Wicking A Pillar

I need help finding the easiest and least messy way to wick a pillar without a wick pin. I finally came up with a recipe that I am happy with using LX wicks but in order to get an even burn they need to be twisted. I have made a giant mess several times now because wax keeps leaking through the wick hole without the wick pin.

The only time I was succesful was when I loaded the bottom with wick sealer puddy and duck tape around the entire bottom of the mold. Problem is in order to get the pillar out I have to take all of it off to break the seal, which is time consuming and messy in its own right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Do LX wicks come in spool form? If so you can use a generic "jiffy wicker" system. Any piece of foam, and a wick tab should do it, then just thread and twist. You will need a wick bar as well. (see pics) 

If not and you need to use a wick pin, the easiest I've found is to use a well seasoned mold and some stearic in your wax for an easier release, you could also spray with a mold release (I use a silicone spray - see pic).

My molds are so seasoned at this point though that the pillars just slide right out of the mold without having to take the wick pin out of the mold. 

Good luck! 

post-200-0-24636100-1412018589_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-32696400-1412018593_thumb.jpg

post-200-0-61724000-1412018698_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics...and the advice. I am just trying to figure the first option out. Would I just take a piece of spooled wick and thread it through a wick tab and a piece of foam from the bottom of the mold, twist and secure? Do you use anything else to seal the edges of the foam? I tried using a large wick stickum once and even with duct tape I ended up with a steady stream of hot wax dripping through the seams of the tape.

I'm not even sure if LX wicks come in spools but I will check. If I have to use a wick pin is there any creative way to twist the wick that doesn't mess up the top?

Yep, just wick, wick tab and foam. No, I don't add anything else. The only time I get leaks is when I pour too hot. How hot are you pouring? You might be pouring too hot and that's why you end up with the leakage. The hotter the wax, the thinner the liquid which makes it easy to flow through and sometimes will even melt the glue on the wick stickums and duct tape. 

I don't know what you mean by messing up the top if you use a wick pin? if the LX doesn't come in spooling, most likely they will already be tabbed and primed making it almost impossible to twist them, unless you melt the priming off, and then twist and reprime, running the risk of the wick being too short. 

I hope this helps some. Let me know if you have other questions. 

I use a parrafin blend for my pillars and usually pour at 180. I could lower it some but It seems to me when Ive done that in the past the finish was duller and I would get little pits.

So far with this wax combo I have only been using the 3-4" molds for testing with the pre-tabbed LX wicks. In order to try twisting them i have melted the priming off, secured the bottom and twisted while melted the top a little with a heat gun just enough to allow hot wax to fill in around the wick. It works for testing but doesnt make for the prettiest top...and its a pain in the butt. :)

That's what I normally do with my other wicks. The LX wicks curl to one side while burning which has been making my candles burn slighly uneven. It hasnt really affected the quality of the burn its just more of an aesthetic thing for me. Maybe I just need to be not quite as picky.

I need help finding the easiest and least messy way to wick a pillar without a wick pin. I finally came up with a recipe that I am happy with using LX wicks but in order to get an even burn they need to be twisted. I have made a giant mess several times now because wax keeps leaking through the wick hole without the wick pin.

The only time I was succesful was when I loaded the bottom with wick sealer puddy and duck tape around the entire bottom of the mold. Problem is in order to get the pillar out I have to take all of it off to break the seal, which is time consuming and messy in its own right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Glowworm,

I have done the wick pins, screws and also the plugs .....HATED.....I now do what this young lady does with her pillars.....I use plumbers putty 1st spreading out very well over my wick and hole and then place the duct tape over it several times.....works like a CHARM and knock on wood no leaks yet..... :) It seems you have already tried this method, and taking the tape off is a pain in the butt, BUT this is how I will do my pillars from now on as I HATE worrying about leaks. Here is a video where she explains her process and aren't her candles GORGEOUS??!!! IDEAS....IDEAS.... :)

http://youtu.be/D1UT-rta5Qo

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

That's how my candles slide out of my molds as well. They literally just slide right out... 

I love it when they slide out so easily too. I always have ants in my pants because I can't wait to see the end result. A person can always learn something new. She certainly has the knack. :) Pillars are awesome! :)

Thanks for the link Puma. Those candles are beautiful! I'm wondering if she uses any putty or does she just use duct tape. Her wicks were perfect. When I used the mold sealer my wicks always had a little gunk left on them. I'm going to try some tonight...wish me luck.

I use high temp metal/foil tape to plug and hold spooled wick with my metal molds.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Venture-Tape-3243-High-Temperature-Foil-Tape-3-x-150?gclid=CJjHyITnjMECFQusaQodorsAMA

Works for me with beeswax and palm.

Tried putty and hated it. Tried screws and got sick of messed up wick. The tape works easily every time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Puma. Those candles are beautiful! I'm wondering if she uses any putty or does she just use duct tape. Her wicks were perfect. When I used the mold sealer my wicks always had a little gunk left on them. I'm going to try some tonight...wish me luck.

Good luck there Glowworm! Hope everything turns out perfect for you! :) You know she said nothing about the putty...but I always put it on... I hear ya about the gunk on the wicks....sigh. No matter what.....I think this is about as perfect as you can get to seal your pillar and end up with the least amount of work. :)   

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

I use high temp metal/foil tape to plug and hold spooled wick with my metal molds.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Venture-Tape-3243-High-Temperature-Foil-Tape-3-x-150?gclid=CJjHyITnjMECFQusaQodorsAMA

Works for me with beeswax and palm.

Tried putty and hated it. Tried screws and got sick of messed up wick. The tape works easily every time.

Hey thanks for the link TallTayl on the metal/foil tape. :) I looked for it at Walmart and could not find...do you order this or have you found it at a local supplier?  I use the duct tape and it worked fine BUT I was looking for this kind of tape. Did I overlook it or does it need to be special ordered? Thanks bunches Talltayl! :) Before we all know it, with everyone's input we will have this all down pat and be cranking out the most perfect pillars around. :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

Hey thanks for the link TallTayl on the metal/foil tape. :) I looked for it at Walmart and could not find...do you order this or have you found it at a local supplier?  I use the duct tape and it worked fine BUT I was looking for this kind of tape. Did I overlook it or does it need to be special ordered? Thanks bunches Talltayl! :) Before we all know it, with everyone's input we will have this all down pat and be cranking out the most perfect pillars around. :)

Ask your husband for his tape he puts around heating & air conditioning tubes. Oh brother, they are the tubes that blow the air from vent to vent in the ceilings. Can't remember what they are called.

It can be bought at Lowes or HD, that's where mine always bought it. Expensive tape.

• Like 1

I found it locally in my home improvement store with the HVAC materials. The big roll i found was branded as aluminum duct tape. It is VERY different from normal duct tape.

Some waxes, like palm, may need an amped up version to handle the super high heat without leaks. In the automotive section of my local Farm store i found a high temp metal tape used for exhaust systems. Less per roll, but it works very well. Any auto store should have that one.

I have found that as long as i really press the tape well to clean molds leakage is minimal. I use 2 pieces of tape in a criss cross over the wick. No more goopy wicks from putty. If a wee bit leaks, the wick becomes pre-primed.

• Like 1

Ask your husband for his tape he puts around heating & air conditioning tubes. Oh brother, they are the tubes that blow the air from vent to vent in the ceilings. Can't remember what they are called.

It can be bought at Lowes or HD, that's where mine always bought it. Expensive tape.

Thanks Chandlerwicks...I was back at Walmart tonight and did not find it there so on to someplace else, but yes even the tapes Walmart had is like buying gold...6-7$ for some tapes. Oh what we won't do to make an awesome pillar! :)

I found it locally in my home improvement store with the HVAC materials. The big roll i found was branded as aluminum duct tape. It is VERY different from normal duct tape.

Some waxes, like palm, may need an amped up version to handle the super high heat without leaks. In the automotive section of my local Farm store i found a high temp metal tape used for exhaust systems. Less per roll, but it works very well. Any auto store should have that one.

I have found that as long as i really press the tape well to clean molds leakage is minimal. I use 2 pieces of tape in a criss cross over the wick. No more goopy wicks from putty. If a wee bit leaks, the wick becomes pre-primed.

I am so glad that this thread came about...always something new to learn. Thanks so much TallTayl! Appreciate it. :)

• Like 1

Success!!! Seeing I was using soy today and could pour cooler I tried only using duct tape pressed very tightly around the wick in a crisscross pattern like the video. I warmed the mold slightly in the oven because last night I poured into a room temp mold and although I had no leaks I did have a few little pits and a rougher looking finish. Tonight, thanks to everyones help, for the first time ever I unmolded a beautiful candy corn pillar, no pits, no leaks and a squeaky clean wick. I'm sure tomorrow will bring a new dilemma/disaster but for tonight I am so happy. :)

I am definitely going to check into that aluminium tape for my parrifin and palm pillars...I never would have thought of that. Thank you guys for the great advice!

• Like 3

Thanks Chandlerwicks...I was back at Walmart tonight and did not find it there so on to someplace else, but yes even the tapes Walmart had is like buying gold...6-7$ for some tapes. Oh what we won't do to make an awesome pillar! :)

I am so glad that this thread came about...always something new to learn. Thanks so much TallTayl! Appreciate it. :)

It only takes a small amount.. I believe it costs around $15 or $16 a roll. It has a paper backing to keep it from sticking to itself.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

It only takes a small amount.. I believe it costs around $15 or $16 a roll. It has a paper backing to keep it from sticking to itself.

A roll lasts me through several hundred pillars. Totally worth it, esp since i used to lose the screws and would take forever to set them all in the molds, lol.

• Like 1

So glad I ran across this thread, I am tired of putty and wick pins, I don't pour at high temps, but sometimes leaks just happend when I least expect it.  Going to try this , hopefully my local walmart has it.

Success!!! Seeing I was using soy today and could pour cooler I tried only using duct tape pressed very tightly around the wick in a crisscross pattern like the video. I warmed the mold slightly in the oven because last night I poured into a room temp mold and although I had no leaks I did have a few little pits and a rougher looking finish. Tonight, thanks to everyones help, for the first time ever I unmolded a beautiful candy corn pillar, no pits, no leaks and a squeaky clean wick. I'm sure tomorrow will bring a new dilemma/disaster but for tonight I am so happy. :)

I am definitely going to check into that aluminium tape for my parrifin and palm pillars...I never would have thought of that. Thank you guys for the great advice!

AWESOME!!! Congrats!! :02:

• Like 1

Chandlerwicks,

I think that I will go buy this tape @ Lowes this next week and I will ALSO try to go without the putty. Anything that makes pillar candle making easier, I am all for! Thanks dear! :) 

• Like 1

Ok went to home depot and got a roll of the extreme weather foil tape it was $21.00 use it on my alum mold 3 x 6.5 with feather palm wax I just use the tape no putty and OMG! It came out really nice without the Ickes look with the putty, thanks for the info the temp of the tape is -35f to 260f. I love this forum. My wick is very nice. Thanks again.

• Like 3