Wax is soooo addicting!!

Shar

have been wanting to try making wax melts for many years, and I finally ordered some wax recently, and I must say it might be more addicting than making soap! I love it! The first supplier wax I ordered was Tennesee Candles Celestial votive wax..I only got 4 lbs. to test out, and see if I could get a nice throwing melt. I used 2 lbs. Of wax to begin with and melted in my presto pot. I used I ounce fo/ppo wax as instructed, and melted wax at 185 degrees. I then ladeled my wax into pouring pot that was on my tared out scale, added fo and thoroughly stirred, and poured into molds. I waited a couple days and tested the spicy apples and peaches in my warmers- one is a plate style and the other is a scentsy. It was throwing very lightly. Not very pleased with my results..sooo I researched quite a bit on this forum and had a lightbulb moment when I read a thread that Chandlerwicks commented on about making sure that the temperature stays at the 185 temp when mixing in the fo so that it binds to the wax.

THANK YOU CHANDLERWICKS!!!

. I realized that my cold pouring pot and cold fo was probably the problem for my weak throw- Causing a drop in temp and the fo not properly binding. I had 2 lbs. Of wax left to experiment...

I heated the wax in the presto pot to 190 degrees, and while the wax was melting, I had a pot of boiling water to heat up my pouring pot. I measured out the amount of fo into a small glass measuring cup, and heated some water in microwave, and then placed my cup of fo into this water bath to keep it warm.

It worked! Much better throw now:)

Thanks to all of you that contribute on this board, for it really is a wealth of knowledge!

I had to order some supplies from NG, and couldn't resist trying more wax,lol!!

It's on the way:) I ordered palm pillar wax and NG soy (which is suppose to be 415.. Any tips for blending these two?

Could I do a 50/50 blend? With the palm, the directions are to melt to 210 degrees, and 415 should be melted at 185. Please advise..

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Shar, there is a more immediate result with melts :)  Pretty soon you will be pouring candles too!

But if you stop making soap I'll cry.

Edited by OldGlory

have been wanting to try making wax melts for many years, and I finally ordered some wax recently, and I must say it might be more addicting than making soap! I love it! The first supplier wax I ordered was Tennesee Candles Celestial votive wax..I only got 4 lbs. to test out, and see if I could get a nice throwing melt. I used 2 lbs. Of wax to begin with and melted in my presto pot. I used I ounce fo/ppo wax as instructed, and melted wax at 185 degrees. I then ladeled my wax into pouring pot that was on my tared out scale, added fo and thoroughly stirred, and poured into molds. I waited a couple days and tested the spicy apples and peaches in my warmers- one is a plate style and the other is a scentsy. It was throwing very lightly. Not very pleased with my results..sooo I researched quite a bit on this forum and had a lightbulb moment when I read a thread that Chandlerwicks commented on about making sure that the temperature stays at the 185 temp when mixing in the fo so that it binds to the wax.

THANK YOU CHANDLERWICKS!!!

. I realized that my cold pouring pot and cold fo was probably the problem for my weak throw- Causing a drop in temp and the fo not properly binding. I had 2 lbs. Of wax left to experiment...

I heated the wax in the presto pot to 190 degrees, and while the wax was melting, I had a pot of boiling water to heat up my pouring pot. I measured out the amount of fo into a small glass measuring cup, and heated some water in microwave, and then placed my cup of fo into this water bath to keep it warm.

It worked! Much better throw now:)

Thanks to all of you that contribute on this board, for it really is a wealth of knowledge!

I had to order some supplies from NG, and couldn't resist trying more wax,lol!!

It's on the way:) I ordered palm pillar wax and NG soy (which is suppose to be 415.. Any tips for blending these two?

Could I do a 50/50 blend? With the palm, the directions are to melt to 210 degrees, and 415 should be melted at 185. Please advise..

Hee....hee......You GO girl!!! :) Addicting??!!! Yessssssss Ma'am! ....But do not stop making the soap ...just make it ALL !  :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

Shar, there is a more immediate result with melts :)  Pretty soon you will be pouring candles too!

But if you stop making soap I'll cry.

Soap is my first love, so no worries,lol:) I'd have a lot of upset customers if I did that.. with all the soap and lotion making I never had time to dabble in the wax, but always wanted to.. having fun experimenting..I had to give up my day job after having knee surgery in March and now have more play time:) I have osteoarthritis and was suffering with pain over the last year. Exploratory arthroscopic surgery was done and my knee cap had shifted, so the surgeon did a lateral release, took physical therapy for 6 weeks, and still in pain. Ortho Dr. told me last monday that there is still too much pressure on my kneecap, and will have to have more surgery.arghh!

I'm putting it off for now..with holidays coming up, I don't want to go through it again right now...

As far as candles go, nope,nope don't want to go there after researching,lol..too much testing, time, and money involved..I'd like to make decent melts for Christmas gifts though as most of my family have the electric warmers. I will probably hoard most of tnem for my house though!

• Like 2

Soap is my first love, so no worries,lol:) I'd have a lot of upset customers if I did that.. with all the soap and lotion making I never had time to dabble in the wax, but always wanted to.. having fun experimenting..I had to give up my day job after having knee surgery in March and now have more play time:) I have osteoarthritis and was suffering with pain over the last year. Exploratory arthroscopic surgery was done and my knee cap had shifted, so the surgeon did a lateral release, took physical therapy for 6 weeks, and still in pain. Ortho Dr. told me last monday that there is still too much pressure on my kneecap, and will have to have more surgery.arghh!

I'm putting it off for now..with holidays coming up, I don't want to go through it again right now...

As far as candles go, nope,nope don't want to go there after researching,lol..too much testing, time, and money involved..I'd like to make decent melts for Christmas gifts though as most of my family have the electric warmers. I will probably hoard most of tnem for my house though!

ok...I goofed up trying to like this....so I am telling you I like this! :) LOL!!!

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1