square pillar with a wood wick

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

Thanks gals, sorry Talltayl for making you want to try it!

The wax is 1343, 3% FO load, size 4 wood wick from BCN, no other additives. I have burned this in stages to try to set the burn pattern. It looks like I need a wick a smidge narrower because I think it will break down the walls the next time I burn it for 4 hours or more. Not the corners, but the side walls. It is crackling nicely and the flame is a perfect size. I cannot pull this wick out, sadly, it just crumbles in the pliers.

Forgot to note - this has burned about 10 hours so far

Edited by OldGlory

I have found with most of my wood wicks I trim them just a tad and they do better.  Would love to know how you got the wood wick in!  I have a customer that buys only pillars and she was asking if I could put a wood wick in one.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Grama, I took a thin-bladed kitchen knife and heated it. Stuck the knife in about an inch, or until it stopped, then reheated the blade. I had to stabilize the candle and stand over it to make sure it went in straight. Try it!

Guest OldGlory

Just go slowly, Grama. Take it a little at a time and if it starts to go off center, stop it, reheat and retry. Don't force it and use gentle but steady pressure.

Thanks for sharing OG,  I like your pillar.  I have some wood wicks i wanted to use in mason jars, but never thought about pillars. will add that to my to do list :)   

Edited by 7 Pawz

I think for me, if I were to do this, I would tape up the hole in the mold, pour a tiny bit and hold the wick in that until solid (but not cool enough to pull from the sides) do that a couple of times, (Kind of like you would any layered pillar, but holding the wick steady for the first couple layered pours) and then pour the rest, making what would normally be the top of the candle the bottom. That way the wick is in there, secure and straight, and you don't have to worry about creating a wick hole for your wood wick. The top may be a bit bumpy this way, but that's easily remedied with a heat gun. 

However you do it, good luck. 

The pillar looks good. :) 

Guest OldGlory

I had to get the wood wick into something I had already poured. Seriously, it's not hard. The wax melts on contact with the hot metal knife. Plus, I was hoping to be able to pull out the first wood wick if the melt pool was too big and insert a slightly smaller one.

Jcandle, would you make the bottom the top and vice versa? The wood wick has to extend out of the wax a little bit, so how would you make that happen?

Jcandle, would you make the bottom the top and vice versa? The wood wick has to extend out of the wax a little bit, so how would you make that happen?

You know how when you unmold the candle from a mold, the bottom of the mold is the top of the candle? I would do the opposite. And the opening of the mold where you pour in, that would be the top of the candle. Does that make sense? Then only pour to right below the wood wick. It would just be the opposite of what you normally would consider the top of a pillar candle after taking it out of the mold. 

So you tape the wick hole on the bottom of the mold - that will actually be the bottom of the candle. pour some wax in and hold the wick in there until it's solid but not shrunk. Pour a couple more layers still holding the wick in the same manner (it's really like pouring a layered candle, you are just holding the wick so it doesn't move since there is no way to anchor the wood wick - so in this case I would short wick it by 1/4 to 1/2 inch since you won't have a tab or anything stopping the wick from consuming the entire candle all the way down) and once you have a few layer poured and the wick is secured pour the rest of the candle. 

I like simple (because I'm lazy) and going through the extra effort of creating a wick hole in an already poured candle is too much work for me. LOL 

Guest OldGlory

You know - I use a lot of masking tape to hold wicks in place. Never found a wick bar or any other method I like as well. You could very easily layer 3 strips of masking tape together, like  one thick piece, cut a slice in it wide enough to accept the full size of the wood wick, and then center it across the top (previously used at the bottom) of the mold. You can pour around it if you are using a 3" diameter mold. If the tape is 6" long, you would cut a slice longwise. This would hold the top in place after you have the bottom stuck in wax.

I guess you could dig out around the wick at the base of the candle if you wanted to use a wick stand.

My final attempt at the square pillar with a wood wick:

Gosh, I am way behind girl! You made an awesome candle girl! Do another pic when you wick w/the smaller wood wick. I would love to see.  I just love the square pillars! :)

Guest OldGlory

Mornin neighbor! Brrrrrr....!!

I was unable to pull out that wick. Where I was able to grab it with pliers it just crumbled. I'm pretty happy with the results, but could go down in size just a smidge. Sadly, wood wicks don't come in a lot of sizes. It either burns the wax or it doesn't, lol.

I did have to wick down that jumbo container I made. I have to let the wax cure a few more days before I begin the test burn to get a true test. I tried a new wick source in this one and it definitely burns differently!

I saw at several sources that they are only available in a few small widths. Most can be stacked to be bigger, but can they be made smaller? Can you trim the wood wicks to be slightly narrower?

Am also intrigued with the tube wood wicks. How different and cool are those???

Guest OldGlory

TallTayl, I think trimming the width is the best option. If you can see that your candle is just slightly overwicked why not?

I am curious about the tube wicks, but goodness how hard would it be to get the right size with those?

TallTayl, I think trimming the width is the best option. If you can see that your candle is just slightly overwicked why not?

I am curious about the tube wicks, but goodness how hard would it be to get the right size with those?

Dunno But how hard with the tubes. Supposedly they work along with a traditional wick (inside the tube). Winter is supposed to be long in my neck of the boonies, so lots of time to play.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...