What's the name of that permanent wick glue?

I've been using dual temperature glue sticks but want something more efficient, stronger. They always work great for my paraffin and soy candles but not always 100% on my palm.

I remember sometime back people posting about using a perma bond glue? or something like that.  That's what I am trying to remember is the name of that glue. I am looking for a bond so tight you can't pry the tab off if you wanted to.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

i think you are asking about Permatex Red High Temp RTV Silicone. A while ago I posted about finding better wick stickers and that's what come up. (My thread was called wick stickers, in general candle making). I haven't tried it yet.

I have been using the permatex red and what a mess- I must be a clutz but I must say it works....I tried a couple tester jars with this and I can't get them off! I think I was using way too much at first and now, please correct me if I am wrong, I only use a touch and it sometimes doesn't even cover the whole base of the wick tab....but I make sure the part where the wick is clamped into is covered- hopefully that is right or else I am in trouble.....I always used wick stickers and never had a problem but I didn't want to all of the sudden get one so I switched and it's hard to remember to wick your jars ahead of time- most times I don't plan a candle day I make them as I feel like it and have found I have no jars wicked- plus I use 3 different wicks but I am starting to he the hang of being prepared and wicking a box here and there

Yep, that stuff - the red one is on for good.  I wound up using it one day when I ran out of stickums.  That is what Stella recommended and it sure does work!  :Like JC said you need pliers to pry them out of the jar and even then it's hard.

One time I ordered stickums from a company other than BCN where I will only buy them from and I had dozens of jars already made into candles and a couple of the jars  out of that batch had the wicks floating in the candles because of the stickums.  You talk about a mess redoing candles?   Oh my word!   I don't even want to think about that entire week.  I will only buy my stickums from BCN and no other place.

Trappeur

My concern for changing out my glue is not because of any "floating" wicks. The dual temp hot glue I have been using you have to pry the wick off with pliers. It is really stuck good. The problem is when the candle burns down to the wick I think the heat from the flame softens the glue. Anyway, I have had a couple tester candles where the wick came lose at the end of the candle burn and the wick would "travel".

So I am not fooled by how strong the glue seems. I thought it was perfect because its really tough to pry the wick out of the jar once its glued on. But the end result was that an occasional wick came unglued near the end of the candle burn.

So has anyone using the Permatex Red had this happen?

• Like 1

So are you saying Candybee that the "traveling wick" that came unglued included the the stickum and metal tab with the wick?   That is what I meant on mine.  I got a bad batch of stickums one time so the whole wick which included the stickums and metal tab pulled away from the bottom of the jar.   So when I used the permatex red glue, I glued the silicone to the bottom of the metal tab and secured it.   I just wasn't sure what you meant.

The glue that I used was the one that Stella recommended.

It is high temperature silicone gasket sealer by Permatex.  It's not clear but red.

I have never had the wick base become unglued using it for me.

Trappeur

• Like 1

No I wasn't using any wick stickums. I use a dual temp (high heat) glue stick and glue gun. I hot glue the wicks to the jars. I'm saying the glue sticks like a rock and is practically imposible to pry up once its dry. The glue only becomes unstable and may unstick when it gets heated from the candle flame as it approaches the end of the wick and reaches or is close to the tab. The tab then starts to float around in the jar if the glue fails.

I think its important to note that I use container palm wax and the wicks burn tall and hotter than say a soy wick. So the flame produces more heat especially as it burns deeper into the candle. Its at its highest temp in the bottom part of the candle.

Edited by Candybee

Ok, gotcha!

I remember Stella saying 1 time in a post that she never trusted hot temp glue sticks because of what you said of the possibility one coming loose and she only used that silicone gasket sealer.  When I saw that post, I knew if anyone was good at suggestions, she certainly was and I went with her judgement.

That stuff she recommended 1 teeney little dab in the middle of the metal tab as when you pushed down on it when installing it in the jar, it would spread and it worked like a charm.

Trappeur :) 

• Like 2