls of lye water and it makes you take things a little more seriously concerning your lungs. These fumes are very concentrated and sometimes I can even faintly pick them up with the respirator on my face. It really helps keep candle nose down too; so there's a couple of good reasons to protect yourself.

Steve

• Like 1

My husband works in the HVAC industry and he set me up with cross ventilation for my studio.  I just crack a window a tiny bit at one end and then set my fan up to pull the air through and out.  Some fragrances make me quite ill when I pour and it helps keep the air fresh.

My front yard smells nice on pouring days!

• Like 1

I keep saying it but I really need to get e ventilator I have had headaches and I have to wonder if my light headed spells are a result of pouring even though I get them when I haven't poured for several weeks

I had a commercial exhaust fan put in my storage room where I do the actual melting and pouring but you can obviously still smell the scents and there is no windows to crack in there - if I leave the door open it goes all into my basement

The exhaust fan vent comes out by my dryer vent and you really smell it outside when I have poured

I also had a UV gadget out on my furnace that is supposed to zap gases and molds and dust in the air when it's running but my heating guy said to not run it while pouring because it will pull all the fragrance thru the house before it kills it out

I bought the disposable painters masks for fumes but not sure if they work on FOs

Ideally I need to get it out of my house entirely and wear a approved ventilator- my son developed severe allergies this year and they say asthma/ even though he hasn't had any asthma attacks since being hospitalized and I can't help but blame myself that it's my candle making that did it- before the exhaust fan I just poured in the open basement and never opened windows or let fresh air in.... I had no idea they could actually harm you

My son is at college now and he says he doesn't cough or need his singulair or claritan until he comes home- he starts coughing again and I have been making sure since his diagnosis to shut the basement door- open the doorwall with a fan pulling air out- pouring in the storage room with the exhaust fan on even for 8 hours later and I never pour when he is home or light a candle or melt ....Then when all the smell is gone I turn the fan in my furnace to kill it all so I have to wonder if this stuff disperses and clings everywhere regardless of what you do- is it in my walls- my furniture- my carpet.....ifs scary

I store my oils in the office in the basement and keep that door shut- although they are all closed it smells so strong in there- but we don't ever use it with all the laptops and iPads now but bottles just sitting there in bins let off fumes

I think it's time to figure out what respirator to get and build a heated shed with windows and a dozen exhaust fans!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!! Im loving this website :) today I poured and opened my sliding glass door and turned on my ceiling fan. That helped a lot. Moonshine my son also has allergies and allergy induced asthma. Im going to move to another room besides my kitchen and use a fan to pull it out of the house. I might even build me a room in my husbands garage and put a good ventilation system in it. Also im going to get me a mask

Moonshine I think in your case it would help to have a small room fan nearby to ventilate the immediate area you are working in. Get yourself a good ventilator mask at your local Lowes or Home Depot and wear it faithfully when making candles. Its a pain to wear but your lungs will thank you for it. Leave the fan on for an hour after pouring. If its the only ventilation you have it will help.

Before I got my ventilator mask I had already developed a cough from only 5 yrs of pouring candles. I would cough all day on pouring days and it would last for a couple days. After I bought my mask the cough stopped immediately.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Candybee- how do you know what type works for fragrance oils? There are so many and my husband tells me regardless of what I get I need to go to our clinic we send our guys to for proper fit- they all had to do this for a demo we did on a house that had asbestos - all OSHA regulated but the safety class they had to take before hand had told them if it's not checked for proper fit it won't do any good

I just walked right into my local Lowes and bought the ventilator mask they had. Its not like they had a big selection. It was either the cheap disposable paper/cloth version that painters wear or the respirator with changeble filters. I bought the respirator. It just say its made by 3M. It has adjustable straps and fits snugly over my mouth and nose. I have goggles too that have adjustable straps. I needed those for making CP soap. I can't smell a thing when I am wearing it. I use both for candlemaking and CP soaping. Works great. Cost was about $40 with the filters in it. New filters are about $25 and need to be changed periodically.

3M Tekk Paint Project Respirator, Medium, P95

by 3M

Price: $34.85

Price: $25.19 Free Shipping for Prime Members

You Save: $9.66 (28%)

In Stock.

• Low maintenance

• Bayonet style cartridges for comfort

• Adjustable straps

• Cartridges and pre-filters can be replaced

• Assembly consists of 1 each 3M half face piece, 1 pair of 3M organic vapor cartridge, 2 pairs of 3M particulate filter, and 1 pair of 3M filter retainer

This thing straps onto your head like a Chinese puzzle but it really works. I tried to post a pic but wasn't able to get it posted for some reason. HTH

Steve