Coconut Oil Substitution?

7 Pawz

I'd like to try using some stearic acid I have laying around, I understand that it can contribute to the hardness of the bar, if I don't have any coconut oil, would that be a feasible substitute in a recipe with olive and canola or sunflower oils?  Guess it would depend upon their SAP values?

Edited by 7 Pawz

Palm Kernal oil (either in flake form or solid) is the closest in characteristic as CO. It does have a higher melt point, and different SAP value but as far as properties it's very similar. 

I have about 150lbs at home. If you would like me to send you a lb or 2, let me know. It's one of my the oils I use in my main recipe. 

If using stearic do so at super low %. That stuff will move things along briskly in the soap pot even at 1-2%. And, through many trial batches i found too much would inhibit lather in my formulas.

As a sub for coconut, as said above, palm kernal, (not plain old palm oil)

Thank you guys for your help, if I do decide to try the stearic, I'll update you.   It sounds a little risky for me to try at the stage of soaping that I am at, I'm not very advanced, still trying a lot of basics