I'm stuck on men's fragrances

Trappeur

Last week I delivered an order to a salon in town and they loved so much they asked me if I can come up with a men's collection and one request was a sweet like cigar tobacco or pipe type fragrance.  I have been reading up here for suggestions and places to go to buy and this is sure mind boggling....A friend of mine said to get one that smell's like Jovan's Musk.  This is as bad as trying to get a spa collection together which I finally did for the salon as I don't like those type scents but they were happy.

Now I have no idea what to get or where to go.  I would like to I think just start off with 3 or maybe 4 scents.  I sure would love some help if anyone could give me ideas?????

This is what I came up with from the forum here as to what are best choices.

1.  Green Irish Tweed

2.  Drakkar

3.  Black Canyon from Peaks

4.  Black Code

5.  Blue Sugar from Backwoods

6.  Bay Rum

7.  Black Irish (I didn't see it at Backwoods so maybe it is discontinued)

8.  Mid Summer Night

9.  I think I saw where Candybee I believe mixed Bay Rum and Green Irish Tweed together...

10.  Some type of a sweet caramel tobacco or pipe tobacco  I saw somewhere on a site sounded good.

I was thinking, isn't patchoulli or a blend of it considered masculine?

I have to get a few things from Candle Science so it would save shipping to get some from there.  

I saw Coriander and Tonka there and that sounded real nice.

What about their Moon Lake Musk or Oakmoss and Amber?  Would that be a good seller? 

It would sure be great to get them all at one supplier or the most 2 to save on shipping.

Thanks!

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

Okay, I'm not good with the actual scents, but I would think anything woodsy/outdoorsy, anything spicey (without fruit in it) and anything clean smelling. Those would be the groups I would start with and dwindle down from there. 

(sorry, I know it didn't help much) 

Sweetcakes Santa's Pipe is wonderful, people really love this scent.  I personally add a touch of cherry (not black cherry) and it smells just like my grandpa's pipe when I was young.  I've tried a couple other pipe FO's and they can't compare to Sweetcakes IMHO.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I love Aztec's Tobacco (not Tobacco and Cedar) and I agree that it makes a great guy's fragrance. Peppercorn from BCN also makes a great guy's FO. I have tried many of CS's FOs, but can't think of one that fits what you are looking for.

Patchouli is loved by men and women alike - but just a small % of people love it. Most people think it smells bad, lol. A good sandalwood I think would be a better choice, but I find the Antique Sandalwood at CS a little lackluster. The Hawaiian Sandalwood at RE is a great choice.

I think you've got a good start. It might be easier to select if you used the category system of scents, eg.; pick a clean, woodsy, floral, earthy, etc. type scents. That way you can a well rounded selection.

For example:

Clean:

Cool Water

Kentish Rain (BB)

Green Irish Tweed (I do mix either Green Irish Tweed (EBB) or Black Irish (BB) with Bay Rum (PFC/SGS) at 50/50%

Woodsy:

Rocky Mountains (EBB - my male customers love this one)

Sandalwood Patchouli

Cedarwood (FMC) + Cinnamon Stick (CS)

Spicy:

Sandalwood + Allspice EO

Orange Chili Pepper

Floral/Earthy:

Anything Patchouli; Patchouli Orange, Honey Patchouli, Patchouli Musk, etc.

Lavender, Rosemary, Mint (I blend my own)

Lavender Chamomile (I sell more lavender to men than women)

Fresh Grass, Bamboo, Green Cactus, or other "green" scent

Midsummer's Night and Drakkar are very similar so I would just pick with one. Black Canyon is nice but personally I find it a bit on the baby powder side but customers love it. I sell a ton of patch types so defnitely try to fit one in there.

OK if you want to hit the outdoor man, get the Acorns and Black Oak from Soapalooza ... it's totally mmm mmm mmmmmmmm. 

Here's my take on patchouli ... I don't place it in a category, because it can fit in all of them as a fixative, as the base note as the rounded earthy note etc. I don't find it to be either masculine or feminine. It swings however it wants to swing. I would say the same thing about sandalwood too.

Now if you're going for men's types, start looking into the Axe fragrance line, because a lot of that was tailored to the male and women swooned. 

As for the list, good luck finding a good Drakkar any more. AWE had an awesome one and then went OOB. I know a lot of people tend to say that Drak and Midsummer's Night are interchangeable, but to me there's a difference. Similar, maybe, but MN isn't as smooth and sexy as Drak IMO.

Adding, if they've successfully duped Suede from MW anywhere ... there's a wonderful man type in that scent.

Edited by Scented

Drakkar from WSP is good.  Also Havana Nights from Southwest Candle Suppy is supposed to be an Archipelago dupe men's cologne I think - This exotic scent will transport you to Havana's natural surroundings with the scent of  tobacco flower, orange blossom, patchouli and honeysuckle also with clean and citrusy top notes of bergamot.

Forgot to add I make my husband cologne with Black Tie from WSP

Edited by grama

• 4 months later...

I just got in Leather from Texas Candle Supply (Thanks Belinda!).....DIVINE...smells just like a saddle shop! :) I am thinking of blending it w/Oakmoss and Egyptian Musk from Sweetcakes. Also thinking of blending w/Black Canyon and Midsummers night and throw maybe some Fresh Cut Grass or Warm Sandalwood in there somewhere.  I am also going to order the Tobacco I think from Aztec and blend the Leather with that. It seems like the manly smells are a big hit right now. :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

I heartily endorse Aztec's tobacco.

Hey Amanda....it seems that this tobacco is pretty popular...have you put it in wax yet? To your nose what does it smell like? You think I could blend it w/Leather and get a kick-butt Leather and Tobacco scent? I have a customer requesting it. Thanks for your input. :) 

• Like 1

I just discovered Mountain Lake from Peaks. I am loving this and plan to soap it. It has a similar scent to a FO that was discontinued that used to be my best seller in soap. It has a fresh and clean scent while smelling outdoorsy. I think it will be a great unisex scent.

I just discovered Mountain Lake from Peaks. I am loving this and plan to soap it. It has a similar scent to a FO that was discontinued that used to be my best seller in soap. It has a fresh and clean scent while smelling outdoorsy. I think it will be a great unisex scent.

I use this and spring rain in mixes all the time. (not together, but that might not be a bad idea) 

If you haven't soaped it, beware, it moves fast. Just an FYI. :) 

• Like 1

Haha! We think alike. I was planning on using it as a mixer too but want to add some patch and maybe a bit of cedar or sandalwood. I have Peaks Asian Sandalwood and some patch EO and thinking this will make it more earthy. (This would also help tame the acceleration me thinks!) Anyway, can't wait to try it. I keep going over to the bottle and sniffing its goodness! LOL

Puma -- I have used it in wax a bunch! By itself but usually as a blend.

It's hard to describe what it smells like. It's woodsy and a little sweet. I've mixed it with Kentucky Bourbon and that's one of my favorite blends. I also mixed it with Pine Cones over the winter and it was a huge seller.

IMHO it would mix great with leather! It would be like a savory smell with a touch of sweet. It's really strong though. I usually mix it with a 1:3 ratio.

• Like 1