Burning Essential Oils in Candles: Safe or No? Looking for a True Study

I get asked at least once a day at events if my beeswax and soy candles are made with essential oils. Apparently people "believe" after hearing about YL, doTerra, etc. that there's some therapeutic benefit to burning candles made with essential oils versus unscented, fragrance oil engineered for candles, etc. The common message about those groups is that anything else is "toxic".

Seems so many people misunderstand the safe use of essential oils and what the word "toxic" means thinking anything "natural" is safe and better than something designed by labs. I had to question the safety of burning essential oils.

After reading around i found only one snippet from a study (i am still searching for that full study) concerning burning essential oils. It confirms my thoughts.

"Essential oils once burned are converted into toxins such as acetone, benzene, toluene, soot and particulate matter. This can cause a grey film (soot residue) that collects around electrical switches, sockets and electrical appliances. Essential oils and candles do not mix. The air pollution from burned oils can be dangerous especially when used regularly or profusely." My note: The natural aroma from beeswax candles smell beautiful on their own, without adding essential oils. Or you can create the same ambience of scented candles, by lighting candles and diffusing essential oils."

Has anyone else ever found studies, papers (peer reviewed would be great) either supporting or contradicting safety of burning essential oils?

Guest OldGlory

I have read lots of books, articles, etc, about essential oils and I have never seen anything in print about the effects of using essential oils in candles. I can't help you with that, sorry.

It worries me that people associate "natural" with "always good for you", and that just isn't the case. Hemlock is natural - and hemlock can kill you, lol. When it comes to people asking about essential oils, I try to make a point about knowing what you are doing before going down this road. It is very risky even when you have a good working knowledge of EOs. I know it is a temptation to give your customers what they want, but it's not always a good idea. Gotta think for yourself and protect your business.

It worries me that people associate "natural" with "always good for you", and that just isn't the case. Hemlock is natural - and hemlock can kill you, 

I wish there was a HUGE like button for this statement. I tell people this all the time when they are spouting Natural = Good, and when they say if it's found in nature it's automatically good for you. Like you said, Hemlock, is found in nature - as is arsenic, Poison ivy, Poison oak (I mean, come ON - it has the word POISON right in them!!) and several other fatal, or sickening substances. All natural. 

And now I will slowly slither off of my soap box and go about my business. LOL 

Sorry, TallTayl, I know nothing about EO's and I don't use them in candles, so can't help you at all. I am just barely starting to do some extensive research into them to put in my soaps. I've done a bit of research on Orange 5x and Cubeba Litsea. Oh and Lemongrass. Those 3 are the only EO's I've ever used and own. 

No worries OldGlory, i do not ever plan to pander to the EO and all-natural-must-be-better crowd. EColi, MRSA, flesh eating bacteria, strep, snake venom and such are all natural and not "good". The list is endless.

There is real danger, and perceived benefits, to EO's versus synthetic that I won't go into here.

Just looking to see if anyone has ever seen scientific proof that burning EO's in candles is safe, let alone beneficial. The perception that burning eo's is safer than engineered fragrance oils is full of holes without analysis. The absence of the data tells me more than the sheeple who insist natural is always better out of an emotional reaction, hysteria, fear or just plain lack of understanding of infectious disease.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Talltayl, you seem very knowledgeable, capable and willing to investigate, so my response was not directed toward you. Not at all.

I think there may be some sensitivity issues with FOs, heck there are probably people who can't tolerate EOs either. I tend to agree with the lack of actual and real evidence being critically important. That's one government study I do NOT want to fund, lol.

LOL, OG. I know, right?

I get so fed up with people telling me their "all natural" EO curative/preparation/candle/whatever is superior, or that I "need" to make XYZ, but yet have no evidence whatsoever. The assumption is based on nothing other than wanting to believe... Sensitivities can happen to anyone for anything.

It's exhausting. EO's are being overused; Tea Tree sensitivities and all out allergic reactions are on the rise at an alarming rate, for instance.

Guest OldGlory

Well I don't know how many different Tea Tree EOs you have smelled, but there is a wide variety of odors - some most likely due to the method of distillation, and some due to the very nature of all "NATURAL" products. It's not regulated. I remember a friend bought some Tea Tree from Walmart and LOVED it so much - and to me it smelled like rubber tires. Probably solvent distilled, but there was no indication on the bottle.

Those customers who are going on and on about how superior EOs would be in candles are full of hot air and in love with the sound of their own voices. It would be such a temptation to mess with them, lol. Sigh!

Edited by OldGlory

I consider myself a pretty well read person.  I can go toe-to-toe with any chest beating self righteous individual when it comes to natural, organic etc.   I start polite and let them make their points first to see where they have learned their information from before adding my knowledge to the conversation.  I don't get nasty or mean, unless I have to.....

:)

I have NEVER read ANYTHING that proves essential oil candles are anything beneficial to the air quality or aromatherapy value.  I have read plenty where people are trying to convince others that their "natural" soy or even beeswax will somehow clean the air, improve your health and a whole lot of horse puckey.

Combustion is combustion is combustion.  You get complete combustion or incomplete combustion.  ALL combustion produces "stuff" in the process.  ALL combustibles are from natural sources, straight up or refined from natural sources.  You burn it, you get stuff.  That's about as scientific as I can put it, I'm a Baker and an Artist not a scientist.  :)

If a customer is questioning the use of pure essential oils over a synthetic fragrance I smile and point them to a water vapor system with a tealight or electric warming plate or reed diffusers.  If they don't mind the tealight, that is what I recommend and it is what I use myself.  I use a tealight warmer, a little water in the top and a few drops of essential oils and it gently puts the scent in a small area, some will fill my living room and drift around, but usually a small area.  If they don't want the burning of a tealight then just plug in one of the many lightbulb wax warming systems with the same water and a few drops.  Don't let the water run out and problem solved.

I know I have read in the descriptions of fragrance oils that essential oils are used in the blend sometimes.  So they have to be as safe to burn as the fragrance oil is.  What is safe to burn?  Does anyone REALLY know.  It all depends on who paid for the study to be done as to the trustworthyness of the outcome.

I agree with the "hemlock is natural" and it's funny because I have used that EXACT line myself!!!!  Hemlock grows all around here, I'll bet very few people know that. 

Chew on the plant leaves and you get a lift, refine it down to a white powder and you get cocaine that can kill you....but it's NATURAL!!!!

• Like 2