Simple and affordable vs. larger and elegant

Just curious of everyone's opinion. What size/style candle do you think customers prefer? I ask because while I use 8 oz jj, I used to play around with the 4 oz size for fun. My aunt is always asking me if I have any of those left. She says she likes smaller candles because she gets sick of the same scent quickly.. but come on, 8 oz is NOT large. Personally I think she just likes the lower price points.

With that said, which type of candle do prefer and have success selling:

simple, smaller candles in jelly jars/salsa jars/hex jars because they're affordable,

or larger, more expensive candles in apothecary jars/status jars/etc because they look so elegant and classy?
I'd love to hear anyone's opinion! :)

My 16oz and 5oz Apothecaries sell about equally well, but out of the 2 I personally prefer to burn the 16oz. I have an open floor multi-level house and the bigger candle throws the scent throughout the whole house where as the 5 ozs throw only throughout the bottom and mid floors usually.  

Guest OldGlory

I sell wholesale, and my results may not be the same as your results. However, I think it provides a good idea of what sizes sell the best, across the board.

I sell a 2 oz, and 8 oz, and a 16 oz  to this one client with 8 stores (that is the size of the jar, not the fill of the wax or nt wt). If I were to average the % of pieces for each order the different sizes represented would look something like this:

2 oz  - 35% of the pieces

8 oz  - 50%

16 oz  - 15%

As you can see, the middle sizes represent 50% of my sales to this client. Considering the retail prices, the worst value is the small one (least amount of wax/dollar). The best value is the large jar (most wax/dollar). The middle size, in my estimation, represents very middle of the road customers. They will spend more to get a better value than the small one, but don't want to commit to the larger one. I've been selling to this client for 10+ years, so I think the larger ones are bought by repeat customers.

It all depends on your market and how you work to control it.

For my summer-long event where i specialize in beeswax, i make 3 sizes and shapes of pillar:

2 inch wide by 4 tall mini pillars (approx 4 oz),

3x4 round (approx 15 oz) and

3x4 square (approx 20 oz).

I sell the most (by a huge margin) of the large squares because, even though they are the highest tag, they are the best overall value.

I also make a few 3inch round and 3 inch round by 12 tall pillars and they sell out at a pretty price to specific people.

Containers, i only offer 8 oz tins, so no quibbling over pricing and sizes. Not one person has been sad about not having the option of something smaller. If they want it badly enough they buy what i have.

I make 4oz and 8oz jelly jars, as well as 16oz masons and some various other seasonal stuff.

I sell my 4oz jellies for $6 or 2 for $10. That 2 for $10 deal is- by a landslide- what I sell the most of.

But I do a lot of farmers' markets and pop up markets where people might not be looking to buy candles and that 2 for $10 deal is a really easy, guilt free impulse purchase.

Just curious of everyone's opinion. What size/style candle do you think customers prefer? I ask because while I use 8 oz jj, I used to play around with the 4 oz size for fun. My aunt is always asking me if I have any of those left. She says she likes smaller candles because she gets sick of the same scent quickly.. but come on, 8 oz is NOT large. Personally I think she just likes the lower price points.

With that said, which type of candle do prefer and have success selling:

simple, smaller candles in jelly jars/salsa jars/hex jars because they're affordable,

or larger, more expensive candles in apothecary jars/status jars/etc because they look so elegant and classy?

I'd love to hear anyone's opinion! :)

Hi Daisy Mae, 

I sell more of the 8 oz square masons than anything else, BUT I do NOT discount the customer who WANTS the bigger, classier and elegant choices, because they ARE out there also. If you are able to, offer those other sizes as it opens up your line and gives your customer more choices to choose from which they love. :)  I have sold quite a few of the 21 oz Status Jars (LOVE and elegant) , the 24 oz Thumbprint Jars (big and awesome...sold quite a few of these last Christmas for $20 each...what sold them was beautiful bright eye-catching labels on top w/4x2 kraft label with beautiful pics on the front and of course the awesome scent which usually clinches the deal) and also the large 24 oz tapered glass jar which I consider elegant. It is important that as a business, you offer the customer as wonderful a line as you can....they LOVE different items they can buy that Walmart, etc does not offer and they LOVE that YOU can make it in the scent THEY desire. :)  There are customers out there who also want tea lights, votives, melting tarts, pillars, gel pies, hand rolled cinnamon buns and the list goes on and on ....they love the choices you are able to give them. :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

I have found lugs on 12oz salsa jars (8 fl oz) gives me the best of both worlds. Customers want an easy lid to get off, that looks nice and keeps the candle clean. The screw on caps can be a hassle for older customers and the fitment type are out of the question. My customers refuse jelly jars and no one has asked for prim. The salsa jars are laid back with gold lids that look fine enough for most rooms. The hot throw is the same for either the 12 or 16 oz salsa jars, as they have the same diameter. Larger candles mean fewer times for the customer to come back in a given period; so I prefer they buy the smaller candle. Economic times are tough on luxury items.

Steve

We sell wholesale and retail. We offer 12 ounce status and 22 ounce cube jars. Our wholesale customers start with both sizes but usually switch to the 22 ounce by the second or third order. Retail, it depends.  Customers who have not tried us before buy the 12 ounce. Most of our regular customers, including mail-order buy the 22 ounce. So, I believe that if the products are an unknown, customers go with a smaller jar (less risk if it's a poor candle). Customers who are satisfied with the product buy larger versions. This especially seems to work if the candle is a gift. I haven't noticed that "classy" jars necessarily sell better just because they are "classy". To me, from my experience, a nice jar and label validates the candle. For me it is a good thing when someone comes into our store and asks if we are a franchise or where to find the franchise stores in their home city.