Pillar

Guest OldGlory

For me, making pillars is counterintuitive. I am so attuned to finding that full melt pool in my containers, it's hard to adjust to the incomplete melt pool of a pillar. So it takes a conscious effort to wick down and allow for the wax wall that pillars need. My goal is to leave about 1/4-1/3" wall standing, then make sure each time it is extinguished you gently squeeze in the warm wax at the top. Here's an example of a pillar I burned recently:

Mannie, I agree with the others. It looks just a tad over-wicked. If you could absolutely guarantee that people will only burn them for 3-4 hours, it would be good, but I'm afraid that if they power burn (like some people do) and burn for 6-8 hours or more, you will have a blow-out with wax leaking and going everywhere becoming a fire hazard. 

Perfect burn OldGlory. 

I am having so many wicking issues with my palm wax pillars because you can't hug them so they leave a shell. But blow out when I wick to be self consuming. *sigh* 

• 2 weeks later...

We all have our personal opinions of how we want our candles to burn. Obviously safety first ;) however we can only guide our customers on how they should properly burn. I don't think killing yourself over worry helps anything. they will at times be forgetful and even maybe not care about the instructions given. They have the choice of making the candle safe or dangerous all we can do is be sure to wick to Our own guidelines the rest is out of our hands.

Edited by Oceangazer1

• 3 weeks later...

I adore making pillars by far than any other candle. I use mottling wax and make them as primitive as possible. Most times I wick with an lx 18 to 20 and they are perfect to me

Sorry, should have added I use straight paraffin for mine. I'm in the wrong forum section lol