teaching your clients

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

I am really conflicted about something and I would love to read some different perspectives on the subject.

I have a client, been doing business with them for 10 years, and in that time they have carried many different types of candles, and some with brand names we all recognize. I private label for them. So they have, let's say for ease of conversation, a total of 5 brands of candles in their stores and mine is 1 of the 5.

Over the years, brands have come and gone, and within the last 30 days they added a brand that says their soy candles 'burn cleaner than paraffin candles'. I know that the brand gave them the wording. They buy my soy candles and I wouldn't give them that wording because I know it's not true and I feel more responsible for honesty than the average vendor. I guess.

To compound the issue, this company turns their buyers every 12-18 months. Every time there is a buyer change, I email the buyer to try to explain the features of soy wax and the drawbacks of this wax. I am pretty convinced that the information I share is simply not absorbed. There is never a response and invariably it comes up again when they want something else in soy wax. So I go through the "do you want color or not? if you want color you need to understand that with soy there is frosting...blah, blah, blah." They say they want color and are willing to overlook the frosting. However, one of the buyers along the way said 'no more soy in clear glass containers because of the frosting' so we went to a parasoy for all clear glass jars. The decisions that come down the pike are always subject to change with a new buyer.

I don't want to look like a whiner, but I am compelled to bring to their attention that this new vendor has given them incorrect wording, that the evidence shows that soy isn't any cleaner burning than paraffin, and that it is just a belief that has been spun.

Now, this new vendor is hot, hot, hot in the candle world and they are major national players whereas I am a very local small player. It could be construed as sour grapes on my part (because they are cutting into my business or whatever, even though I have never complained about being one of many).

What to do? I look forward to reading your comments.

I would let them know regardless of the other brand being a big-name brand you being a small local vendor. You can (and I know you will) do it politely and instead of just telling them with just your words, you can either print up some pages for verified links stating such (giving them the link of course so they can look it up themselves), give them some pamphlets on the subject by respected vendors in the business, etc., 

It can be done, and done well, and after that, it's up to them what they choose to believe and parrot.

Honestly you need to stay out of it. Buyer could be one of those people that would have a real problem with you mentioning anything. They would consider you interfering with their job. They would also consider it none of your business. As a Candlemaker I would not mind if I was the buyer, but if I was not I would pretty much ignore you and then I would phase your product out. Now if my boss had brought this up I would listen and maybe contact you as a long stand vender to get your opinion.

You will run a huge risk by saying anything. Mainly because it is none of your business what that company orders, sells or how they sell it. You may not like that but that is the truth.

As a Candlemaker I would like to see you go in guns blazing but that would not be the best decision on your part.

Do you ever talk to these people in person? If you do you could casually bring soy's do and don't in the course of conversation about your products. That would get the point across with out bringing the other vendor in to it.

Guest OldGlory

Two interesting perspectives, both highlighting some of my own feelings on the subject.

JC, I really WANT them to know, and to take it in the spirit offered, which is 1) I don't want them to get in trouble over it, and 2) when they make sweeping generalizations about soy wax they alienate the other candle vendors, not just me. The products they carry of mine are 50% all soy and 50% parasoy.

Also I want to write the gigantic hot, hot, hot company and tell them that they are full of crap and that I would love for them to show me evidence of their claim. And if they can't substantiate their claim they need to remove it. But I know better. I'm a little guy. They can afford a team of lawyers.

And Vicky, I have traveled this road with this company before. One buyer decided to put in reed diffusers and drop my candles for several months. It wasn't over something I said to them, just that the buyer had a friend who made diffusers... and you know how that goes. Months later the company VP of merchandising called me at home and asked me to come back, and I did. Since then, there have been some difficult times, but that VP keeps me around. I don't want to ruin this. I know I am appreciated. And I know that they have plans to add new fragrances and new products from me within the next 6 months.

I am not sure which way to go.

If you have a relationship with the VP then talk to them not the buyer. That would be your better option.

That's exactly my thought too Old Glory.....I would definitely talk with the VP!  You've been with them for a long time and obviously it seems that the VP has respect for you.  I'd go right to the big wig.  You have a nice way of putting thinks in words and you have been a loyal vendor to them all these years and he/she knows it.....

Trappeur

I'm so sorry to hear of something like this happen to you...You don't deserve that..... *shudder*  :angry: 

Guest OldGlory

I will try to think of a way to bring it up without being obvious, then tie it in to "the mistruths being perpetuated" in the candle industry.

It's kind of like deciding whether or not to tell your best friend that her husband is cheating on her. It's none of your business, but the lies can hurt people.

I agree with Vicky, in that it really isn't any of your business what anyone claims, other that yourself.  The big named company could care less if they are telling the truth or not, people will buy anyway and they know it and if these other candles sell,  your VP isn't gonna care either.  There are a few companies out there that say their candle wax is 100% soy, when I know darn well they have paraffin mixed in it.  I only worry about MY customers knowing the truth and have won over many 100% soy wax die hards with my parasoy mix because they like the clean burn and the scents compared with the big names.

Guest OldGlory

Part of me agrees with that, Chris. And I would like to keep my relationship with the VP as an 'ace in the hole' for a time when I really need her. She and I both have reached out at times and it is a comfort to know she is there for me. This could be seen as trivial and damage that relationship.

I have to agree with Vicky on this too. For the most part I would only discuss what needs to be discussed for the sale and delivery details. If they private label and make their own labels they can pretty much put anything on their labels they want. The only thing they need on their labels is the candle manufacturer name, thats you, and it can be placed on the warning label on the bottom of the candle. I think having any discussion with them about what soy is or what your opinions are on it can sour your relationship. If you feel comfortable enough to talk to the VP about this one detail then pass it on and then drop it. Let them decide. After all, they are their candles once they are sold. 

If you absolutely hate or strongly disagree with their label verbage then you always have the option of dropping the account.

Yea........as horrible as it is....there is probably nothing you can really do Old Glory...Now that I've thought about it even further, I guess I'll agree with what others say and say just don't even worry about it.  You know what a beautiful product you create for them and they undoubtedly know so themselves and they really don't want to lose you. The VP who called you sounds like she has some decency in her being that she called you. You have been loyal to them all these years and nowadays that' s far and inbetween that there are people such as that and that's you!  And too Old Glory not everyone who comes into these stores is into the big names.  Geesh some of these big name outfits put out sh.....t!, as we all know it.  Your in the  mountains over in Tennessee and thats's big tourist business and people who come to the mountains and tourist towns like where you are are always looking for genuine things that are made locally by artisans that they can bring back home as souveniers and your are one of them and people love that!    And you know what, you'll probably see another new buyer coming into the store again and time after time they will always be wanting to bring in new stuff to try out.  So yep, let them ramble on for what it's worth.....

Trappeur ;)  :) 

Guest OldGlory

It's the website that says 'cleaner burning than paraffin', not the label.

And directly below that picture on the website are my 6006 candles which they chose, lol, and it clearly says 'paraffin and soy blend'. They wanted dyed candles in soy without frosting and since I couldn't guarantee that, they chose the parasoy, The new line is undyed soy, which they absolutely do NOT want to buy from me. And, the new line is twice the price as mine.

I'm in a head shaking mode. I am not understanding something.

Maybe it's not something I'm supposed to understand.

Edited by OldGlory

You are going to have to walk away from this one. You have no control over what they say on their website. Its their mistake to make that claim and especially clumsy of them to display those words that contradict the product on the same page. It is a headshaker to me too. Personally, I would just snort my derision to myself and leave it.

You are going to have to walk away from this one. You have no control over what they say on their website. Its their mistake to make that claim and especially clumsy of them to display those words that contradict the product on the same page. It is a headshaker to me too. Personally, I would just snort my derision to myself and leave it.

Second that

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it is not worth arguing or worrying about this kind of stuff. I've learned the hard way that you only harm yourself and I've decided not to let my customers steal my peace of mind anymore even if I am tempted to explode sometimes....

I know it is not right but on the other hand: what will be the outcome if you say something? Of course I totally understand how you feel but again: is it worth the trouble?

Not the same situation but as an example: I have a lot of new customers who have ordered fragrance oils for me and immediately write me an email demanding delivery as fast as possible because they have orders to fill with these oils. They have never ordered from me before so they don't know the oils they have ordered and have already orders for them??? So I guess if the candle doesn't burn properly it isn't because of their candle making skills but because of my oils that don't work.... I have asked one of those customers once to explain this to me....never do it again. Cannot change it anyway.

Hugs,

ubure

Edited by ubure

Guest OldGlory

In light of the recent TV broadcast feature story from a misinformed candle maker, I am going to try to educate this small company about soy and paraffin. In the process, 3 or 4 people will then know the truth and they can take their knowledge to a few other people. And I will continue to offer both waxes. In my opinion, this really needs to happen.

Thanks to everyone for offering your opinions!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

Same company is adding wax melts from me. They seem to be obsessed with the assumed cleanliness of soy and now want my labels to say

CLEAN MELTING.    :timeout:

The buyer and I are going to have a long talk...

Seems to me they are looking for the right buzz words to sell their soy products. Instead of focusing on the negative statements, point out to them the positive (and true) selling points of your melts and candles. Or I should say continue to stress the selling points as I am sure you already have.

Some people are so thick they will never get it about the untrue statements. You are probably wasting your time. After all, they hear it all the time all over the media and from some of the unscrupulous manufacturers themselves.

Edited by Candybee